Sponsored

Novice Impressions of Claying

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I haven't tried that product. A wax has a finite lifespan. Optimal ratings of 4 months could change depending on the user, method of application, and care taken between waxes. If you are using a harsh washing product your lifespan could be reduced.
Sponsored

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Audi RS3 / 2023 Porsche GT4
There's no set time to claying. 2 hours isn't that long to do it if you're being very meticulous. A new car probably can be blown through faster than something you've been driving for a while and end up with any buildup. I'd rather clay slow and wet and be sure you never let it remotely go dry. I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. :)

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Clay barring a car is anything but fun. It's work. Hard work. One may consider it "thankless work" about half way into the endeavor… BUT you do notice a difference when it's done.

And if it goes quickly, you're not doing it right. ;)

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Clay barring a car is anything but fun.
Actually, I rather enjoy it. I do all of my vehicles 2 - 3 times a year. If I go to shows, even more. Love the feeling of the surface when finished!

And 2 hours isn't extreme. When I do a show prep, it usually takes 10 - 11 hours to complete everything, not just the clay.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Actually, I rather enjoy it. I do all of my vehicles 2 - 3 times a year. If I go to shows, even more. Love the feeling of the surface when finished!

And 2 hours isn't extreme. When I do a show prep, it usually takes 10 - 11 hours to complete everything, not just the clay.
More power to ya, brotha. And yeah, the finish feels pretty freakin' amazing afterwards. Just do it for the love of the car, because no one is going to volunteer to clay bar your car for you out of love of performing the task. LOL

Sponsored

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Well… If YOU buy the beer, I'm up for the task at hand. :thumbsup:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Sealant bonds to your paint and protects it from the elements from anywhere to 3 up to 12 months.

Wax will bead water better, give your car a better shine and can even protect the paint better than sealant. Wax, however does not last as long. Anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.

If you enjoy waxing and are able to do it regularly, that'll be plenty protection. Some people like to have both sealant and wax protection for peace of mind. I think I also read somewhere that extra coats of protection can enhance the gloss.
So after clay bar you do not need to use a special sealant, THEN also wax or use what ever your coating of choice is, correct?

Am I correct that you guys are saying that you need to put 'something' (sealant, wax, polymer) on it to not leave exposed untreated coated paint to the elements, birds, etc.

So sealants should provide a longer lasting glossy protective coating than wax (or maybe even polymer?).

Are sealants that much more more work to apply than wax?
Can you use wax 'next time' after using a sealant weeks or months before?
Any compatibility issue at all between sealant, waxes or polymers?

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
So after clay bar you do not need to use a special sealant, THEN also wax or use what ever your coating of choice is, correct?

Am I correct that you guys are saying that you need to put 'something' (sealant, wax, polymer) on it to not leave exposed untreated coated paint to the elements, birds, etc.

So sealants should provide a longer lasting glossy protective coating than wax (or maybe even polymer?).

Are sealants that much more more work to apply than wax?
Can you use wax 'next time' after using a sealant weeks or months before?
Any compatibility issue at all between sealant, waxes or polymers?
The best way someone has described sealant to me was "synthetic wax". Basically, it does essentially the same thing as wax, but lasts much much longer because of the molecular level bond that the synthetics are able to achieve. Most people will claim that sealant doesn't have as "wet" of a look as wax, but for me they look very similar except on black cars. You CAN put wax over sealant to get the best of both worlds ie. best protection and best look, but I can't notice a difference between sealant + wax and just sealant.

Sealant is easier to apply than wax IMO, depending. It just takes longer, because most sealants have a "bonding time" of around 20 minutes. You apply it just like a wax, wait 20 minutes, then wipe it off.

Sealant usually lasts 8-12 months depending on how your car is stored etc, and you certainly can put wax on many times in that period to get a show quality finish again.

I'd highly reccomend claybarring your car straight from the dealer, then applying sealant and optional wax. I have experience using this stuff and I highly reccomend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...5948273&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+guys+jetseal

Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
It goes on and comes off SUPER easy. Even easier than their butter wet wax which is probably the easiest to apply wax I've ever used. I can't even tell a difference in finish between the two, then again my car is silver... Time will tell how long the jetseal lasts but so far I'm a believer.
Sponsored