Noob Question

csimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
cam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys wheel and tire rookie here. I bought used wheels and tires about 5 months ago. They are 20x10 and 20x11 on 305’s in the rear. My question is that see in the photo that my rear tires sticks out a pretty decent amount but others running 305’s don’t seem to be sticking out as far.i plan on going with springs soon and wanna know Is there any fix for that? I am going to need new tires (4) here soon and if anybody has a size recommendation thst would help out a lot! I appreciate the help sorry for the bad photo it’s all i have at the moment. Thank you
CC356BE0-3311-456C-9DCA-F107072D243D.jpeg
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
The offset of the rim is going to really determine how much the tire sticks out.
if you put springs on they can adjust so the car won’t rub if you hit a big bump but that just angles the tires, doesn’t actually bring them in.
expensive solution would be to get different rims with a different offset to push them more inboard.
cheaper would be to buy a set of mudflaps to stop the rocks from kicking up as much.

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
^ yes this is a wheel offset issue. Do some reading up on wheel offset. Changing tire size will not fix the problem, and the only way to eliminate the problem is to get new wheels with the correct offset (for 11" wheel you want +50 offset for flush fitment, lower offset means wheel will be farther from the car and vice versa). These wheels are probably universal, meant for a widebody application, or maybe designed to look that way.

OP
OP

csimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
cam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The offset of the rim is going to really determine how much the tire sticks out.
if you put springs on they can adjust so the car won’t rub if you hit a big bump but that just angles the tires, doesn’t actually bring them in.
expensive solution would be to get different rims with a different offset to push them more inboard.
cheaper would be to buy a set of mudflaps to stop the rocks from kicking up as much.
Aw so i’m pretty much stuck with this look huh? not that i don’t like it it just seems like the car doesn’t want to go 0-60 as fast haha

OP
OP

csimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
cam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
^ yes this is a wheel offset issue. Do some reading up on wheel offset. Changing tire size will not fix the problem, and the only way to eliminate the problem is to get new wheels with the correct offset (for 11" wheel you want +50 offset for flush fitment, lower offset means wheel will be farther from the car and vice versa). These wheels are probably universal, meant for a widebody application, or maybe designed to look that way.
Killing me with the truth haha, well i like the look just doesn’t seem very efficient for springs and the car doesn’t seem to accelerate like it did on stocks. Guess I gotta find something new 💰🤦🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Camber can help tuck the rears in. You can run up to about 2 degrees without serious drawbacks.

50-52 are normal offsets for 11” rears.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I can’t imagine tire size will change the tuck compared to rim width and offset (barring a bit of camber, which will tuck the top and poke the bottom). Different rims is about the only solution if you have an issue with the little poke you have. Considering the rim size you have very little poke (I think it looks good btw).

This shouldn’t be a negative to acceleration beyond higher reciprocating mass which I can’t imagine would make a big difference and the increase in traction beyond a stock 8.5” wide rim would increase grip and therefore acceleration…

The only advice I can give you for certain is to rinse the car off…
Sponsored