Sponsored

Painted Engine Covers

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anybody here doing this?

I want to do the cover on my Ecoboost next and am looking for tips on masking out the letters so they can be painted a different color.

I'm also looking for inspiration so post any pics if you got em!

S.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
after you paint the covers. then put on clear at the letters... then spray the letters and take model airbrush thinner and wipe away excess over spray off that clear immediately.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
There are a few vids on YouTube that show the process, but the previous post covers it. Paint base color, spray on clear. Mask off everything, expose letters a couple at a time and spray. Wipe off overspray with airbrush thinner. I am going to do it this weekend and will document my steps. I MAY try brushing the letters rather than the spray/wipe, if I can find a brush the exact width of the lettering.

Sponsored

6g Smoke Show

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Love the look of this color! I'm going to look into a Race Red cover.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I love the look, and will most likely be doing this at some point in Oxford white.

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah looks great! I'm collecting supplies now to get that project done this month

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
For those that have painted their coil covers/engine cover, what type of paint are you using and how does it hold out with the heat of the engine bay?

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I used spray bomb engine paint. Did lots of prep with smoothing out the pebble grain finish. Sanded off as much as I could, the built up lots of sandable primer from a can. Then sanded smooth. Took about 4-6 rinse and repeats to get it smooth.
Since the letters were recesses, I simply used an eye dropper to drip in black model paint to fill it in.

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'm interested in doing a engine cover for my V6, thinking about an "Ironman" theme- red and gold or perhaps silver. Thinking of using the 2014 cover as a starting point. What kind of paint could be used?

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Nice job ScottsGT!

I purchased 4 sets of engine and valve covers from eBay sales. I got them dirt cheap. It you are patient you can get the for $15 to $20 for each set.

For paint, I bought Dupli-Color engine paint. I am going with red lettering and line, dark gray for valve covers and most of the engine cover. Black for the center of the engine cover. I also have primer and prep materials from Dupli-Color. Take a look on their web site for colors and heat. Nice selection. Their paints have never failed for me.

Great tip on the eye dropper technique. For the lettering, most people say to finish the valve covers with the main color, then cover it up except for a couple letters at a time, sprat lightly and then wipe the mail part of the valve cover immediately with a rag with a light coating of rubbing alcohol, I think.

I just need to get going and get to it. I bought 4 sets so I could keep the originals, original. With 4 seconds s, one has to turn out? The others, I will sell on eBay to maybe cover the cost of the job? Hopefully. If I get more than the cost of job, I will use that to get something else for the car.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I masked mine off and delivered them to the Hydro Dippers for the painting and finishing.
masked.jpg
done.jpg
Full.jpg

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
These all look great! Keep 'em coming.

S.

Phantom24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT PP
I chose to use the ford factory paint and just cleared over it.

Sponsored