Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I hate to risk sounding like an ass, but my issues are well documented in this thread. I don't really want to type them for the 3rd time. High IAT2's...
lol
No problem brother. Just keep us posted on what they technicians figure out. :thumbsup:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
There are 21+ different things that can control throttle blade angle. Myself and others have had similar issues with throttle closing on the whipple seemingly inexplicably. In every case, whipple worked it out with cal revisions. You guys need to log “torque source” and see what number it reads out when this happens.
Maybe.. BUT.. My car runs just dandy on the street when it's got air flow to keep the IAT2's low.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Several sources now have driving reviews of the new GT500. In describing the supercharger/intercooler set-up, they say:

"It flipped the blower assembly upside down. Why? Because it slightly lowers the center of gravity by putting the heaviest bits—the impeller screws—as low in the package as possible. That means the lighter intercooler portion sits on top of the assembly, the whole of which is slotted into the valley between the engine's cylinder banks."

Interesting that they point out the advantage of lower center of gravity rather than the advantage of better cooling. Is Roush now the only one who continues to put the intercooler in the hottest place?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Several sources now have driving reviews of the new GT500. In describing the supercharger/intercooler set-up, they say:

"It flipped the blower assembly upside down. Why? Because it slightly lowers the center of gravity by putting the heaviest bits—the impeller screws—as low in the package as possible. That means the lighter intercooler portion sits on top of the assembly, the whole of which is slotted into the valley between the engine's cylinder banks."

Interesting that they point out the advantage of lower center of gravity rather than the advantage of better cooling. Is Roush now the only one who continues to put the intercooler in the hottest place?
Fords being nice, gravity yes but let’s be honest they did it because they could run a bigger intercooler just like whipple, eb and soon to be vmp

Let’s see what Roush comes up with on their kit, it’s basically the only 18+ with the inter cooler brick still under the blower

You & I may have to go custom tuned eb or whipple if we want the best performance

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I am really looking forward to SEMA where hopefully details of phase 2 are introduced. Maybe they have found a way to make their system more heat resistant....assuming heat is the primary enemy with their set-up.

Beefcake (and others) will have some good deals on EB tuner kits on Black Friday....but probably again around Christmas or New Years. We should know more about the Roush P2 by then.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am really looking forward to SEMA where hopefully details of phase 2 are introduced. Maybe they have found a way to make their system more heat resistant....assuming heat is the primary enemy with their set-up.

Beefcake (and others) will have some good deals on EB tuner kits on Black Friday....but probably again around Christmas or New Years. We should know more about the Roush P2 by then.
For sure, Terry’s prices r great but I think we’ll know A LOT after Sema

If the P2 is nothing more that a revised tune and the OS HE they have now I’d be discouraged, of course I’m just a bicycle mechanic and not a roush engineer so I’ll just wait out :like:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Nothing really to see here but at least there is confirmation that there will be a cooling upgrade and that there is a warranty. No detail on what the cooling upgrade is.

upload_2019-10-29_10-57-5.png

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe.. BUT.. My car runs just dandy on the street when it's got air flow to keep the IAT2's low.
There was another poster with 18+ Roush who logged the speed limiter kicking in for some unknown reason at 125mph. I have noticed the exact same thing. There's a blip at 125 and then takes back off. At least for me it takes back off. Seems to do so when it upshifts and then acceleration is back to being normal again up to around 140mph were I start slowing down. There seems to be several issues different people are having in addition to heat soak.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
There was another poster with 18+ Roush who logged the speed limiter kicking in for some unknown reason at 125mph. I have noticed the exact same thing. There's a blip at 125 and then takes back off. At least for me it takes back off. Seems to do so when it upshifts and then acceleration is back to being normal again up to around 140mph were I start slowing down. There seems to be several issues different people are having in addition to heat soak.
I have not had this happen, and I have gone plenty past 125-140mph. There should not even be a speed limiter in place with the SC and tune? When I got mine done, all that was gone with the tune.

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Lucky me 1000th post... Roush factory tune should have a 155 mph speed limiter. I’ve hit the limiter on the dyno every time in 4th gear MT82.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Lucky me 1000th post... Roush factory tune should have a 155 mph speed limiter. I’ve hit the limiter on the dyno every time in 4th gear MT82.
I believe this is correct.
Same as my '13 Roush Stage 3 car.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Well guys, I "think" I have an answer.
Let's look at these supercharger intercoolers. The Roush and the GT500 supercharger looks like they are about the same size, but the GT500 has their intercooler on top of the blades as opposed to the Roush where the intercooler is underneath. The engineers at Ford did the invertered intercooler to keep the car cool when on the track as well as the drag strip. The Roush intercooler looks a little too small.

First is the roush, then the Edelbrock and then the new GT500 supercharger intercoolers below.

roush-mustang-phase-1-supercharger-kit-700hp-18-19-gt-422090_e79885a4.jpg

edelbrock-super-sizes-tvs-blower-performance-for-modern-fords-0004.jpg

008-Shelby-2020-GT500-Engine-Development-lpr.jpg

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well guys, I "think" I have an answer.
Let's look at these supercharger intercoolers. The Roush and the GT500 supercharger looks like they are about the same size, but the GT500 has their intercooler on top of the blades as opposed to the Roush where the intercooler is underneath. The engineers at Ford did the invertered intercooler to keep the car cool when on the track as well as the drag strip. The Roush intercooler looks a little too small.

First is the roush, then the Edelbrock and then the new GT500 supercharger intercoolers below.

roush-mustang-phase-1-supercharger-kit-700hp-18-19-gt-422090_e79885a4.jpg

edelbrock-super-sizes-tvs-blower-performance-for-modern-fords-0004.jpg

008-Shelby-2020-GT500-Engine-Development-lpr.jpg
We’ve know this for months, not trying to be a smart ass but the 15-17 inter cooler brick was bigger and because it was a rear fed u could run a bigger TB

These r the two biggest flaws in the 18+ kit (TB sizing and small Inter cooler brick)

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Wow, just watched Alex Flores and Lund Sr. talking live chat answering many questions

So they specifically spoke about the Roush 15-17 Gen 2 vs Roush 18-20 Gen 3 kit, they confirmed the TB blades do close if the car see’s High IATS on the Roush Tune. The 15-17 rear feed unit’s were better because of inter cooler brick being larger.

And the Gen 3 doesn’t recovery nearly as fast as a Gen 2, actually they said it’s BAD and is very slow to drop heat after being soaked. Again this is in a drag race setting.

Now they liked the Roush Gen 2 and the VMP unit’s just not much love for the Gen 3

It’s what most have been experiencing in this post who own Gen 3’s, when racing the car.

They both love the Whipple & EB but again would rather see you custom tune for better, reliable power. Lund Sr. has a whipple on his GT350, he feels the Whipple tune is a bit lean in canned form, he never said u should run octane booster but from what we’ve seen lately that would make sense. I’m patiently waiting to see what mods are coming to address this problem and what the upgrade is to the Phase 3

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had this happen, and I have gone plenty past 125-140mph. There should not even be a speed limiter in place with the SC and tune? When I got mine done, all that was gone with the tune.
I have only been to the 1/4 track with my 2018 Roush car once. Was 90F (32 C). Not sure what the DA was that day. But it was hot lol. Running 305 NT05R in the rear. All stock 401A car, full weight...including my fat butt in the driverseat. My best run was a 1.6 60', 7.0 1/8th and a 10.9 at 125MPH. I was having a tune issue...logs showed popcorn and speed limiter engaged at 125mph every run. It would kick in at approx the 1200' mark. I am super busy this summer so haven't had much time to test. That and the nearest track is a 5 hour drive for me. Once things settle down I will be doing some logging and going with a PBD tune. I feel mid 10's and low 130's is for sure obtainable. I did not purchased this car to run 9's. (although I'd like too lol). I bought this car on a whim...it was an executive Ford demo with the supercharger already installed. Had 2000 miles when I bought it. Paid less than the MSRP sticker price WITH the blower installed. All at 0% financing. I saw it, and l liked it, so I bought it. Sure its not the fastest mustang out there...but it will blow the factory Michelin's out at will...and runs like a swiss watch on long road trips.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/roush-700hp-supercharger.108529/

I have the july tune not the latest. I see the same thing at 125mph. Btw, the above time in heat is crazy good for a Roush tune.