Sponsored

New regulations on ethanol content? News to me.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hey guys, it looks like ALL fuel grades will now have up to 10% ethanol in Canada, even our beloved Shell V-Power 91. I didn't even know this happened. I feel like they slipped this in right under our noses. I saw a few pumps with a 10% ethanol label on 91 and I thought it must have been a labelling error. But, no.

Response:
Good morning, Starting in 2022, all gasoline grades sold in Canada will be blended with ethanol, including premium gasoline (V-Power 91 and 93) according to proposed regulations (10% ethanol Federal Clean Fuel Regulation for 2022, Low Carbon Fuel Requirements and need to reduce the carbon intensity of fossil fuels, which ethanol is one mechanism to reduce carbon intensity).
All the provinces are switching slowly, and If you see the label at the pump, “Gasoline may contain up to 10% Ethanol” is already happening.

Regards, Sylvie Martin Shell Canada,
Technical Support Email: [email protected]

https://www.ontario.ca/page/cleaner-transportation-fuels
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Interesting. So no more "pure gas". I've always had better success on the PetroCan 94 anyways.

But, adding 10% ethanol to the 91 no e should raise octane to about 93. Wonder if there will be any subsequent bump in octane ratings at the pump now?

Yes, they snuck this one under us...

All this talk of the environment, then they get rid of the e85 pumps. Bring this back and i'll be happy!!

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Interesting. So no more "pure gas". I've always had better success on the PetroCan 94 anyways.

But, adding 10% ethanol to the 91 no e should raise octane to about 93. Wonder if there will be any subsequent bump in octane ratings at the pump now?

Yes, they snuck this one under us...

All this talk of the environment, then they get rid of the e85 pumps. Bring this back and i'll be happy!!
When I made the switch from Shell 91 to PetroCan 94, I noticed a slight performance boost. I don't recall the price being much if any different.

Sponsored

Reaper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP
Prices are usually the same between Shell 91 and Petro 94. I'll run both in my car. It sucks that Shell 91 will have ethanol though. What is this world coming too!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I refrain from anything 91 unless desperate and then will add octane booster. Did a Lake Huron tour last summer and there’s not many Petro 94 stations and zero Esso / Mobil 93.
Sponsored