Sponsored

Pressure washers - unnecessary gadget or useful detailing tool?

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
I'm thinking about buying a 1700 PSI pressure washer from Costco for $130. Thoughts on how useful these are for washing cars?
Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
Just don't get really close to the paint

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I'm looking at a cheap one for $100-200 from Lowes, nothing too powerful.

Not a bad investment if you have anything else you need hosed down I suppose..

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Just get Foam gun off Amazon

OP
OP
IndustryLeech

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Just get Foam gun off Amazon
I almost pulled the trigger on a foam gun, but then I realized how nice it would be to pressure wash the house, driveway, porch etc... If they are useful for washing cars as well, I think I'd rather have a multi-tasker.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Nothing you buy under $200 is going to be powerful enough to hurt the paint if you use common sense.

And I've seen videos of foam guns (that hook to garden hoses) and seem to use a ton of soap and not get much foam. Foam canons that hook to pressure washers look like they work great though because of the extra pressure.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I have a North Star 2800 PSI 3 GPM one from Northern Tools, Honda engine. I use it to wash my Toyota truck, trash cans, rubber floor mats, back deck, etc. Haven't washed my Mustang yet.

It's useful to get the car wet and soapy but lacks scrubbing power - you can't spray on soap at high pressure like you can at a coin car wash. So then I use a big auto washing sponge and a bucket with more pressure washer cleaner in it and wash all the dirt off.

Then I use the PW again to rinse the soap off, then dry with a chamois. Then I use a regular towel to get the water out of the door sills, gas cap door, etc.

You can tips of 15, 25, 40 degrees to lessen the power of the spray, just use common sense.

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I almost pulled the trigger on a foam gun, but then I realized how nice it would be to pressure wash the house, driveway, porch etc... If they are useful for washing cars as well, I think I'd rather have a multi-tasker.
A cheap pressure washer isn't even as good for the other items your want because they won't have enough psi. Depending on application of course.

But just for a car nah I don't think it's worth it.

I just got the Gilmour foam gun from Amazon and used it for first time yesterday. Surprised how useful it actually was.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
You hit my thoughts exactly.
I don't use my pressure washer much on the car (but some nonetheless), but other places around the house it's a lifesaver.

Pull the trigger -- You will use it. (a lot) :headbang:

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
You hit my thoughts exactly.
I don't use my pressure washer much on the car (but some nonetheless), but other places around the house it's a lifesaver.

Pull the trigger -- You will use it. (a lot) :headbang:
Another great use is gas grills, cleans the gunk off the porclean grates of my WeberQ and the grease that drips down as well. If you have a PW you'll find more and more uses for it: laundry hampers, cat litter boxes, garbage cans, grills, underneath a push mower, plastic deck chairs, etc.

A good rule of thumb s the minimum you want for home use is 3000 PSI and 2.5 GPM. The power rating is simply multiplying those numbers.

A 3000/2.5 PW is 7500 units, I used to have a Karcher 2200 PSI, 2 gpm or a rating of 4400, about 60% as strong

Sponsored

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
I've found the best use for the pressure washer is not for the paint but more for the wheels,brake calipers and wheel wells where the nasty stuff bakes on.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
They are fine for washing the car, just stand back some to avoid having too much pressure on the car. Every single dealer pretty much washes cars with a pressure washer, plus like others have said, it's a great multi-purpose tool.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i asked a professional auto detailer about this. he details for the local tesla and porsche locations in my area. he's running a gas powered pressure washer out of his van all day, every day washing cars. but for electrics, he told me karcher is junk and not what it used to be when they used to be made in germany (search reviews online).

he's pretty hardcore about what he does, so his idea of a household use only pressure washer is this:

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Cam-Spray-1500A-Pressure-Washer/p1061.html

otherwise, he says your choices should be based on GPM (must flow at least 2.0GPM), not psi. also needs a liquid cooled motor.

after you decide on the pressure washer, you need to get this next, and then you're all set (ie. the foam cannon, not miss alabama, but that's okay):

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
i asked a professional auto detailer about this. he details for the local tesla and porsche locations in my area. he's running a gas powered pressure washer out of his van all day, every day washing cars. but for electrics, he told me karcher is junk and not what it used to be when they used to be made in germany (search reviews online).

he's pretty hardcore about what he does, so his idea of a household use only pressure washer is this:

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Cam-Spray-1500A-Pressure-Washer/p1061.html

otherwise, he says your choices should be based on GPM (must flow at least 2.0GPM), not psi. also needs a liquid cooled motor.

after you decide on the pressure washer, you need to get this next, and then you're all set (ie. the foam cannon, not miss alabama, but that's okay):

$699! Crap, I think I'll get by without one. Hard to imagine getting my money's worth out of that.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
like i said, that was his idea of a household unit. his commerical one with all the stuff to go with it was something like $2k, so you know where he's coming from.

there are many other cheaper models with the 2.0GPM he's talking about. just use the website i linked to and sort through the models based on price, GPM, etc. to get an idea.
Sponsored