Number plate holders, what do you have?

tweedbean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Two MINI's but looking for a Mustang
Hi all, feel like I may be ordering my Mustang GT today if I can make the numbers work with the dealer. In preparation I will ask them to not screw the front plate on as we all know they look better without a front plate.

With this in mind I wondered what removable plate holders people had, is Sto n Sho the only option?

Where did you purchase yours from? Wasn't sure if it would work out cheaper to get direct from US.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The only one I know is Sto N Sho.

On my 15 I just stuck it on with double sided tape. Demon Plates sell an "Import Plate" which is closer in size to the standard USA plate and thus doesn't look at goofy up front in my opinion.

53d91e936125c74db7b1fa6c5b6e6000.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Sto n Sho, US performance pack version, purchased from CJ Pony as ordering from the US was about the only option back then!

stang drive.jpg

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
back in the day - when i had a Honda S2000 - I was stopped (and done) for illegal font - and then stopped again for insecure fixing of front number plate (tape) a few days later...

It was totally secure and was supplied with the correct two sided tape that came with the new (correctly spaced and correctly fonted plates - sorry officer)

......all I am saying is dont be too obvious or they will do you!!

Sponsored

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I had a metal number plate fitted straight onto the front bumper by my dealer they bent the plate slightly so it fits the bumper contour and used sticky pads and it’s been great after one year so far at the back they just stuck a normal plastic number plate straight on. So no drilling and no number plate adapters used.

mad murph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Fighter Jet Grey Mach 1
I’m picking up my car next month and have asked the dealer not to use the holder or drill the bumper.
My question is will a standard front plate bend enough to be held on the bumper with sticky pads?
Thanks

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I’m picking up my car next month and have asked the dealer not to use the holder or drill the bumper.
My question is will a standard front plate bend enough to be held on the bumper with sticky pads?
Thanks
plastic one eventually works its self lose at one side or the other its just abit to stiff. metal ones work ok as you can actually bend them and they hold the bend or just do what most of us do and get a stick on.

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
plastic one eventually works its self lose at one side or the other its just abit to stiff. metal ones work ok as you can actually bend them and they hold the bend or just do what most of us do and get a stick on.
Hi Hinch. Can I ask, who's the preferred supplier for the stick-on plates?

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Hi Hinch. Can I ask, who's the preferred supplier for the stick-on plates?
don't know i just had the local vinyl place knock me one up when they did my striped think they changed me an extra tenner for it on top of the 140 for the stripes just find someone near you that does vinyl wrapping or even signwriting

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Re stick on plates;

I got my aluminium plates from "number1plates.com". These are the "flat" type - no raised lettering. Quite strong but can be bent on the front to fit around the point in the bumper.

My current plates (added on Friday) are from "UKmetalplates.com" and are the "pressed" variety, and have a black border around the edge. Much thinner and therefore easier to bend but I think they look quite cool :cool: pics below

Both were stuck on with this stuff - which holds up very well;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009IQCET2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doubled up the tape on the back to go over the small holes used for the US plates. I've removed & re added plates 3 times now. A bit time consuming but the sticky pads do come off well.
IMG_4661.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What size plates are these pal? And when you stuck them on, did you just cut 4 squares for each corner? I'm going to order these now and plan to stick my plates on at collection.
The standard size (52 cm).

I put a long-ish strip on each end - on the flat bit with no pressed letters, then a few squares in between - difficult for mine because of where the letters are and no flat bits.

One tip - make sure you bend/curve the plates so they sit flush against the body, they can become unstuck.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I used to run a StoNSho, was happy enough with it, but once I lowered my car it literally lasted a day before being destroyed.

I switched about a year ago to a Craigs Custom Bracket. Its brilliant, nice quality and takes about 10s to get the plate off and perhaps 20-30s to put it back on.

Im not sure why they arent more popular......??

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/

On the car:

IMG_5537-2.jpg

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used to run a StoNSho, was happy enough with it, but once I lowered my car it literally lasted a day before being destroyed.

I switched about a year ago to a Craigs Custom Bracket. Its brilliant, nice quality and takes about 10s to get the plate off and perhaps 20-30s to put it back on.

Im not sure why they arent more popular......??

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/
No drill holder that puts it higher up on the car? Count me in. That looks superb!

Amazing photograph, by the way. :thumbsup:
Sponsored