Sponsored

Nickel painted Perf. Pack. wheels... factory vs DIY?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Since I first got a look at them, the nickel PP wheels have grown on me as something I like verses the black PP wheels against a magnetic body.

Problem is, the dealer I'm looking at buying from doesn't stock any cars with them. That means 1) I'd have to order the car just for that. or 2) They'd have to find me that combination from another dealer.

If I have to factory order it, I'm guessing some of the incentives wouldn't apply. And if they have to find it from another dealer, I would think that'd increase the price.

Plus I plan to square off the wheels by trading/buying 2 so that I have all 4 the same size (allowing for a full size spare to be used).

Makes me curious if spraying the wheels myself is a better idea if that's the color I want in order to avoid bumping up the price more than the $100-$200 I think that option goes for?

Anyone spray their own wheels?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I sold my black wheels and bought the nickle ones from Ford ... ain't cheap though. Plus if you're going to go squared, ordering from Ford is the best bet (you buy them in 2's, not 4's).

In hindsight though, I should've just powder coated the black rims ... would've been cheaper in the end.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I think the Nickel PP wheels was a $200 option on top of PP.
maybe you can trade with another member? I know all the European models get the Nickel wheels

Sponsored

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Spraying your own wheels can be a bit difficult. If the preparation in not don't correctly you're not going to be happy with the end result. I would probably save yourself the trouble and powder coat them like Lou said.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
LoL I was going to post a link to Brando's DIY champage wheel as a possible alternative. I love my factory nickle but think his would look a little better on some color Mustangs.

You can get champagne like that or almost silver or anyplace between with mixing.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spraying your own wheels can be a bit difficult. If the preparation in not don't correctly you're not going to be happy with the end result. I would probably save yourself the trouble and powder coat them like Lou said.
I've powder coated bullets. Just used a toaster oven. And used a tumbler to build up a static charge so the powder would stick. Powder coating an entire wheel??? Means popping the tire off and then using the house oven??

Or is there some other way to powder coat?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
LoL I was going to post a link to Brando's DIY champage wheel as a possible alternative. I love my factory nickle but think his would look a little better on some color Mustangs.

You can get champagne like that or almost silver or anyplace between with mixing.
Thanks bro!:headbang:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've powder coated bullets.
Okay, I'll bite. How do you load them in the case and how do you clean the coating out of the barrel grooves?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, I'll bite. How do you load them in the case and how do you clean the coating out of the barrel grooves?
Paint doesn't come off in the rifling and a very minimal flare of the mouth avoids it being scraped off.

It essentially turns cast lead into jacketed so no leading of the barrel. And because it's homemade you can load pretty much any caliber (short of .50BMG) for a few bucks a box.

Lookup fortunecookie or elvisammo on youtube.

-Emt1581

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks bro!:headbang:
No problem. I have never seen a wheel that looks that good on a Guard Mustang. The PP wheels are a gorgeous design to start and that is the perfect color for a Guard car and pretty damn nice on most color Mustangs.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
My PP is blacked out, but I like the nickel and keeping the chrome badges and lugs...looks pretty sharp.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From looking at what all is needed, this is FAR from an easy fix. I have to figure some way to get the dealer to "stock"/order magnetic/base/performance with the nickel wheels.

Thanks

-Emt1581

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
From looking at what all is needed, this is FAR from an easy fix. I have to figure some way to get the dealer to "stock"/order magnetic/base/performance with the nickel wheels.

Thanks

-Emt1581
You could always buy the Nickle ones (either get new/better tires or use the OEM ones) and then sell the black ones. Should be an even trade all said and done. The Nickle ones are only $570 on CJPonyParts (not affiliated):http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-gt-performance-pack-wheel-19-x9-and-19-x9-5-silver-set-v6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/M1007KM19XS/
Sponsored