Sponsored

Paint or powder coat 2017 base GT calipers

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Hi Guys,

I would like to have grabber blue calipers on my 2017 Mustang GT base model. Should I paint them with caliper paint or should I powder coat them? I guess if I powder coat them, I have to take them completly off and change the brake fluid afterwards?

Any guides how to paint the calipers?
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
powder coating is always the better and more durable method, that being said, I painted mine with VHT caliper paint, it's really easy, just time consuming. prep and patience is key

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
powder coating is always the better and more durable method, that being said, I painted mine with VHT caliper paint, it's really easy, just time consuming. prep and patience is key
My car is pretty new and the calipers are still pretty clean, can I directly paint over the grey OEM paint or do I have to sand everything down?

I would clean the brake before with a brush and brake cleaner...

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I believe that silver/gray color is the bare metal. I don't think the non-PP cars have any paint on the calipers. Maybe some kind of clear coat protectant, but not paint. I could be wrong, though.

If you have calipers powder coated you need to disassemble them. Remove the seals, pistons, etc. and then tape off what you don't want the powder coat to get on/in. That's what is sorta holding me back from getting my rears done vs. painting them. Don't know how comfortable I feel taking calipers apart. Bolting on replacement parts is one thing and taking apart your brake calipers and rebuilding them is another. To me, anyway.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I bought some G2 caliper paint and am just going to paint mine while still on the car. I'll quickly hit them with a wire brush, spray with some cleaner, and just paint on a few coats. There's really no need to remove them.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
[MENTION=25684]2015Etrac[/MENTION]: Why the wire brush? To get any dirt off, or something else like clear coat?

Though I'd love to PC mine, it's a lot of trouble and expense and the car is down while I wait x-days to get them back. I'm probably going to paint my rears then put some clear coat/poly over them...unless the instructions specifically say not to. If the paint doesn't last, then I'll PC them.

Dkar26

MaxPower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium
Powder coating is definitely the professional looking-est way to mod the calipers

My vote is professional powder coating: we spend a $hitload of money on mods...why cheap out on the calipers by painting them? It was one of my more expensive mods, but my wife's second favorite (after the stripes).
309CB383-D5EB-4126-8F08-EDF2AF8123C7.jpg
IMG_1265.JPG
64036772-B4DB-4E98-9B98-3E0CC6E68BDE.jpg
IMG_1264.JPG

Amacron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What was price to get them powder coated?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
[MENTION=25684]2015Etrac[/MENTION]: Why the wire brush? To get any dirt off, or something else like clear coat?

Though I'd love to PC mine, it's a lot of trouble and expense and the car is down while I wait x-days to get them back. I'm probably going to paint my rears then put some clear coat/poly over them...unless the instructions specifically say not to. If the paint doesn't last, then I'll PC them.
Yeah, just to knock off and stuck on dirt, brake dust, and debris. I don't believe they are coated in anything so you don't need to sand or strip them. I'd recommend G2 caliper paint, a few of my friends have used it and they turned out great. I have a can of black paint for my calipers that I haven't gotten around to putting on yet. Looking back I probably should have done Ford blue or red since I have a black car, but the black should still look pretty good with my chrome factory foundry wheels.

Dkar26

MaxPower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium
What was price to get them powder coated?
$225 for the mechanic to take them apart and put them back together, and around $400 for the calipers...the color I used is metallic-y with a layer of clear coat over it...so that cost more than your basic color. Normal cost for 4 calipers would've been $200. I PC'ed the rotors, too for an extra $140.

Totally worth

more pics here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79134

Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I powdercoated my 6 piston Brembos and they looked great, but a long day of hot road coursing pretty much destroyed them. I plan to paint them next Winter when I store the car.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I powdercoated my 6 piston Brembos and they looked great, but a long day of hot road coursing pretty much destroyed them. I plan to paint them next Winter when I store the car.
I had the same issue on my other car, so i left these the stock color.

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
I will just paint them. Don't want to spend too much money. I will do enough coats until it looks decent.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I was under the impression that powercoating is "permanent" save for attacking it with a wire brush in a cordless drill. If it came off after the brakes got really hot, I'd say the powdercoating was improperly done. Just doesn't sound right.

I'm going to go with a G2 kit for $43. Basic black, nothing fancy. I like the fact that you mix a hardening agent into the paint and that they advise you wait 24 hours before driving the car.

When I read the FAQ on the G2 caliper kits, there were a few references to "leftover paint" turning into "a hockey puck" if left sitting/overnight. It's reassuring to me that the mixed paint left in a cup would harden like that overnight. That's exactly the finish you want.

In my case I'm not going for neon green or pink and it has to be super-shiny and showy. I just want a flat black color that won't fade or flake off. If that's what I get I'll be happy.

If I don't get that, then I wasted $43 and I'll get them powdercoated.

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
That's what I will do. Does anybody know where to get brembo stickers?
Sponsored