Sponsored

Popping or Thumping noise in CAI

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
2016 GT, 17k miles. Car has 1 more year warranty.

Installed a BBK CAI last month. No tune required.

Yesterday I noticed a popping sound coming from the engine it was hard to hear but was there. Open the hood and found a very random low volumn popping or almost a thumping sound coming from the CAI.

I’ve checked all the connections, everything seems good. Today I decided to shut the A/C off and sure enough it stopped. A/C back on and it came back. Any ideas on what is going on? Should I reinstall the factory CAI and see if it’s still there?

I tried doing a forum search but nothing came up. Facebook has been of little help as well. Hoping someone here has seen this.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
2016 GT, 17k miles. Car has 1 more year warranty.

Installed a BBK CAI last month. No tune required.

Yesterday I noticed a popping sound coming from the engine it was hard to hear but was there. Open the hood and found a very random low volumn popping or almost a thumping sound coming from the CAI.

I’ve checked all the connections, everything seems good. Today I decided to shut the A/C off and sure enough it stopped. A/C back on and it came back. Any ideas on what is going on? Should I reinstall the factory CAI and see if it’s still there?

I tried doing a forum search but nothing came up. Facebook has been of little help as well. Hoping someone here has seen this.

Thanks,
John
Hi John,
Steven here from facebook! Fancy meeting you here..haha I will let you know tomorrow about popping as it is pouring out here so the stang doesnt come out. The Ford dealer installed my kit

OP
OP
Festivus

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
Well it’s not the A/C, I sat outside with it running switching A/C on and off and it will do it with the A/C off. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to start but it does start. Man I’m frustrated, I don’t want to put the factory CAI back on but it looks like I may have to.

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
I'm not familiar with the BBK CAI, but one possible cause is an issue with the Mass Airflow Sensor. I'd check to make sure all the intake connections are tight, all hoses, etc. are (re)connected & no small ports are left open (all of these so that there are no vacuum leaks). Also check to make sure the wire from the sensor itself is clean (it can get gunked up from over-oiling a K&N-type air filter). Also check silly things like the connections for the MAS.

I just took a quick look at the BBK CAI on AmericanMuscle.com.
It looks like the MAS port is real close to the air filter element, so issues with achieving laminar flow can be exaggerated (as would be over-oiling issues). Double check alignment of the filter and tubing connections. Also, worm gear clamps are notorious for creating pressure points directly under the gear. Make sure the hose doesn't look "bunched" anywhere at the connection points.

Just a few random ideas... Good luck!

Sponsored

JustinLynn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/PP2
Trying putting your hand on the electronic throttle motor, try to feel if the thumping is coming from that. I've seen that issue a few times now.

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Well it’s not the A/C, I sat outside with it running switching A/C on and off and it will do it with the A/C off. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to start but it does start. Man I’m frustrated, I don’t want to put the factory CAI back on but it looks like I may have to.
I tried mine this morning. I only get a single pop after I shut the car off. I did not have the AC on today

OP
OP
Festivus

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
I wanted to close this out in case anyone else runs into this issue. I reinstalled the factory CAI and the popping continued so I took it in for warranty repair. The throttle body was bad and need to be replaced.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Yea, it's the throttle body. Just got mine replaced for the same issue on Friday.

All is good now!

Gtgpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you put the BBK back on? If so how are you liking if after using a few months?
Sponsored