Sponsored

Possible trade-up to '22 GT - may I be an idiot?

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
I'm in the same situation. I want to trade my 20 EcoBoost hp/handling package for a 22 gt. If I trade locally I loose over $2000 in the tax difference and if I buy from Granger I have to pay shipping. Does their discounted price still make it all worth it? What do you think?
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Maybe I missed the part where you drove the GT and had test drive experience with it rather than what you think it will be like. If you haven’t obviously do so and since all else seems equal, go with your gut, period. If it’s a tie go with the GT.

BTW you don’t owe that dealer anything; do some homework and let them meet you at the lowest net price. By email, not at their dealership.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
James, I don't know how old you are but when I pulled the trigger on my 19 GT-350 and drove it off the showroom floor it was the best purchase I ever made. EVER !
As far as the economy goes, when it happens. You won't be alone.
We get one time around the block in this life, live it ! I'm 62, no health issues, and just had a stroke. WAKE UP call for me !
You will make the right decision. ENJOY !

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Ecoboost mustang is a great car but once you drive , hear the and feel the GT ,you quickly realize the ecoboost is only half of what the mustang should be. If you can financially do it .go for it .

Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I went to the dealer several years ago and test drove the EB and GT back to back, both autos and before the A10. Comparing these two vehicles I immediately knew that if I purchased the EB I would regret it. I did not want to spend what it would take to buy a Premium GT. My choice was a Premium loaded EB or Zero Option GT. Having previously owned a Base Camaro 1SS with the new introduction I spent a lot of time and money buying parts to make it nicer like the better optioned Camaro 2SS. I put my Mustang purchase on hold and bought neither.

What I am trying to say is that theres absolutely nothing wrong with a HPP but if you heart longs for the GT that feeling will never subside. I guarantee you would not wake up a few weeks later after buying the GT and saying, hey I really miss my EB.

I read and am a member of LOTS of different forums but they all share a lot in common. Some people literally spend thousands on something they probably cant afford and do not need but say f it, I want this or that. Then others probably have a million dollars in the bank and are afraid to spend $100 bucks. I read a lot times about members telling others that if you have to finance a car then you should not buy it, but save for it 1st. Well thats great advice but not realistic for some others. As already said, life is entirely too short. One day you wake up and your baby just turned 27, then you wonder how life passed by so quickly. You hair is disappearing, your mid section has a few extra inches, laying on the garage floor seems to hurt a hell of a lot more than it did just 20 short years ago, and your parents have passed or very close to it. If YOU can afford it then YOU should do what makes YOU happy. I quit caring what others thought about my financial decisions or what car was in my driveway a long time ago. My 5.0 Mustang cost just $14 a year more to insure than the outgoing 1.5L Accord, I was shocked.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Good luck with whatever you do, but I'd rather own half a Mustang (as some have called the E/B hhp) when the bottom fails out of the Economy. Than have one I am underwater on, and in a sinking ship and can't get out.
2008 was a kids party to what is next. YOLO sounds great till the repo man rolls up and snatches it. And after auction you get the bill that you still owe 8-10k for it, and trashed your credit.
If you decide to pull the trigger, I'd do everything you can to get the loan paid down asap.
There will be tons of these gt's on the market as soon as the s650 comes out, might be worth, bailing on your e/b while the coals are hot, get a cheap daily(2500.00 car), and wait out the year/18 months, while saving, then buy the s550 gt you want when the prices drop through the floor as everyone wan't the newer model, and /or are on the wrong side of the economy slide.
Don't forget the Fed, has stated that starting in jan.22 they will start upping the base interest rate, what your bank can get you today, might be different by the time the new gt gets in your hands. A 2% change in loan interest rate can break your plans.
Ford is offering 0.0 now to clear out the stock on the lots, problem is most dealers are over msrp. making the 0.0 for 60 a wash or a moot point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spedy7

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
If that is the case your GT should be one with the Performance Package or you might be disappointed. Remember you have a lot more weight in the nose of the car.
That was my original thought, I also did some looking around with used cars on Vroom/Carvana/etc. and found a few PP1/2's with low miles. As much as I want a PP1/2, I haven't even been to the track yet with my car which is why I haven't really looked further into a PP GT.

Maybe I missed the part where you drove the GT and had test drive experience with it rather than what you think it will be like. If you haven’t obviously do so and since all else seems equal, go with your gut, period. If it’s a tie go with the GT.

BTW you don’t owe that dealer anything; do some homework and let them meet you at the lowest net price. By email, not at their dealership.
I'm only working with them since I...well...work there lol. If my own work can't make a decent deal, then I'll look elsewhere. While I haven't taken one home yet to drive around, I have driven some customer's cars (test drives after repairs). I haven't driven the newer revised ratios though, we did get one new one that I may see about borrowing.

I went to the dealer several years ago and test drove the EB and GT back to back, both autos and before the A10. Comparing these two vehicles I immediately knew that if I purchased the EB I would regret it. I did not want to spend what it would take to buy a Premium GT. My choice was a Premium loaded EB or Zero Option GT. Having previously owned a Base Camaro 1SS with the new introduction I spent a lot of time and money buying parts to make it nicer like the better optioned Camaro 2SS. I put my Mustang purchase on hold and bought neither.

What I am trying to say is that theres absolutely nothing wrong with a HPP but if you heart longs for the GT that feeling will never subside. I guarantee you would not wake up a few weeks later after buying the GT and saying, hey I really miss my EB.

I read and am a member of LOTS of different forums but they all share a lot in common. Some people literally spend thousands on something they probably cant afford and do not need but say f it, I want this or that. Then others probably have a million dollars in the bank and are afraid to spend $100 bucks. I read a lot times about members telling others that if you have to finance a car then you should not buy it, but save for it 1st. Well thats great advice but not realistic for some others. As already said, life is entirely too short. One day you wake up and your baby just turned 27, then you wonder how life passed by so quickly. You hair is disappearing, your mid section has a few extra inches, laying on the garage floor seems to hurt a hell of a lot more than it did just 20 short years ago, and your parents have passed or very close to it. If YOU can afford it then YOU should do what makes YOU happy. I quit caring what others thought about my financial decisions or what car was in my driveway a long time ago. My 5.0 Mustang cost just $14 a year more to insure than the outgoing 1.5L Accord, I was shocked.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts (except I'm nearing 30 in a few years). I'm perfectly fine with what I have, but the heart still wants 5.0L of joy. It also really doesn't help when your roommate also bought a '13 Boss 302 lately...

Good luck with whatever you do, but I'd rather own half a Mustang (as some have called the E/B hhp) when the bottom fails out of the Economy. Than have one I am underwater on, and in a sinking ship and can't get out.
2008 was a kids party to what is next. YOLO sounds great till the repo man rolls up and snatches it. And after auction you get the bill that you still owe 8-10k for it, and trashed your credit.
If you decide to pull the trigger, I'd do everything you can to get the loan paid down asap.
There will be tons of these gt's on the market as soon as the s650 comes out, might be worth, bailing on your e/b while the coals are hot, get a cheap daily(2500.00 car), and wait out the year/18 months, while saving, then buy the s550 gt you want when the prices drop through the floor as everyone wan't the newer model, and /or are on the wrong side of the economy slide.
Don't forget the Fed, has stated that starting in jan.22 they will start upping the base interest rate, what your bank can get you today, might be different by the time the new gt gets in your hands. A 2% change in loan interest rate can break your plans.
Ford is offering 0.0 now to clear out the stock on the lots, problem is most dealers are over msrp. making the 0.0 for 60 a wash or a moot point.
Did not hear about the interest rate being raised. That is a bit concerning. I don't really watch much news these days and don't really know who to trust with the news (ahem, Fox), but that is a good point made. I like my 2.29% and wouln't want to give that up. That does give me some thought to get my project up and running and just resume that as a daily until things come around. Hmm...🤔

Looks like case closed then I guess. Time for some homework and see what is possible. If things don't line up, GT dream will have to wait.

Last edited:

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I read through the thread again and it created some questions I guess those much smarter than I can possibly help with. Just wildly looking at numbers the OP would be increasing a monthly payment by an estimated $145-165 choosing to put the money down. If he put 8k down on a 22 GT and kept it 12 months how would he not be able to get out of it should the Zomie Apocalypse occur? If the OP lost his job he could not afford to pay the $500 a month payment he has now, why does a $650 payment matter? We all know new car prices are inflated 3-5K since people are paying the ADMs for whatever reason. Normally you could buy that $42k GT for around $37-$38k, a difference of 4-5K. If getting 30-31K for the EB hes still on the better side knowing cars are selling at MSRP. Now he said he financed $28k, who knows what the bottom line was. Anyway when the world ends because of Russia and China my car payment will be the last concern I have.

OP
OP
spedy7

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Well, just had a bit of chat with my sales guy. 2021's are off-limit thanks to $2k ADM. Looks like I can get roughly what Granger is offering on build to order cars based off the math I've done (roughly D-plan pricing). A 301a with active exhaust and maybe black pack will put me around $500/mo for 72 which is what I don't want to exceed and can work with - so it looks like ordering a GT is in the books! I wish Ford would finally update their damn website now lol.

Push come to shove and something changes when the car arrives I can walk away, so really no harm or foul for putting an order in.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Was at the dealership where I bought my car new in 2017. Long story short, they'll buy my car for what I paid, put it towards a 2021 MACH 1 then I just pay the difference. That woulda been 30K (70K for the MACH 1). I passed.
Sponsored