Sponsored

Periodic Revving when Idling

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
I own an automatic V6, and 2 days ago I noticed something really strange. Whenever I came to a full stop with the engine running (e.g. at a red light), the car would start revving on its own. It would keep revving to about 1.5K RPM every 1 second or so.

It was kinda terrifying, but awesome. Sounded like the car was just growling at me.

After a few lights, I decided to try restarting the car. The problem went away, and I haven't been able to reproduce it since then.

Anyone else have had something like this happen to them?
Sponsored

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
I own an automatic V6, and 2 days ago I noticed something really strange. Whenever I came to a full stop with the engine running (e.g. at a red light), the car would start revving on its own. It would keep revving to about 1.5K RPM every 1 second or so.

It was kinda terrifying, but awesome. Sounded like the car was just growling at me.

After a few lights, I decided to try restarting the car. The problem went away, and I haven't been able to reproduce it since then.

Anyone else have had something like this happen to them?
My 2006 manual does this. Not sure why though haha

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
sounds like spark saver if you ask me, most modern engines have this when they pickup that the RPM's are too low, Map pressure is too high or fuel trim is off. normally when a sensor is on the fritz it cuts the fuel into limp mode which in turn may operate a lower RPM than idle is set to and it will drop too low so the engine compensates. it could be anything from bad fuel to intake air temp over a set threshold. if it doesn't do it again then its all sweet and was just a glitch in the matrix. if it starts doing it more and more frequently then check your DTC's even if its not a MIL a DTC will still be logged and may not throw up a check engine light.
Sponsored