Sponsored

Quality coil over suspension at a competitive price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
We've been sitting on this for a little while wanting to try this out before we offered it up....

We are now selling a new coil-over suspension kit for S550 Mustang manufactured by Pedders. Who the heck are they? - I hear you ask - (I said the same thing). Pedders are a very well established Australian suspension supplier who have been making suspension since 1950 and are well known in the antipodes having been a sponsor for the mighty V8 Supercars in recent years. With the introduction of the RHD S550 Mustang the Australians, like us, have started to develop their own aftermarket products and this coil-over kit is a great example of what that can produce.

We fitted the Pedders kit to the Pro Alloy demo car on Friday. I drove the car home and back to work on Friday and Saturday over roads I drive every day and have know where all the lumps, bumps and potholes are - about 40 miles in total of mostly country lanes. We didn't have a chance to run a four wheel alignment but had to settle for setting it up by eye. Having said that, the transformation is dramatic. The car feels far more controllable and precise, turn in is sharper and steering feel much improved. There is an increase in firmness (as you'd expect) but no real increase in harshness which is important.

The overwhelming improvement in my opinion is in body control. Whereas before you aimed the car through a corner you now feel you can place the car with far more confidence. We set the ride height at a fairly low level (between the Eibach Pro Kit and Sportline spring heights) as we had the car on display for our Open Day on Monday and a dramatic stance certainly makes more of a statement. We also fitted 25mm Eibach wheel spacers front and rear.

We left the damping as set from the factory (8 clicks off hardest setting) and I think that's a very good starting point. There are 30 clicks of adjustment in total on both front and rear. This is a combined bump and rebound adjustment. Front damper setting is done on the top mount and the rear is on the top of the rear damper. It'll be interesting to see the effect of changing that in due course. Feedback from our friends at Pro Alloy has been similarly complimentary overall with the added comment that rear grip is improved - possibly due to the geometry changes.

Comparing it to the KW Variant 1 kits that we have fitted I would say that it feels just as composed and of course gives you more opportunity to set the damping as you want. The installation was easier with the Pedders kit as it comes pre-assembled with the unique top mount on the front.

Interesting technical details are that the front dampers adjust into the body of the strut so the spring height and therefore pre-load is not changed keeping the spring in the correct position at any ride height.

Also the rear dampers are height adjustable so that you can set the damper height to match the spring height.

The rear height adjusters are not as easy to alter as the fronts but this is the case on the KW too due to access and the tendency of the top collar to turn on the chassis.

Overall I'm very impressed with the kit and the most impressive thing is the price. I incorrectly listed this on our open day as a higher figure so this makes it even better value. The price of the kit is just £799 including VAT.

We offer fitting for £165 and an optional four wheel alignment for £85 (all including VAT).

Get in touch if you want to know any more.....
Sponsored

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Seems very good at just over £1k fitted and dialled in :thumbsup:

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Looks like pretty good value for money. Thanks for the review, really useful.

The biggest issue (and it's not a huge issue) I have with the standard car is the initial body roll when turning in and dive/squat when braking and accelerating (are the standard springs rising-rate because things seem to stiffen up after a certain amount of roll?). By the sound of your review it seems like the initial roll is much more controlled, was the car you fitted them to on standard anti-roll bars? How adjustable is the ride height with this kit - can you go all the way from standard to an inch or more drop?

OP
OP

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes the initial roll is really reduced producing a much sharper turn in feel. I didn't notice any dive or squat but wasn't really looking for it to be fair.

Yes the car was on standard anti-roll bars - the only other mods were Roush axle backs and the Pro Alloy header tank - otherwise mechanically stock.

Ride height will go from too low (too low to get it off the ramp at least) up to above standard I would expect looking at the adjustment left when we set it. There's really much more ride height adjustment than you'll ever need.

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
This looks like a very good deal to me.. Still haven't got round to fitting my Steeda springs.... So maybe I never will...

Sponsored

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
if i had not bought my KW V3 I would bite your hand off. compared to FRPP and KW kits this looks like a bargain combined with complete adjustability.

Also - kudos for not price gouging nice to see stuff coming to market without factoring in a premium because you can

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I like

OP
OP

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
It's a couple of hours work - alignment takes half an hour or so presuming we can get a slot on the ramp at our tame aligners. So allow about three hours or so. We have coffee and tea on tap (and cakes left over from the weekend at the moment)

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
It's a couple of hours work - alignment takes half an hour or so presuming we can get a slot on the ramp at our tame aligners. So allow about three hours or so. We have coffee and tea on tap (and cakes left over from the weekend at the moment)
Ok thanks Dave, leave this with me, do not have a firm date for mine yet and was looking at the logistics of Wiltshire - North London - Essex - Wiltshire in a day :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks Dave, leave this with me, do not have a firm date for mine yet and was looking at the logistics of Wiltshire - North London - Essex - Wiltshire in a day :eyebulge:
Logistics? you drive a Mustang, it's called 'Mini-road trip' ;)

Zwerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Volvo XC60
A couple of years ago I owned a Vauxhall VXR8, which you may know is a re-badged Holden HSV Clubsport R8, one of Australia's finest muscle cars.

As Dave said, Pedders are a big name in that market. I had a set of their adjustable coil-overs fitted to my car, very similar to the ones shown here, and they absolutely transformed the handling of what was a very heavy barge of a car.

I am seriously interested in getting these done, the price is very good indeed.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
They just look great dont they? I may have to run the Steeda's for a while but next year? Maybe wheels and these!

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Yes the initial roll is really reduced producing a much sharper turn in feel. I didn't notice any dive or squat but wasn't really looking for it to be fair.

Yes the car was on standard anti-roll bars - the only other mods were Roush axle backs and the Pro Alloy header tank - otherwise mechanically stock.

Ride height will go from too low (too low to get it off the ramp at least) up to above standard I would expect looking at the adjustment left when we set it. There's really much more ride height adjustment than you'll ever need.
Thanks for the feedback Dave. I'm really tempted by this ..... but (probably foolishly :doh:) I'm still holding out for a Ford UK supplied GT350 or, failing that, personal import. I know used S550 prices are a bit of an unknown at the moment, but basically my feeling is that whatever money I may chuck at my car I'm probably not going to get back if I sell it to fund a 350 - hence the dilemma. Looks bloody good value for money though. The springs on the Pedders are presumably linear? ...... as I said, the standard ones I think must be rising-rate (unless it's the anti-roll bars that start to slow down the initial roll, but I don't think so?). Does anyone actually know for sure, I can't seem to find any technical details (for standard UK springs) online at all :shrug: .

OP
OP

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
Another kit fitted today - the last one from our stock. We have more kits coming from Pedders in a week or two though. Also wearing 25mm spacers.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.