Sponsored

Periodic data logging with Forscan?

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I have the FPP tune on my 16 EB PP for 2 years and about 8k miles now. Since I dont have a dedicated tuning\data log device. Is it a good idea to run Forscan every once in a while and do some data logging to make sure everything is running as expected? Ever so, I dont know exactly what im looking for or what PIDs that should be apart of the periodic data logging capture. Looking for more advice \ knowledge in what data should be captured that would be relevant to see trends\problems in for the future.

Also, as far as data logging with forscan, im guessing its simply selecting the proper necessary PIDs and just running\reading them in Table\Graph mode and saving it so it can be re-played later?
Sponsored

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I have the FPP tune on my 16 EB PP for 2 years and about 8k miles now. Since I dont have a dedicated tuning\data log device. Is it a good idea to run Forscan every once in a while and do some data logging to make sure everything is running as expected? Ever so, I dont know exactly what im looking for or what PIDs that should be apart of the periodic data logging capture. Looking for more advice \ knowledge in what data should be captured that would be relevant to see trends\problems in for the future.
Sure, I think it's a pretty good idea. I'm not tuned and I will datalog with Forscan occasionally just because I like looking at the data and learning about the car. Many people would recommend that you have a COBB Accessport or SCT device as they're the best in terms of live updating, recording, and playback. They're also useful for sending datalogs in to a tuner for diagnostics/etc. Forscan (at least the paid mobile version for Android) in my experience does a pretty good job of recording and playing back information, but suffers when it comes to instantaneously updating information on your screen.

It's pretty difficult to be able to see your data live when you're actually trying to log it. There's a bit of lag when it's displaying live info (it seems to update every second or two), and unless you have a tablet, the parameters are pretty hard to make out on a small screen, especially while you are driving and need to pay attention to the road. I have found that when you try to play back the data you have just logged after the fact, Forscan records the data with a pretty high level of granularity (recording PID values several times per second). I'm not sure if these are the actual recorded values that it somehow can't display live, or if it's just recording PIDS every 1-2 seconds and just filling in / interpolating the datapoints to make it look more granular. I think it's showing you the actual data, but someone with more knowledge might be able to chime in.

As far as what to log, I suppose it depends on what you're trying to monitor. I put together a list of some info in a spreadsheet with some of the PIDs I've looked at in the past. See the spreadsheet that I attached. I also inserted some info from the workshop manual for the Ecoboost Mustang that might be useful. I included the reference values for these PIDs as well as some other interesting bits I found.

I'm not a tuner, technician, or engineer, so someone with more experience/background than myself may add some information or suggestions to the list.

Also, as far as data logging with forscan, im guessing its simply selecting the proper necessary PIDs and just running\reading them in Table\Graph mode and saving it so it can be re-played later?
Yes, that's right. Once the connection to the vehicle is established, Forscan creates a vehicle profile. This information is saved in the cache and allows you to connect to the vehicle again quickly as long as you don't clear the cache. You basically add the PIDs in graph, table, or dashboard mode once your vehicle is connected, and they are saved with the vehicle profile. You start the datastream in one of these modes, and stop whenever you like. Once you have stopped, you have the option to save the datalog in either .fsl format or .csv format. The .fsl format is proprietary to Forscan and can be used to play back the information within the app, and the .csv format is what I would recommend if you are exporting to another device.

Forscan is also pretty useful in that you can perform certain service functions such as performing a battery monitor reset when you change the battery, entering tire pressure sensor learning mode (so you don't need the little fob tool), clearing KAM values, etc. This can be done in both the mobile app as well as the desktop version. You can also perform certain diagnostic tests and see the raw output values. I'm sure there are probably things that only the dealer can do in terms of OBD diagnostics, but it's useful nonetheless.

Attachments