OEM bumper Re-install

RevyDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Has anyone been successful in getting the top corner on both sides back into the clip? Spent a little time on it and still no luck
7C630F4E-52AA-48DB-AEF2-0A40033B46D5.jpeg
F3F4D6D3-6751-4E4C-ABA3-5603E703E76C.jpeg
98A2E667-C9A2-4A76-8433-5A2A9218E604.jpeg
Sponsored

Bill Reid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2016 Ecoboost Premium Coupe
I apologize if this is not much help...

I have an 2016 Ecoboost Coupe that I bought at local Copart Salvage Auction... zero damage to rear of car (other than missing rear cover when car received)... really no panel damage to whole car... mostly front subframe / suspension damage which was all replaceable.. along with need for replacement front/rear covers. Anyway, I bought an OEM used rear cover and had it painted thinking I wasn't going to have any problems with fitment. NOT the case. On my car the fitment you mention on these corners I have the same problem. The panel mounted brackets are not broken. The cover is not damaged/broken... has all tabs in perfect condition. Yet, on the Passenger side I cannot get the bumper cover to remain clipped to the bracket in said location. Body shop is telling me to glue it in place... or take the cost risk and replace/paint the cover with another (preferred) OEM cover and hope that solves the problem. Based on my experience with the quality of a new front OEM cover I replaced I am not confident that another cover will fix problem. Just not sure. Sun is hell on plastic down here in the Southwest. Who knows. If I glue it and need to remove cover in the future for any reason I risk another cover replacement / paint job. I may try RTV and see if it will hold the bracket/tabs in place. If it holds its fairly easy to cut RTV to remove cover from bracket... at least that is my theory I may try. Good Luck.

OP
OP
RevyDSM

RevyDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I apologize if this is not much help...

I have an 2016 Ecoboost Coupe that I bought at local Copart Salvage Auction... zero damage to rear of car... really no panel damage to whole car... mostly front subframe / suspension damage which was all replaceable. Anyway, I bought an OEM used rear cover and had it painted thinking I wasn't going to have any problems with fitment. NOT the case. On my car the fitment you mention on these corners I have the same problem. The panel mounted brackets are not broken. The cover is not damaged/broken... has all tabs in perfect condition. Yet, on the Passenger side I cannot get the bumper cover to remain clipped to the bracket in said location. Body shop is telling me to glue it in place... or take the cost risk and replace/paint the cover with another (preferred) OEM cover and hope that solves the problem. Based on my experience with the quality of the front OEM cover I replaced I am not confident that another cover will fix problem. Just not sure. Sun is hell on plastic down here in the Southwest. Who knows. If I glue it and need to remove cover in the future for any reason I risk another cover replacement / paint job. I may try RTV and see if it will hold the bracket/tabs in place. If it holds its fairly easy to cut RTV to remove cover from bracket... at least that is my theory I may try. Good Luck.
Ya it’s kind of a crappy situation. You can either do the TSB and cut the tabs and put a rivet in or ive browsed a couple more forums and found these pictures. At that point when screwing it you now have to worry about the weight of the bumper pulling away from the screw and failing
B6E51EDB-A1D4-450D-A22A-30AAE49A0428.png
6AE139C9-E903-44B5-A466-0510BD2528FE.png

Bill Reid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2016 Ecoboost Premium Coupe
Ya it’s kind of a crappy situation. You can either do the TSB and cut the tabs and put a rivet in or ive browsed a couple more forums and found these pictures. At that point when screwing it you now have to worry about the weight of the bumper pulling away from the screw and failing
B6E51EDB-A1D4-450D-A22A-30AAE49A0428.png
6AE139C9-E903-44B5-A466-0510BD2528FE.png
Oh, I like that... along with maybe a dab or 2 of RTV on the problematic tabs. Thanks for that.
Bill
Sponsored