Oil changing and storage when tracking the Mustang

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
For anyone who drives their Mustang on the track and on the road a bit do you swap your oil from the 5W-30 back to 5W-20 after track times? I'm expecting to do some road trips in the GT during the "driving" season and thinking I'll just swap my street oil back (with new filter). Looking for ideas on storing the oil and is it worth investing in a oil siphon/pump?

thanks
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
5W-30 is totally suitable for street and recommended by Ford for 2021 coyotes. I don't see any reason to jump back to 5W-20

Sorry, are you planning to re-use used oil back and forth?

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
5W-30 is totally suitable for street and recommended by Ford for 2021 coyotes. I don't see any reason to jump back to 5W-20

Sorry, are you planning to re-use used oil back and forth?
Maybe in that I have brand new 5W-20 synth in it now. Can make it last for a bit vs. track oil. Now seeing they are recommending 5W-30 for 2021 maybe make it the primary oil any way. As for the used oil thing, I have 2 friends that are mechanics who have said you let oil thats around 5000 miles sit for some months the crud goes to the bottom and you could use that oil no problem minus the last 1/4" inch. (that's standard driving, disclaimer)

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Maybe in that I have brand new 5W-20 synth in it now. Can make it last for a bit vs. track oil. Now seeing they are recommending 5W-30 for 2021 maybe make it the primary oil any way. As for the used oil thing, I have 2 friends that are mechanics who have said you let oil thats around 5000 miles sit for some months the crud goes to the bottom and you could use that oil no problem minus the last 1/4" inch. (that's standard driving, disclaimer)
I have heard mechanics say and do all sorts of crazy stuff :giggle: to be honest, it's one of the worst ways to try to save $50 in my opinion.
Technically, you can let pee sit for some time and then drink it when crud settles down, but why would you do that :crazy:. Some things are not meant to be re-cycled.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am in the same situation. 5w30 in now, but 0% life left.
Thinking I put in fresh 5w20 or 5w30 since I am still driving it in Indiana winter.

If my first track day comes with half the life left, then I may reuse the winter oil and put in 5w40.

It would be great to be on a summer-oil / winter-oil cycle, but it has not worked out that way so far.

masterblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2001 Bullitt
Wear metals will be increased after track use and you generally want to change it out after an event. You can use 5w-30 year round without worry, 5w-20 is only in there to keep CAFE bean counters happy. Just use a stout synthetic if you plan to track it.
Sponsored