New to me GT - eliminate drone

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Hello from New Hampshire. I just picked up a 2018 mustang GT with a Whipple ohI just picked up a 2018 mustang GT with a Whipple 3.0 and what looks like a resonator deleted it exhaust. I say look, it also sounds like. While it sounds good, the inside has far more drone than I want. Previous owner put some mediocre mufflers on, but the drone is really the issue. I have come across this resonator and while the reviews look good I would really value your input on this hardware.

I just want the interior drone gone. Thanks!!
242EF0AD-0DE0-4400-AF06-63655EE2233A.png
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Many people like the magnaflow tru x. Some people say it works too well but with you being supercharged your car will be louder anyways

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I love my tru x. I have catless long tubes and stock active exhaust with stage 2 whipple.

OP
OP
Aaron1085

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Great insights, and quick on the keys. Thanks a bunch. This is my first time in the Mustang world and the first time I’ve had a six speed in 6 years ... FINALLY.

so, I’ll begin Learning all about the Whipple and the add-ons the car already has. It is very basic inside, nothing fancy and is basically a GT with performance pack 1. Then the guy slapped on some mufflers deleted the resonators oh… And a large Whipple!
So, toss this resonator set up on and thay drone should be gone; an easy $260+ fix?

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Zero drone!!!

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Solo exhaust (the quietest version) and factory cats. Almost no drone with good tone. Wife does not bitch or moan when in the car. So that in itself gives SOLO the Good Housekeeping seal of approval on their product.And yes on am FI setup.

I'm a Magnaflow fan and I have not had luck with Magnaflow on Coyote's...FI or N/A and I ran magnaflow on my 13 GT in both states. Prior to 2015 there was one solid answer - OR H-pipe/factory GT500 axle backs. Some S550 guys have used this in custom fit kits and had luck as well but it will require custom exhaust.

Sorry but there are no cheap answers to minimizing the infamous drone that occurs under heavy load (especially when pulling a grade) in the 1800-2200 RPM range.

BTW - Solo uses sound cancelling design like AWE.

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The mediocre mufflers are the cause of your drone, NOT the resonator delete. Get yourself an axleback that's designed to cancel drone and live happy. Corsa, AWE, Borla all have good options.
This. Primary source of drone is the muffler design. If the design is prone to drone already, any increase in flow is going to increase the drone (resonator delete, headers etc). That said the true x kills most volume (for better or worse). So may assist the drone but the ideal and easiest way is to swap out the axle back for one with no drone design.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree it's the mufflers not the resonator delete. Do you like the sound overall and only the drone in the cab annoying, then easy and somewhat cheap fix is dynomatt. That should help a bunch. Dynomatt the entire trunk under the carpet. That should decrease drone a bit.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
tru x will get you what you want. change the AB also

OP
OP
Aaron1085

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
This. Primary source of drone is the muffler design. If the design is prone to drone already, any increase in flow is going to increase the drone (resonator delete, headers etc). That said the true x kills most volume (for better or worse). So may assist the drone but the ideal and easiest way is to swap out the axle back for one with no drone design.
Update, I found out the mufflers put on are Flowmaster 40 series. So, take that as ‘mediocre’ as you want. I know they are loud, which is fine, it’s just the drone issue.
I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Tru X Resonator.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Update, I found out the mufflers put on are Flowmaster 40 series. So, take that as ‘mediocre’ as you want. I know they are loud, which is fine, it’s just the drone issue.
Drone masters will do that. Tru X should kill most of the volume down to stock like and drone mitigated.

OP
OP
Aaron1085

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Cool. As I said, I have a good chunk of change into this thing already after just buying it, so not having to put on a replacement car-back or mufflers would save me some coin; sounds like putting on this Tru-X will cut my drone to reasonable levels for me .. and my wife! :)
Does anyone think the Flowmaster 40’s are drone creators or not necessarily?

thanks.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Ahh you got the dronemaster muffler. Flowmasters are known for their drone. Move on to a different AB setup.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Drone masters will do that. Tru X should kill most of the volume down to stock like and drone mitigated.

You beat me to it bro...dronemasters. Hate Flowmaster mufflers. They don't even flow that good.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
fyi- after a couple hundred miles on the tru x itll be broke in and a lil louder. But still zero rasp and tinny sound.
Sponsored