Sponsored

Preventative "Repair" on GT350?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
More importantly, I noticed the blue on the bolt threads. I have always thought that was applied to bolts that shouldn't be allowed to come loose, kind of like Loctite. So, I'm wondering if antisieze would be appropriate? Also, anybody have access to the service manual to see if the bolts are supposed to be replaced anytime they are removed?
That stuff basically is loctite. It's thread locker. Blue color is compound that is breakable with hand tools. Red is super strong and usually requires some heat or extreme torque to break loose. Red thread locker WILL damage aluminum.

Stainless steel and aluminum often (but not always) don't mix because of the risk of galling. Without something in between them like zinc coating or plating like on header bolts, antiseize, or some type of lubrication coating, the metals can chemically fuse together.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Anyone know the torque spec for the front caliper mounting bolts?

Can't say I'm too thrilled with star bolts instead of a hex-head. I expect the slotting will get chewed up after several uses (a typical star bit is going to be harder than the bolt).

Blue thread locker is easily reapplied. Just make sure to have a tube on hand.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
136 ft-lbs, and they are technically a service item, but yeah most likely due to the thread locker and perhaps not due to potential excessive stretch issues

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
136 ft-lbs, and they are technically a service item, but yeah most likely due to the thread locker and perhaps not due to potential excessive stretch issues
136 ft lbs! I see a long-handled wrench being necessary here.

I have to keep right-sizing my expectations to requirements for higher weight and much higher HP applications than I've worked with for the last 10-12 years. Makes me wonder what a wheel bearing locking nut torque value will be . . .?

TexanZSG21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Basically things that should be done to avoid headaches later.

As an example. I DD a Subaru STi. One of the issues people found was that because the Brembo calipers are aluminum, the bolts (steel) would fuse with the caliper. When you try to remove it sometime down the road, the bolts would break or the threads in the caliper comes out with the bolt.

So, folks would basically take the calipers off right after buying the car and add anti-seize or even add helicoil/Time-sert kits as a preventative measure.

Anything that should be taken care of for the GT350?
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than I experienced this first hand with the rear calipers on my STI...broke a bolt off in the caliper on one side, decided to move on to the other side and proceeded to do the same on that side as well. I was not a happy camper that day!
Sponsored