HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm looking for recommendations for a shop to repaint the front bumper cover on a 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang. For some reason, the top surface of the bumper is looking deteriorated. Not sure why, the rest of the car looks like new. I'm going to sell it because I'm ordering a 2016 and want the whole car to look like new. I figure I can take the cover off and leave it with the shop and still drive it. Then when its done, let them reinstall it. I asked a dealer if they would need to blend into the fender sheet metal and they said no need so I believe that but they also want $500. Maybe that's okay but figure an independent shop might do just as well for less particularly since its non-metallic paint and easier to do right.

So if anyone in the Phoenix area knows that needle in a haystack great but cheaper-than-a-dealer shop, please sound off.

Thanks
Sponsored

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
Bump. Also looking for a good paint shop in Phoenix. Need to get my wheels powder coated black.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Bump. Also looking for a good paint shop in Phoenix. Need to get my wheels powder coated black.
I doubt many paint places do their own powder coating so you would be paying a middleman.

I had a lot of low volume powder coating done back in the late 90s and most places then were geared more for volume work for businesses. Those tended to quote a high price for "small" jobs like yours in the hope you'd go away or overpay.

Arizona Powdercoat on East Washington did great work and were the least expensive I found to boot. Definitely a low rent part of town which probably helps their prices. I guess things change over time but check them out.

sstevens7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

Not much help to you here but I'm down here in Tucson and Elegant Iron powder coated mine with two coats of gloss black for $400. They turned out great!

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not much help to you here but I'm down here in Tucson and Elegant Iron powder coated mine with two coats of gloss black for $400. They turned out great!
Noob question but how long does it take and will i need to have a spare set if wheels for a couple days? :shrug:

Sponsored

sstevens7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Noob question but how long does it take and will i need to have a spare set if wheels for a couple days? :shrug:
I was told it could take up to 2 weeks and it was done in about 10 days. My mustang is not my DD so I put it up on jack-stands in the garage and removed the wheels. Brought my wheels to firestone to get tires removed and then took wheels to paint. it is a process.... but worth it.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The place I mentioned pretty much always had the work done the next day but I was flexible on the day I brought them in. The actual powder coating takes very little time. They just spray it on (one coat) in a matter of minutes. Then the item goes in a heated place to melt and fuse. Prep can take the most amount of time. The item has to be clean and bare metal. That takes the most time and varies depending on how its done.

So how long your wheels will be gone depends on how they operate. If they want to have work backed up and waiting at their location so there is no idle time, it could take days or more depending on how much they want waiting to go. In my case, I paid up front and brought them in at start of business they day they were planning to do it. I suppose if they were running ahead of schedule and started other jobs, I might have had to wait until they could fit me back in. Obviously, I was getting special treatment in that they couldn't do that for everyone without risking idle times.

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I will probably try out the Tucson shop

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
So this turned into a powder coating thread but is there a decently priced paint shop that does good work? I'm thinking of picking up a spoiler and want it paint matched magnetic.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Drew Brothers Customs
Chandler, AZ
Sponsored