Sponsored

Passenger tail/brake light intermittent, wrench light with airbag light on same day

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I searched about these and found a little info but looking for others experiences, especially what the fixes were.

I had no known issues before yesterday, mods in my sig. Nothing new has been installed within the last few weeks.

I started the car around noon to drive an hour to the nearest e85 station. Before I left the neighborhood my buddy who was following me flagged me down to tell me my passenger side brake light wasn't working. I pulled over and figured maybe my diode dynamics sequential tail light doohickey was malfunctioning. I removed it and the brake light was working but the inner most bulb was out of the three. After this my friend said that my brake light was working but my tail lights were still not working on the pass side. I keyed the car off and back on again and both my tail lights and brake lights were now all working fine. I hooked my DD sequentials back up and everything was working fine so far. Weird.

About half way to our destination we were following someone going 5-10 under the speed limit for some time and we had to merge onto a highway. The guy stopped instead of yielding onto the highway which prompted me to want to get around him as soon as we merged onto the highway. I put the hammer down when I hit second gear to get around him and as I shifted into 3rd, still hard on the throttle the wrench light lit up with the airbag light coming on a moment after. This of course was followed by the obvious limp mode where the car has little to no acceleration. I found a place to pull over, popped the hood and checked connections of hoses, maf, tb, etc. I found nothing amiss and when I started it back up the light was out and the car drove fine normally. We reached our destination, I filled up and filled 3 gas cans, looked the car over again and ran my x4 to see if there were any stored codes. No codes present. On the way back I had the light come on 3 more times when accelerating hard from 2nd through 3rd. Each time I had to turn the car off and back on to get the light off and limp mode gone. I also tried to check for codes when the light was lit and still it had no codes present!

Once we got back I researched the issue a little and found a few people talking about throttle body issues but one person mentioned the same problem with a pedalmax. I immediately went out and removed my pedalmax from the car and took it for a drive. I hammered it at least 5 times to the redline from 2nd through 3rd with no wrench light so far.

I did however have an inconsistent idle which at times dipped down low enough to almost stall. I pulled over and figured maybe it needed an idle relearn. I unhooked the battery for a minute and then started it back up. Still had an intermittently dipping idle. Got back home and looked her over again in my driveway and found the air filter housing of my PMAS intake falling off! I temporarily pressed it back on for some idle testing and sure enough the problem was gone. I know it was before the maf but I guess without the filter straightening out the air flow, it can cause issues.

I will do some more testing today to see if any of my issues return. I would appreciate any real world experience with these issues. Some educated speculation is also welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tested again today, no problem with the wrench light or idle with the PMAS fixed and the pedalmax removed. Passenger brake light worked when first started but on the ride back the blinker started fast flashing and sure enough the brake light was not working again. Tail lights worked fine just no light up when the brake was depressed (or turn signal/hazard). Unhooked the DD sequencer and the inner most light was the only one not functioning. Took out the tail light assembly and of course there are no bulbs to replace. You have to get the whole tail light assembly. I guess its LED. Wonderful, now I have to see about a warranty replacement and will have to retint a new one. Looked at how much a new one would cost if I had to buy it and holy sh!t! That thing is at least $700! They better not screw me on my warranty because of the tint. I took both DD sequencers off to eliminate that as a reason. Maybe I'll see if I can get the tint off first. I'm not sure how well it comes off though. See what happens with a heat gun.

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went back out to test the brake light again. The inner light was still not working until I restarted the car. Then the lights worked normally again. I believe the DD sequencers are causing the issue. I am going to leave them out and see how it goes. Not looking forward to a warranty trip to the dealer. I don't want any of those monkeys driving my car or messing with it at all really. Fingers crossed! That would make 2 aftermarket electronic components that didn't last more then a year and 3-4k miles! What is the deal with this stuff?
Sponsored