Sponsored

New turbo recommendation, Comp 3.0 oil less?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I run them and have not had issues past the zerk fittings pushing out constantly.
So Comp just sends you new fittings without an explanation as to why they are coming loose and falling out ? According to them they are set in with Loctite before the grease is put in, if this is a design problem you would think more people would be having this issue and we would hear more about it. There seems to be a black mystery cloud around all these turbo kits and associated problems, for the exception of the Hellion kit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

awdtsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Curious as to why your switching/upgrading turbos.
I wanted to get a little larger turbobut mostly the peace of mind of not having a scavenge system.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I'd assume someone with an AWDTSI would have fabbed up everything themselves and then retrofitted their own solution by now!

God knows that's what I am going to do. #DSMLIFE

OP
OP

awdtsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Lol, the whole reason I got the Mustang was to "keep it stock" and enjoy it. Next thing I know I have twin turbos lol. Still miss my dsm though, trapped 145 in that guy and beat up on Mustangs all the time in my earlier years haha.

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So Comp just sends you new fittings without an explanation as to why they are coming loose and falling out ? According to them they are set in with Loctite before the grease is put in, if this is a design problem you would think more people would be having this issue and we would hear more about it. There seems to be a black mystery cloud around all these turbo kits and associated problems, for the exception of the Hellion kit.
Yep and I'm aware of several others that have had the same thing happen. I asked Comp what the torque spec is and their response didn't really exude confidence. They told me to tighten to snug and make an additional 1/4 turn.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Maybe you should tie a wire or string to the fittings so when they fall out you won't loose them lol.:doh:

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Lol, the whole reason I got the Mustang was to "keep it stock" and enjoy it. Next thing I know I have twin turbos lol. Still miss my dsm though, trapped 145 in that guy and beat up on Mustangs all the time in my earlier years haha.
Me too man hahaha

Inline iron block motors can be pretty stout!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Worst turbos ever. They work for a while. Customers end up shipping their turbos in for warranty over and over and over. I want my car to run at least 90% of the time. Maybe weld the zero fittings :doh:
im looking into a LPF kit and researching comp turbos, I’ve seen 3-4 posts here of you saying worst turbos ever.... then see you state you are running combo turbos? Did you change your mind, or are they worst turbos ever because of your experience

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
I ran Comp 6062's for just over a year and the only issue I had was with the grease fittings falling out. Clean them.super good and lock tite them in place to keep them there for good.
Otherwise no issues at all.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The Comp oil less turbos are junk. Had a friend that spent more time installing and uninstalling them for warranty work. He ended up having to buy a 3rd turbo for his twin turbo lpf kit to keep car running. Now with that said a properly built kit the comp oil less turbos may do well so since a correctly built set of turbo headers would not produce the ungodly back pressure issues that throw the compressor wheel into the housing wall. The Comps do not have a thrust bearing for this the back pressure from using stock 5.0 headers
I’m thinking you are talking about there early turbos. They use to have problems but I never hear any complaints anymore.
I would use the oil less air cooled turbos if it was me

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I’m thinking you are talking about there early turbos. They use to have problems but I never hear any complaints anymore.
I would use the oil less air cooled turbos if it was me
Yes they are much better. I am running them. My post you quoted was back in the day. They are much improved. I bought another pair.
Sponsored