Sponsored

Pros and Cons of Street Drivability off the kit Canned Carb EO Tune options with 91 Octane?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I see many threads of mostly hp/tq and often just recommending custom tunes for all the kits over canned tunes.

But how about strictly just comparing or sharing experiences on which kits work the best when it is just limited to the carb eo tune that is provided without comparing hp, tq, Heat Soak etc.?

Such as desire for smooth shifting, all modes working (Adaptive cruise control, rain-snow mode) , no bucking/surging issues, mpg (not that it is important but can help with how efficient the tune is for driving within the speed limit and not flooring it)

Whipple 1/2 vs Roush 2 vs Procharger 1/2 vs Edelbrock 1/2 vs VMP etc. all under only 91 Octane with no additives.
Sponsored

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I know many will disagree with me on this, but if you’re sticking with the CARB tune
then hands-down the best one is Roush. The supercharger could be better and the intercooler is terrible, but the tune is extremely well sorted and very oem-like in the way it operates..

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I know many will disagree with me on this, but if you’re sticking with the CARB tune
then hands-down the best one is Roush. The supercharger could be better and the intercooler is terrible, but the tune is extremely well sorted and very oem-like in the way it operates..
Even with the set up, I have seen some issues with durability with long-term use of the Roush, since the brick is under the blower and could wear other internal parts over-time aside of the tune?

Some of the consensus I found based on the carb tunes is Edelbrock has issues of no engine braking and some surging etc.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@Mustangpursuit what issues are you referring to? Seems to me that cat failures are most common followed by fuel pumps. But I’d like to point out that even with those two failures the engines still live, which can’t be said about other tunes.

I’m pretty sure Roush designed it to not interfere with anything in the valley.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’ve looked pretty hard at the edelbrock tune and it isn’t great. It is one of the few that use a stock os to build on, which does have an advantage if uou self-tune. The throttle body model is way off and the ipc error range is grossly modified to allow for the bad tb model. They also disabled some protections, which I obviously don’t agree with. The edelbrock tune is also really hard on the cats.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
@Mustangpursuit what issues are you referring to? Seems to me that cat failures are most common followed by fuel pumps. But I’d like to point out that even with those two failures the engines still live, which can’t be said about other tunes.

I’m pretty sure Roush designed it to not interfere with anything in the valley.
saw a complaint about a valley coolant leaks with the roush brick etc.

Wonder about Whipple canned tunes? a Super Snake (whipple carb eo stage 2) had a radiator hose blow out.

only mod I have to exhaust is just a borla touring cat-back. and my car has 3:15 gears with A10

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
As I said, the gen3 Whipple tune isn’t great. Kindof a mess really. Not sure about the 2024 but I suspect it’s more like the Roush since it’s sold through FP and ford had to sign off on the tune.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I currently own both the Roush and Whipple kits and really haven’t had any mechanical issues with either kit. Whipple kit issues seem to be more prevalent though, but it’s capable of more power.

hockeydave55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1, 1969 Fiat 500F, 2023 MachE, 2013 Focus
I run what's in my signature with no issues. Close to 500 miles with the supercharger installed. Procharger tune. Everything works like stock, but more fun.
Sponsored