Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think the issue here is probably a tuning error. He may have forgotten to set the low speed fan to come on at 190, so you get no fans at all until high comes on at 223. Which isn't necessarily a huge issue or anything, but it's sub optimal. On a stock NA car the low speed doesn't come on until around 212 coolant temp, so it's not too far off the stock behavior.

So it's fine, but personally I'd want to run a whippled car cooler in general to give yourself more margin to play before heat soak sets in.
Yea seems that way.What do you mean by a 'Whippled car cooler'?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Like just keeping temps lower
Oh I get it yeah. Thats the idea but doesn't help when the fans don't even come on. Lol Well last tune I had no temp problems but a lot of other problems which is why I went with a new tune.
And now this sh*t. Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so far away.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can anyone in here give an informed opinion on what an optimal temp setting would be for the high speed fan?
I live in Canada and summer temps are from 60 -90. Reaching a hundred maybe 7 times a year, maybe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Exactly this. Look at your IATs in the pic. 160. Surprised your head temp isnt 350 degrees. Lol 160 is crazy this time of the year.
I'm wondering that since I'm running a modified Whipple tune with there IAT pigtail am I getting my readings from the MAF now?

Screenshot_20240317-185212_Chrome~2.jpg

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
On my previous tune, under the initial maiden voyage, my CHT's were steadily climbing to high 220's on the drive from the shop to my house. I was worried at the time that the cooling system was faltering because we had a slight leak at the coolant cross over lines. After thinking that keeping the A/C off would help, I couldn't take it anymore and turned it on. Instead of making it worse, the CHT's began to fall. Why? Because the fan logic when the A/C is engaged is different and engaged both fans fully.

This could be fan logic, it could be air voids stuck somewhere in either the intercooler or engine cooling system, it could also be a faulty bypass (not open at low rpm or vacuum conditions). I'd check all of them, but it seems like a fan issue (at least). Always be a cynic, never assume that an issue is just a single problem source. It could be more than one.

You shouldn't be seeing 160F IAT2's, even in hot weather. I'm running a 2.75" pulley and even before my interchiller system I never got close to that even in lengthy stop light driving.

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
My CHT are exactly like yours after installing the Whipple. 190'ish while driving, and 215'ish when stopped. I'm running 50% coolant & 50% distilled water with 2 bottles of Water Wetter and a 170 t-stat. According to Whipple, it's normal so I'm not too worried.

I'm not sure how accurate the CHT sensor is because my car can be parked in the garage at 70 degrees, and as soon as I start the engine it already reads like 100 degrees. There's no way the engine got that hot in 2 seconds.

This is a FLIR picture taken after the car's been sitting off for 1 hour. Everything is just hot.

FLIR0091.jpg

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My CHT are exactly like yours after installing the Whipple. 190'ish while driving, and 215'ish when stopped. I'm running 50% coolant & 50% distilled water with 2 bottles of Water Wetter and a 170 t-stat. According to Whipple, it's normal so I'm not too worried.

I'm not sure how accurate the CHT sensor is because my car can be parked in the garage at 70 degrees, and as soon as I start the engine it already reads like 100 degrees. There's no way the engine got that hot in 2 seconds.

This is a FLIR picture taken after the car's been sitting off for 1 hour. Everything is just hot.

FLIR0091.jpg
We could go into a very interesting discussion about Ford's approach to the CHT and ECT. The summary is, the range of temps is beyond what a single sensor can accommodate, so Ford in their brilliance decided to unify it keeping a single sensor, but with two different signals. There are certain conditions where the car isn't sure which signal to honor and based off timing of how long the vehicle has been operating it can jump from one to the other. I'll try to pull up some of the literature around it. The bottom line is that the ECT is "inferred" (there is no ECT on most coyotes) from the CHT and time.

As far as CHT's, I run steady state at about 192F in typical South Florida weather, and the fans keep it there. Without the revised fan logic, the CHT's can really climb. Again, Ford and their effed up strategies is trying to squeeze out EVERY EPA EFFICIENCY possible so instead of running the fans all the time (whether the A/C is on or off) they have a very economized strategy. Of course that works when the car doesn't have the additional heat loading of a blower.

With the fan logic set properly, you shouldn't see CHT's in the deep 200's like you would when they're not running full boogie (unless you're truly pushing the car).

Like I said in my previous post, my old tuner forgot (on the initial tune) to employ a better fan strategy and they were climbing and climbing until I turned on the A/C and watched them start to drop (stop and go street light traffic).
Sponsored