Sponsored

Why is everyone buying the replica GT500 rear diffusers instead of OEM?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
who's everyone? but here:

1. Because it's cheaper.
2. Because it's their money.
3. Because they want to.
4. Because they don't care for "oem"

those are probably 99% of the answers you are looking for... case closed.
All good points and of course you can put a giant aluminum spoiler for all I care on your car. In the end you have to drive it. So whatever makes you happy. But the reality is it’s a replica part. To me it’s the same reason that’s similar to why we don’t let body shops usually replace our front bumper with a non OEM bumper. The part just isn’t going to fit the same no matter how “perfect” some one thinks it does or actually look the same close up ( color shade, small details, small gaps between the bumper and diffuser) or function the same when it comes to real world use and aero properties if there’s ever a time where you actually are using the car as designed. BTW the part itself isn’t that much more. That price is for the close out panel with the part and the brackets to secure the panel. I included the link so now people can buy the real one if they want. There’s not one link to the real diffuser on this forum. And I think it has less to do with the price and more to do with people not knowing where to get it. It took me a while to find the OEM diffuser for sale.

Last edited:

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
and? lol.... who's gonna care if my V6 mustang has an aftermarket diffuser and a gt350 front bumper? lol

oh dude, sorry, your diffuser is not oem, you are not allowed to sit with us *big muscle flex and pose*

calm down regina george... lmao

I have friend with a mechanic shop/dealership in south florida, he used to buy a lot of damaged base/normal grand cherokees and durangos and fix those using SRT parts instead of the normal/regular bumper, hood, etc... made them look like srt models, and people loved that. SRT look, at base model price and he said the difference in price parts is not too big.

If a regular base model grand cherokee, similar year/miles was 18K, he was selling his for 20k, and people paid no problem because they liked the look.

even dodge is doing that same shit from factory with the charger GT.... all the looks, on a base sxt...

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and? lol.... who's gonna care if my V6 mustang has an aftermarket diffuser and a gt350 front bumper? lol

oh dude, sorry, your diffuser is not oem, you are not allowed to sit with us *big muscle flex and pose*

calm down regina george... lmao

I have friend with a mechanic shop/dealership in south florida, he used to buy a lot of damaged base/normal grand cherokees and durangos and fix those using SRT parts instead of the normal/regular bumper, hood, etc... made them look like srt models, and people loved that. SRT look, at base model price and he said the difference in price parts is not too big.

If a regular base model grand cherokee, similar year/miles was 18K, he was selling his for 20k, and people paid no problem because they liked the look.

even dodge is doing that same shit from factory with the charger GT.... all the looks, on a base sxt...
So what you’re saying is your friend used OEM SRT parts for the base cars and people liked them. What’s the difference from what I’m saying? Your friend didn’t use replica parts. Trust me I’m sure that would’ve changed peoples opinions on those cars if he had to disclose the parts were cheaper replica parts and not Dodge/SRT parts. My statement isn’t about how much power a car that uses the parts has. So I’m not sure why it was relevant to bring up V6 models. It’s about wondering why people are using replica parts instead of OEM Ford parts. Listen this wasn’t meant to be a debate. The link is there for anyone who wants it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he did... he used replica wheels, hoods, etc... he was using aftermarket stuff to make them look like an srt.

i'm not debating the point, i just find it irrelevant... some people prefer oem, some people don't care, etc etc.

fun fact: my wife used to work for a big filter manufacturing company for heavy machinery, CAT use their filters as OEM (with CAT logo, CAT box, etc etc) and they also sell, the exact same filter, but proprietary logo and box as an aftermarket replace. It is the same exact filter.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
But the reality is it’s a replica part. To me it’s the same reason that’s similar to why we don’t let body shops usually replace our front bumper with a non OEM bumper.

If insurance is paying, I'm wanting OEM because it's the "best" and more expensive. If I'm paying, I want the one that looks the best for the least cost. A lot of the time, the replica serves that purpose at a decent discount, so why not? @vanquishvzla summed it up pretty well with the initial response though. These people know they didn't buy a $80k GT500 and they don't need the function of a more expensive OEM diffuser on the road either.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he did... he used replica wheels, hoods, etc... he was using aftermarket stuff to make them look like an srt.

i'm not debating the point, i just find it irrelevant... some people prefer oem, some people don't care, etc etc.

fun fact: my wife used to work for a big filter manufacturing company for heavy machinery, CAT use their filters as OEM (with CAT logo, CAT box, etc etc) and they also sell, the exact same filter, but proprietary logo and box as an aftermarket replace. It is the same exact filter.
I get it but anyone whose done any sort of work on any car knows in the end usually. Not always but 99.9% of the time the non oem part is nowhere near the same quality. When it comes to the example you’re making about “proprietary parts” everything ford performance sells is rebranded parts. But they pass a certain quality control to be granted the ford performance label. But none of those parts are Ford parts so I get it. Great example is the half shafts which are made by G force and not ford. They’re just painted blue and have a label slapped on them but it’s not apples to apples. It’s similar I get it but not the same.

sorry you said he would “...fix those using SRT parts instead of the normal/regular bumper, hood, etc...”. I mean maybe I misunderstood. You never said replica in the statement. If you meant replica then I understand what you’re saying.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If insurance is paying, I'm wanting OEM because it's the "best" and more expensive. If I'm paying, I want the one that looks the best for the least cost. A lot of the time, the replica serves that purpose at a decent discount, so why not? @vanquishvzla summed it up pretty well with the initial response though. These people know they didn't buy a $80k GT500 and they don't need the function of a more expensive OEM diffuser on the road either.
For that matter then based on that point people should never buy parts from an $80k car even if they are replica. But I get it. I guess I’m just different. To me a few extra dollars is worth piece of mind when it comes to quality. It’s a car that costs more than 40-56k depending on the equipment/trim and model if you got a GT so I don’t see it as let me put whatever part is cheapest on the car. Just my opinion though. And to me when they start making 5in tips for Corsa exhausts which they will I want the best quality plastic considering not knowing they won’t melt the replica versions.

Last edited:

Elvis67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19gt ..19 ss 72 chevelle
For that matter then based on that point people should never buy parts from an $80k car even if they are replica. But I get it. I guess I’m just different. To me a few extra dollars is worth piece of mind when it comes to quality. It’s a car that costs more than 40-51k depending on the equipment/trim and model if you got a GT so I don’t see it as let me put whatever part is cheapest on the car. Just my opinion though. And to me when they start making 5in tips for Corsa exhausts which they will I want the best quality plastic knowing they won’t melt the replica versions.
Unfortunately even the factory OEM Ford parts don't fix perfectly as well ..example the OEM 2018 front bumper cover under the right headlight is horrible fit and finish . I have used and seen better fitment with aftermarket. Even the 2015 to 17 OEM front cover is junk with fender clips.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
For that matter then based on that point people should never buy parts from an $80k car even if they are replica. But I get it. I guess I’m just different. To me a few extra dollars is worth piece of mind when it comes to quality. It’s a car that costs more than 40-51k depending on the equipment/trim and model if you got a GT so I don’t see it as let me put whatever part is cheapest on the car. Just my opinion though. And to me when they start making 5in tips for Corsa exhausts which they will I want the best quality plastic knowing they won’t melt the replica versions.
It's usually not cheapest vs most expensive, but relative bang to the buck. If it serves the function I need for 80% of the cost, why pay 100% of the cost for the "real" thing? For me and my computer parts, I'll pay that premium for the brand I know and trust, but for car parts where the warranty is nonexistent or at most a year, I'll take the discount.

On my car right now, either the header gasket or the shorty header itself is leaking. I got the headers for $80 compared to $500 for BBK so I bought another replacement set of the $80 ones to last me another 3 years hopefully. Now if I need another replacement after this, I'm probably past the cost + install of going with BBK originally, but there's also a chance the BBK would have failed as well so I'd still be paying extra.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
…But the reality is it’s a replica part. To me it’s the same reason that’s similar to why we don’t let body shops usually replace our front bumper with a non OEM bumper. The part just isn’t going to fit the same no matter how “perfect” some one thinks it does or actually look the same close up ( color shade, small details, small gaps between the bumper and diffuser) or function the same when it comes to real world use and aero properties if there’s ever a time where you actually are using the car as designed....
The kind of aftermarket replacement part you describe is usually of inferior quality because the only reason it exists is the lower cost vs. OEM. Your link is to a "custom kit," (not actual OEM replacement for a real GT500 ,which presumably would not fit). I doubt one can assume it's better than any and all aftermarket versions.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The kind of aftermarket replacement part you describe is usually of inferior quality because the only reason it exists is the lower cost vs. OEM. Your link is to a "custom kit," (not actual OEM replacement for a real GT500 ,which presumably would not fit). I doubt one can assume it's better than any and all aftermarket versions.
Read the link better. The title of the part is “Genuine GT500 diffuser and close out panel”. The parts are all gt500 parts made as a “custom kit” by Levittown Ford which is a dealership near me with an extensive service and parts dept to ensure fitment on a regular mustang. They are all OEM parts with OEM part numbers as they are listed because that’s what dealerships service depts sell. So yes the diffuser and close out panel will fit a gt500 because it’s a gt500 part. And yea the quality should be better than any replica because it’s an OEM part made by Ford. I’ll post the pic of the Ford stamp and box when I receive if you would like

Last edited:

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we go back to the point of "why would i pay top dollar for that gt500 diffuser to install it on my V6 base mustang???" regardless of the power, if you just want the looks, you already have a cheap mustang, to me, it makes no sense to go for the oem expensive cosmetic part.

Now, if you have a gt500, yeah, different story... you want what it came with your car from factory.

and not everything oem is better than aftermarket. if that was the case nobody will exchange wheels, tires, exhaust, seats, suspension parts, etc etc etc

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
With OEM, you know it will fit correctly and look good too. Aftermarket replicas seem to be a gamble. Check out the GT500 replica hood and bumper threads.
Sponsored