Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Just talked with my dealer this morning. Small town dealer that does mostly pickups and always great treatment. No sales pitch, just give him what you want and he tells you what he can get and how much. If you can get a better deal, he is fine with it. My Mustang was ordered 10 ago weeks and the trucks he ordered around then for routine stock have been delivered long before the holidays. He says that they have not scheduled my car, and they tell him that none are going to be scheduled for six more weeks. He is also upset because he can’t get the Bullitt he was allocated. And they don’t give any reason for the hold up. Hopefully the issue gets resolved earlier.

I just wish I knew the reason why. The more likely reasons are problems with the Chinese on the Magneride, and/or the weather issues with summer only tires. I hate that I am missing the mid-February car show, but now it looks like the end of March show in Houston is off too.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Just talked with my dealer this morning. Small town dealer that does mostly pickups and always great treatment. No sales pitch, just give him what you want and he tells you what he can get and how much. If you can get a better deal, he is fine with it. My Mustang was ordered 10 ago weeks and the trucks he ordered around then for routine stock have been delivered long before the holidays. He says that they have not scheduled my car, and they tell him that none are going to be scheduled for six more weeks. He is also upset because he can’t get the Bullitt he was allocated. And they don’t give any reason for the hold up. Hopefully the issue gets resolved earlier.

I just wish I knew the reason why. The more likely reasons are problems with the Chinese on the Magneride, and/or the weather issues with summer only tires. I hate that I am missing the mid-February car show, but now it looks like the end of March show in Houston is off too.
Unfortunately, small volume dealers get lower priority from Ford. It could be Magnaride constraints, but that’s less to do with the Chinese than Ford simply only allocating a certain amount each year based on projected demand; when the allocation gets low, they start focusing stock towards models that come with it as standard (GT350, PP2) and high volume dealerships, the rest more-or-less becomes a lottery. It happened to me on my 2018 order which was cancelled by Ford due to the same Magnaride constraints that occurred on the 2018 MY, my dealership immediately reordered my car as a 2019, but I reasearched the issue to hell and back.
Worse comes to worse, you’ll wind up with a 2020 in early summer, and hopefully a HUD for your trouble :p :)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
We can't make magnetic shocks in the United States? Rediculous.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We can't make magnetic shocks in the United States? Rediculous.
Magneride is a brand name owned by BWI (Bejing West Industries) and is patented. So, no. Also, the fact that they are made in China has nothing to do with Ford running out of allocation, this happened in 2018 as well.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
An F150 rolls off the line every minute of every day 7 days a week 52 weeks a year, not A fair comparison.
Second guessing as to why your car is behind is grief causing. Sit tight....you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face when she arrives and you'll won't regret the wait.
If your in pain....buy one off a lot somewhere. Dealers will deliver to your door

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bear376

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is Magneride and anyone who has commercial contracts with China, knows how convoluted they can be. I cannot believe that Ford has not tried to increase their allocation. They probably would expand its use if BWI would allow.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It is Magneride and anyone who has commercial contracts with China, knows how convoluted they can be. I cannot believe that Ford has not tried to increase their allocation. They probably would expand its use if BWI would allow.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Any thought that this could be related to the US Import Tax/Tariff from China? I know my business is getting hit hard with it right now on network and security products coming into the US from China. I read somewhere there is a 40% tariff on import cars (Ford was highlighted) coming into China... Games in/Games out..... Just a thought could be completely unrelated....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bear376

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have mixed feelings about the situation. I have a really nice Mustang that I have no issues with driving. It needs a full tuneup and during that some upgrades which would prevent its availability for scheduled events.

The new Mustang is going to replace my 2013 as my daily driver and road warrior. My 2013 will be relegated to show duties and tinkering for awhile. If I have good luck, I may get worked in to a 2019 allocation. Otherwise it will be August or September that I get my car. Then I have to hope that there are no model changes that affect my plans.

Since this was an issue with the 2018 models, too, I have no doubts that part of the problem is political and the arrogance that China often negotiates with. I am sure that given the chance, Ford would offer MagneRide on all Lincoln models and some SUVs. I have wonder if BWI were to be blatant about denying it to some manufacturers, if the courts or someone would find a way to bypass the patents.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford buys what they "predict" will be the demand. They tend to underestimate it. China is not the blame. Proof: I haven't seen GM having issues allocating Magneride (and they've used Magneride longer than Ford). I know it sucks, I was in your position last year, but Ford is the one to blame here sadly.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Come on, people, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

There is NO data that MagnaRide is backordered, limited to specific models, limited to dealers calling favors, held up by the Chinese, held up by trade wars, or anything else. There's simply people repeating what they've been told the dealer was told by Ford. That and $0.50 leaves you short of money for a cup of coffee, as all such stories seem to be designed to lay no blame on the dealer at hand.

There is data that MagnaRide is not backordered, as evinced by people getting cars with it installed.

Filter your inputs, folks.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Magneride is a brand name owned by BWI (Bejing West Industries) and is patented. So, no. Also, the fact that they are made in China has nothing to do with Ford running out of allocation, this happened in 2018 as well.
Now it makes sense. BWI bought the GM subsidiary. I thought this was American tech. The new Koni Active shock/struts
are looking like a very promising alternative/upgrade. Maybe not, since I'm seeing they may not be compatible on the 18+ (not certain).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bear376

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I admit my dislike of Chinese quality and business tactics may cloud my attitude towards anything they are involved with. However, there is a finite number of MagneRide units available and if that is because some manager miscalculated two years running, he should get the boot. I ran a plant that required ordering large quantities of chemicals and nothing was left to chance on orders. The only difference here, it is a sole source vendor. Add the fact that I think Ford would desire the same system in all the Lincoln models, I have to wonder why they are not doing so.

Everything Ford is building for the next month or so, has already been scheduled, so cutbacks on the numbers of cars with MagneRide will not be seen until February or March. And the information is out there, it just that nobody seems interested in publishing it.

OP
OP
Bear376

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got VIN. Happy dance.

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
I'm not sure why we care that China's BWI has a patent for magnaride, they don't care about patents so why doesn't one of our companies just reverse engineer it and sell it as their version?
Sponsored