Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
CID: Cubic Inch Displacement

Not interested in reflecting back on heritage? Mach 1, Cobra, GT500, Boss 302, GT350 all seem like a callback to the 60's.
Thanks for correcting my CID slip up:headbonk:
Agreed...all heritage names, but the GT350 is the only SE currently in production.
I'm guessing that at today's Ford, the thought processes/rational present when the last generation Boss 302 and GT500 were produced may no longer exist.

There is no hardcore evidence regarding the resurrection of any of the other SE Mustang models at this time...only speculation.

Considering Ford's presumed quest to attract new and younger buyers in an expanded world market that is focused on green and autonomous technologies, I not do see them devoting much effort into reviving many models of a beloved, but bygone, old school performance past.

Only the true enthusiasts care about the SE models.
Younger buyers here and around the world may be familiar with the names, but surely only a handful know the lineage.

The S650 release should clarify a lot a unknowns and provide good insight into Ford's vision and plans for the Mustang of the future.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
"The S650 release should clarify a lot a unknowns and provide good insight into Ford's vision and plans for the Mustang of the future."
-EJS2016

Ford's lineup in China will be, by 2025, 70 percent electrified.
So the U.S. will not be far behind.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
CID: Cubic Inch Displacement

Not interested in reflecting back on heritage? Mach 1, Cobra, GT500, Boss 302, GT350 all seem like a callback to the 60's.
I think the biggest indicator of whether these projects continue going forward will be hearing the language from the new CEO come his first earnings report.

Ford's 1Q earnings report was nothing but praise for the highly profitable F series and Lincoln luxury vehicles. Plus diesel and all things electric. No questions regarding performance vehicles or cars in general. It's much cheaper to stop a new vehicle before it hits the market then let it contribute to the workload and be hardly profitable in comparison to the F series cash cow.

Looks like Jim Hackett is all about cutting cost and becoming efficient.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/05/22/ford-ceo-jim-hackett-mark-fields/102001744/

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I think the biggest indicator of whether these projects continue going forward will be hearing the language from the new CEO come his first earnings report.

Ford's 1Q earnings report was nothing but praise for the highly profitable F series and Lincoln luxury vehicles. Plus diesel and all things electric. No questions regarding performance vehicles or cars in general. It's much cheaper to stop a new vehicle before it hits the market then let it contribute to the workload and be hardly profitable in comparison to the F series cash cow.

Looks like Jim Hackett is all about cutting cost and becoming efficient.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/05/22/ford-ceo-jim-hackett-mark-fields/102001744/
Ding, ding, ding...that's right...Ford is a TRUCK company.
Soon it will be a truck and hybrid/electric vehicle company.
And it will probably be the first manufacturer to market with a hybrid/all electric big rig.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Guess it's even more of a reason to keep this car for a long time.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
i looked at the corners on the new front end of the 18 orange fury and i noticed it looked like the paint shop didnt get good coverage back in the corners and such where the black plastic attached, i hope this isnt the case when it comes to production...that would be a turnoff for me, half painted front end....
i did notice a lot of "bug catcher" areas on the front...have fun on long trips!

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Ding, ding, ding...that's right...Ford is a TRUCK company.
Soon it will be a truck and hybrid/electric vehicle company.
And it will probably be the first manufacturer to market with a hybrid/all electric big rig.
Everyone's a truck company right now. It's the only category that's up for most makers. Cars are all down, even for Toyota. As long as gas stays cheap trucks will continue to do ok.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
It would not kill you if you did not own a 2015.
For we prospective buyers it gives us joy.
To be new and different is to enjoy life and all it offers.
I ordered '17 after seing '18 pictures.

It is true that new designs pretty often grow on people eventuallly.

But speaking of, say, new mini cooper, I still like the first gen design better than the second, the second is ok, but could've been better, and I still cannot stand what they produce now.

Plus, Ford introduces enough new engine tech for 5.0. Too much for just a refresh. I think they'd like to test it at s550 before the new gen. I'm new to Mustangs, but other manufacturers I dealt with used midcycle refresh mostly (not always) for bug fixes and refinements.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Everyone's a truck company right now. It's the only category that's up for most makers. Cars are all down, even for Toyota. As long as gas stays cheap trucks will continue to do ok.
With worldwide pushes for exponential jumps in mpg vehicles and electric. It will be a weight holding down oil prices that will only grow as time and technology continue to push the combustion engine into near extinction. Oil prices are down and down for good. It would probably take a massive military (aka requires lots of fuel) conflict to adjust the trend.

Not only do you have the supply side trying to slither its way through the low prices. You have weaker demand growth worldwide as underdeveloped nations that were initially anticipated to push prices higher skipping straight to hybrid / electric vehicles. With too many drilling and fat supply storage numbers joined with possibly in the near decade negative demand. It's a recipe for disaster of the oil industry where profits were as easy as breathing air only a few years ago.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP