Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Ian_Leith05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
It's probably been said on here, but under Motor Trend's "11 Significant Changes to the Refreshed 2018 Ford Mustang" photo gallery, the show car is a white '18 with black accents around the vehicle. Is it safe to assume that that is what the Black Accent Package will be for the 18's?
Sponsored

Define Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I was messing around editing a pic the day it was revealed and did the same thing you did here. One of the vinyl companies needs to make a matte black vinyl insert for that area ASAP.
Yeah, and if not, I think it would be very easy for a vinyl shop to slap a custom piece on those areas.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
The people saying they took a lot of styling from the GT350 and used it on the 2018, what are y'all smoking??

This is possibly the least flattering angle for the new front. The glossy black grill just doesn't fit. It's too big and it's not inset far enough into the car. I'm sure it'll look better irl but do think lower and top grill both need to be matte black plastic like before. It's weird that it's the only glossy black part of the whole front.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Lightning Blue...not Kona

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Lookin damn fine in that lightning blue. I almost puked once i saw this originally but now it has grown on me and IMHO is way more aggressive than the 15-17

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I wonder if the integrated LED turn signal and fog lights is backwards compatable.

Would be interested in freeing up that space for brake ducts.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
This is possibly the least flattering angle for the new front. The glossy black grill just doesn't fit. It's too big and it's not inset far enough into the car. I'm sure it'll look better irl but do think lower and top grill both need to be matte black plastic like before. It's weird that it's the only glossy black part of the whole front.
I think they did it to match the rear end where there's a gloss black trim panel between the tail lights and matte black plastic at the bottom around the exhaust tips.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I think they did it to match the rear end where there's a gloss black trim panel between the tail lights and matte black plastic at the bottom around the exhaust tips.
On some images, the front grille is matte (like the Lightning blue image above). I have a feeling the gloss black grille is only for the black accent package.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I think the LB car is an ecoboost.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Best article I've read yet.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-are-people-losing-their-marbles-over-the-2018-mustang/

Why Are People Losing Their Marbles Over The 2018 Ford Mustang?

CTzens, I come to you today not as a veteran American auto journalist or former Ford Racing staffer. Nor do I hash this keyboard because Iā€™m a Mustang fan and owner thrice over.

Iā€™m here today because, as an objective auto enthusiast with Blue Oval roots and a keen eye to Mustangs, I really donā€™t understand the sizable chunk of petrolheads who are up-in-arms over the mildly facelifted and otherwise tweaked 2018 Mustang. Per my background, Iā€™m in the key demographic thatā€™s supposed to be either insanely critical of every Mustang bit thatā€™s not true to the original, or gushing absurd fanboy praise while swigging Budweiser and farting the national anthem.

There seems to be quite a bit of hype over this new Mustang, but from my vantage point in the geographical center of ā€˜Murica, itā€™s all basically a non-issue. Yes, there are those who desperately want to live like itā€™s still the 1960s. There are those who cry foul over the Mustangā€™s ever-increasing price tag, blaming technology for ruining its bang-for-buck performance reputation. And there are those who think a few minor styling cues suddenly make the Mustang look like a poster child for clinical depression.

I canā€™t speak for those outside the realm of Mustang influence, but as a ā€˜Stang owner whoā€™s attended far too many Ford car shows and never once crashed into anything, hereā€™s my take on the new car.

Meet the new boss . . . same as the old boss.

Iā€™m really surprised at the amount of people railing against the styling updates. Had photos of this car been released without any mention of it being a revised model, most people wouldnā€™t have even noticed without a close look, or assumed it was wearing some aftermarket front clip. Styling is subjective, so everyone is welcome to an opinion. But I call shenanigans on those who liked the previous car but think Ford ruined this new one, because they look virtually the same despite the changes. For me, there arenā€™t enough differences between the two styles to even have an opinion on which is better.

No V6? No problem.

I was not surprised to hear that Ford dumped the V6 in favor of the superior turbo four in the base model, but I am surprised to hear people lamenting its passing. Forget the whole no replacement for displacement nonsense - you can still get a thumping big American V8 if you want. This is the base model Mustang, and folks, there have always been base model Mustangs with either four or six cylinder engines. Theyā€™re the bread and butter for the entire Mustang line, only now they have some legitimate performance cred of their own. The 2.3-litre turbo offers good power, it handles better, and itā€™s easier to upgrade. Thereā€™s never been a better time to own a base model Mustang.

Adding tech is not a bad thingā€¦

This one really gets under my skin, because the Mustang has been lauded by people for decades as a low-tech dud that couldnā€™t possibly be a fun-to-drive performance car. And now that itā€™s evolved to become a proper, modern sports car, people are going to complain? I believe the word Iā€™m looking for here is hypocrite, but I do understand a bit of the argument. Added tech like a digital dash, lane assist, distance alert, and MagneRide suspension equals added cost, but itā€™s not like the top-level Mustangs have always been cheap. Go easy on the options list and V8 Mustangs are still affordable to most buyers, never mind the EcoBoost models. You canā€™t trash the Mustang for being old-school then trash it because itā€™s not old-school.

ā€¦Except when itā€™s a 10-speed automatic transmission.

I went on a tirade some time ago about the ridiculousness of auto gearboxes with a bazillion speeds. Theyā€™re heavy, complicated, and any real-world advantage they might offer in performance or fuel economy can be offset by something as simple as a mild temperature change or how much you ate for lunch. Itā€™s just a numbers game - a bragging point for Ford that unfortunately adds both cost and weight to a car that needs neither. Fortunately you can still get a proper six-speed manual. Thatā€™s the only box you want with a new Mustang.

It's a different experience when you actually see it in person.

Let me wrap this piece up with a personal observation from a few years ago. I was at the official launch of the redesigned 2015 Mustang in Dearborn, Michigan; it was an automotive event hyped to the max and everyone had an opinion heading into it, but hereā€™s the thing: The people at the event - from journalists to enthusiasts - had overwhelming praise for the car.

Meanwhile, the people back home looking at photos jumped onto forums and social media to express heaps of grief. They didnā€™t like the looks, didnā€™t like the options, didnā€™t like the independent suspension, and so forth. It was too heavy, too ugly, and without a solid axle in the back somehow it ceased to be a Mustang. That negativity faded fast once people actually saw it and drove it, and I suspect the same thing will happen here.

Unless youā€™re a Mustang hater, which is completely fine. Just come up with a legit reason to hate it, because honestly, itā€™s pretty much the same car it was a week ago.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Theyā€™re heavy, complicated, and any real-world advantage they might offer in performance or fuel economy can be offset by something as simple as a mild temperature change or how much you ate for lunch
He's an idiot.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

He's an idiot.
I was referring to more of the styling things people are losing their collective sh-ts over.

But yes I agree with you on the 10 speed also...that's a silly comment.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm sorry, that is quite possibly the worst article I've read yet. The 10 speed auto could be one of the biggest performance benefits for the MY18. GM and Chrysler hold a huge advantage with their 8 speeds.

The author seems to have no clue on the performance gains to be had with the MY18, which in all reality is the only reason people will be purchasing. The body changed, yesā€¦but not nearly enough to sway buyers from other manufactures. As a whole, the styling cues are really not that far off from the current mustang.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I was referring to more of the styling things people are losing their collective sh-ts over.

But yes I agree with you on the 10 speed also...that's a silly comment.
I've been saying that ever since the refresh dropped last week.

The difference is really very minor. So many people are freaking out about how it doesn't look like a Mustang and how Ford needs to fire the designers..when it's literally the same car from the A-pillar back and the front end changes are fairly minor. The 2012-2013 transition was much more drastic.
Sponsored