Sponsored

Pro Action shocks on bad roads

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Hey Steeda,

I run Pro Action dampners and progressive springs on my 17 GTPP. Unfortunately, I live near in the Metro Washington DC area and the roads SUCK. I am running the default recommended configuration, which is how you have them set right from the factory. Would I get a much better ride running full soft on bad roads? I do some spirited driving on the weekends, but it isn't often, and I try to do maybe one to two HPDE a year.

What do you recommend?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the default recommended configuration, which is how you have them set right from the factory.
hey neighbor. if you want to contrast my setup (Dual rate springs + Pro-Action) just say the word.
What ARE your current settings BTW and which bump stops did they use?

With the progressive springs which are somewhat soft, I'd say 1.25 or perhaps more turns out from closed. But I suspect you may be hitting the bump stops. I ran some poor quality roads SW of The Plains this past weekend and I could feel the crashing into bump stops on a number of occasions. But high-frequency bad pavement is definitely not the damper's best environment - you need bigger pistons with bigger orifices (more oil flow) for that.

There's a series of sharp bump on the 495 Outer loop as you approach the Greenway and then south of the Rt 7 interchange (3rd lane from right) that have some nasty heaves and I use that stretch to evaluate suspension action and tuning. There's a section approaching the mixing bowl a bit past Braddock Road (and same on Inner loop) that are also useful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
morgande

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
hey neighbor. if you want to contrast my setup (Dual rate springs + Pro-Action) just say the word.
What ARE your current settings BTW and which bump stops did they use?

With the progressive springs which are somewhat soft, I'd say 1.25 or perhaps more turns out from closed. But I suspect you may be hitting the bump stops. I ran some poor quality roads SW of The Plains this past weekend and I could feel the crashing into bump stops on a number of occasions. But high-frequency bad pavement is definitely not the damper's best environment - you need bigger pistons with bigger orifices (more oil flow) for that.

There's a series of sharp bump on the 495 Outer loop as you approach the Greenway and then south of the Rt 7 interchange (3rd lane from right) that have some nasty heaves and I use that stretch to evaluate suspension action and tuning. There's a section approaching the mixing bowl a bit past Braddock Road (and same on Inner loop) that are also useful for tuning.
hey shogun,

I’m running a bunch of Steeda suspension component beside the shocks springs.

the caster/camber plates, control arms, bumpsteer, and the Steeda first-gen adjustable bump stops

Out back is a stop the hop starter kit, and rear shock mounts

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Steeda,

I run Pro Action dampners and progressive springs on my 17 GTPP. Unfortunately, I live near in the Metro Washington DC area and the roads SUCK. I am running the default recommended configuration, which is how you have them set right from the factory. Would I get a much better ride running full soft on bad roads? I do some spirited driving on the weekends, but it isn't often, and I try to do maybe one to two HPDE a year.

What do you recommend?
Shoot me your email & let me put you in contact with Mike D. - he may have a recommendation.

Have a great night.

TJ
Sponsored