Sponsored

Possible clogged cat?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
I have a 2017 gt with a cai and Corsa cat back system. I've noticed recently the car is feeling just off at lower rpm and the exhaust does not sound smooth and normal. I've also noticed when starting the car after short trips it almost starts fine but the flow feels off and weak compared to cold start. I have no CEL and have already cleaned MAF and intake so that is not the issue. Could it be something as a cat that is starting to go bad or clog or simply an exhaust leak ? The exhaust between 1-3k rpm almost sounds fluttery a little. Thanks all.
Sponsored

Benchmade_user

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
When my cats were clogged, the exhaust got really quiet. To the point I thought my valves were closed. I could also smell a strong exhaust smell coming from the front of the car. I was taking it to the shop the next day to get it fixed and blew a piston.... Be careful. I had bbk "high flow cats"

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
You need an IR temp sensor to check the temp before and after the cat. Off the top of my head I forget if it is supposed to be hotter or cooler on a functioning cat, you'll need to google, lots of good info on the net is available. Eric The Car Guy had a good video a few years back on this topic.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You need an IR temp sensor to check the temp before and after the cat. Off the top of my head I forget if it is supposed to be hotter or cooler on a functioning cat, you'll need to google, lots of good info on the net is available. Eric The Car Guy had a good video a few years back on this topic.
aside from an IR temp reader.... at night if you see a catalytic converter glowing blood red under normal operating conditions, it's clogged...

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
Update: finally got it on a lift and a nice crack as shown in picture on exhaust. It appears it is just at the very end of the stock pipes after the cats about 1 inch before the Corsa cat back starts. Any advice on options? The 1 exhaust shop I had it at advised he could weld the crack totally. Never had to repair an exhaust pipe so open to all advice and options. Thanks all

IMG_20220708_143050_01.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update: finally got it on a lift and a nice crack as shown in picture on exhaust. It appears it is just at the very end of the stock pipes after the cats about 1 inch before the Corsa cat back starts. Any advice on options? The 1 exhaust shop I had it at advised he could weld the crack totally. Never had to repair an exhaust pipe so open to all advice and options. Thanks all

IMG_20220708_143050_01.jpg
Well, if it's still the stock pipe with the factory cat, under the Emissions Warranty, they're warrantied 8yr/80k whichever comes first.

Since you modified your exhaust, I'm not sure if a Service Center will allow a replacement under warranty - tricky slope.... you can try and see if it can be warrantied out or not. My opinion is, if the upgrades exhaust is AFTER the factory cat, the Service Center should replace it under warranty because the upgraded exhaust component is after the cat. However, they may turn around and say the crack was caused by messing with the exhaust to install the upgraded components...

Other than trying the warranty route,, the suggestion by the muffler shop would be only other solution than replacing the cat itself.
Sponsored