Sponsored

Premium Protection Pack

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys,

Just wondering, has any of you been offered by your dealer a "premium protection pack" for your Ford Mustang?

Basically what it seems to be is "Paint, Glass, Alloys, Leather, Carpet, Mats, Vinyl and Plastic protection", applied with "Nano treatments" (?) - nanoOneCare.com.au.

They're throwing a window tint to it as well (not many specifics on this, but again "Nano" branded).

Seems to me like a lot of marketing, a lot of talk and pushing some new product that I haven't heard of... and quite expensive I reckon - all up just under $1700!

I was thinking of going with some trusted, known window tinting and giving all that opticoat a miss anyway - I actually enjoy cleaning my cars on regular basis...

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

ShadowMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Ford Mustang Fastback
I took delivery of my 2016 Mustang on 5 February this year and was not offered any premium protection pack and for that matter, was not aware one existed or was on offer. I did go for the heaviest (legal) tin possible for the car with a local supplier at a cost of $390 and am pleased with the result - the car is much cooler both in appearance and temperature. Like another post, be aware of the high cost involved charged by Ford Australia for OEM genuine accessories which are very costly. One tip though, my local Ford dealer gave me a VIP Card which entitles me to 10% discount on all accessories. Not much but when a space saver wheel costs $1200, it represents $120.

SPRTAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT 6MT
I had my dealer try and push a protection pack on me yesterday. They were pushing a Williams F1 protection pack which uses a ceramic coating for $1795.
Also tried to push window tint on me. I flatly refused both.

Sponsored

Kade744

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kade
Vehicle(s)
Company Car/ BMW S1000RR
There is nothing wrong with the paint protection products that most dealerships offer. They are quite often the best or just as good as any other product on the market.

The problem is what they want to charge you for them in the excitement of buying a new car. The way I see it, if it is something you can see benefit in and want to have done, find comparable product from a 3rd party company and find the best price on it. From them I would be offering the dealership that same money if they want my business. I would probably pay an extra $100-$200 just for the convenience.

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
There is nothing wrong with the paint protection products that most dealerships offer. They are quite often the best or just as good as any other product on the market.

The problem is what they want to charge you for them in the excitement of buying a new car. The way I see it, if it is something you can see benefit in and want to have done, find comparable product from a 3rd party company and find the best price on it. From them I would be offering the dealership that same money if they want my business. I would probably pay an extra $100-$200 just for the convenience.
I agree. I did heaps of research on this myself, looking at cerami coat, opti coat, 5th dimension etc. they all offer similar protection and price really depends on where you are and the competition. Opticoat for what I wanted to get done was actually almost bang on in price with what my dealer offered. However if I got it done in Sydney or Melbourne it would be a third cheaper almost. If you are going through a leasing company talk to them about it. I know my leasing company suggested that they would negotiate a better price on protection for the car because they want me to take it up to protect what is potentially an investment for resale for them

yellowpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shane
Vehicle(s)
2016 manual triple yellow with gt stripes
My dealer offered Permagard and she was saying they use this technology on planes like AIRBUS and BOEING. The whole package is for $2490 and window tints for free. Wht are your thoughts about this Permagard

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
My dealer offered Permagard and she was saying they use this technology on planes like AIRBUS and BOEING. The whole package is for $2490 and window tints for free. Wht are your thoughts about this Permagard
I might be in the minority but if you are planning on this being a car that you keep for a long time and is your future classic then its worth getting. Yes I agree that the dealers are going to bung on a charge or a % to make some money but you cant really blame them for that. The thing i think with a dealer doing it is that it is done predelivery so it comes as part of a ford product. If it goes wrong or is not done correctly or in 6 months there is some sort of issue it becomes a ford warranty issue not a fight between you and a small detailing company.

If it comes with a lifetime warranty as some products do then its a good investment if you can afford it.

yellowpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shane
Vehicle(s)
2016 manual triple yellow with gt stripes
I might be in the minority but if you are planning on this being a car that you keep for a long time and is your future classic then its worth getting. Yes I agree that the dealers are going to bung on a charge or a % to make some money but you cant really blame them for that. The thing i think with a dealer doing it is that it is done predelivery so it comes as part of a ford product. If it goes wrong or is not done correctly or in 6 months there is some sort of issue it becomes a ford warranty issue not a fight between you and a small detailing company.

If it comes with a lifetime warranty as some products do then its a good investment if you can afford it.

Yes Stubai this is going to be my last brand new car mate. IF I sell this one and buy another one, I will be a one lonely old prick:D because my wife will give me divorce. I have spent alot of money already on my toys so yes this one is a keeper.

Sponsored

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
Yes Stubai this is going to be my last brand new car mate. IF I sell this one and buy another one, I will be a one lonely old prick:D because my wife will give me divorce. I have spent alot of money already on my toys so yes this one is a keeper.
Lol do it then. This will be my first ever new car (at almost 40) but I intend this to be my car when I am retired ..... we will grow old and classic together:)

tantash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anne
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang GT V8 convertible
I have been looking into paint protection too for the convertible and have 3 quotes:
Dealer = Gen 3 Glasscoat $1995, and two different car detailing places: Opti Coat $1100, Ceramic Pro at $650. All seem to have the same warranty.
To add extra water proofing/protection to the soft top I've been quoted from $75 to $100.
Don't get me started on the vinyl wrap to front and rear bumpers, door handles etc.

GTSALLY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fi
Vehicle(s)
gt convertible Magnetic ordered and hoping
i may be a sucker, but i went with the dealers $2400 protektiv exterior , interior and full darkest legal tint, under there warranty. living in the back of nowhere i cant shop around i couldnt be arsed wasting my time driving to and from perth when car eventually gets here

tantash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anne
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang GT V8 convertible
i may be a sucker, but i went with the dealers $2400 protektiv exterior , interior and full darkest legal tint, under there warranty. living in the back of nowhere i cant shop around i couldnt be arsed wasting my time driving to and from perth when car eventually gets here
And Stubai made a very valid point too about dealer warranty covering it all. I'm so confused now . . . :shrug:

newmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Clear shield

I picked up my GT last Saturday....drove all sunday! Very happy..... Had a mate recommend the below:

http://www.clear-shield.com.au/contact.html

He has 2 cars with front end done and looks awesome/ good protection.

Get car back tomorrow with shield on front end and doors/rocket panels and application of 'Full Metal Jacket' for anything not covered. Will post pictures and review after I get the car.
Sponsored