Question for guys with 10-rib Griptec

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Does your belt sit with this spacing on the pulley? It seems to sit too close on the front of the pulley. It looks like it sits this way on all the ribbed pulleys but I just broke or shredded a belt and I want to make sure it's not because something is out of alignment.

Thanks
IMG_5809.JPG
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm about to install mine in a few weeks. I'll post back. Problem number one is that you're using a belt that whipple specifically advises against. You should use the green belt. It stretches more and allows more forgiveness on harsh/rapid load or release, so if you're going to ru that belt, as I understand it, the instructions for the tensioner no longer work, it's supposed to be reversed (in where the default position of the tensioner is in relation to fully open/closed)

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Does your belt sit with this spacing on the pulley? It seems to sit too close on the front of the pulley. It looks like it sits this way on all the ribbed pulleys but I just broke or shredded a belt and I want to make sure it's not because something is out of alignment.

Thanks
IMG_5809.JPG
You need a Gates green belt. Part number ends with HD.

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Thanks guys. It’s not the belt per se. Even the standard micro V that came with the kit sits the same way. I finally took a good look at it yesterday and the belt is actually sitting on top of the ribs and not in between. I have a green belt that does the same thing. I had a friend start the car and you can watch the belt jump right over into the ribs. I took the old belt off and noticed little slits in the middle of the ribs and that’s would helped me realize what’s going on. Something is out of alignment so I need to figure that out next. Or I’ll end up making a spacer to go behind the pulley.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You may indeed have an alignment issue, but the point we're trying to make is that whipple specifically says not to run that belt. So even if you get it all sorted with alignment, you MIGHT still have issues. Lots of people were complaining about thrown belts when using it. There's lengthy threads elsewhere describing the issue. The belt is too static and gives grief with the tensioner under certain conditions. That's why whipple recommends the green HD belts with the specific tensioner rest position. Good luck and post back whatever you work out
Sponsored