New MT-82 Going In

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
So I've got the dealership replacing my transmission under warranty. Based on the brief research I have done it sounds like I am somewhat lucky they are doing this.

ON a road trip a few days ago I began to hear a high pitch whine that sounded like interference through the radio. Of course it was persistent with the radio off. It was a nice high pitch whine as I accelerated through the gears and it would disappear as soon as I let off the throttle and the gears unloaded. To put the noise level in perspective I could clearly hear it over the radio at highway speeds.

The tech told me it looked like the input shaft had excessive play and this may or may not be related to the oil drip on the garage floor that recently appeared under the transmission. Now they are awaiting receipt of an entire new unit to swap in. If I had the cash available I'd probably have them put a better transmission in. I've only put on 6300 miles so this a little concerning to me.

Has anybody had any similar experiences? Any problems I should expect after the work is complete? I'm wondering how long I should expect to wait for them to receive and then install the new unit. They gave me a loaner, but it's a Fusion. I traded in my old Fusion for the Mustang for a reason!

Andy
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had some whine in 1-4 gear when new between 2-3000rpm. Now it's pretty much gone and I see no leaking.

OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
So your noise just disappeared with time? Do you remember how many miles you had when it started?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Expect the same issue to come back with the new transmission...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mine makes a slight whine - can't hear it over the radio though. Always has. The MT-82 absolutely sucks. If I had known about it before I bought a Mustang, I would have gotten the auto. Frustrates me to no end.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
So your noise just disappeared with time? Do you remember how many miles you had when it started?
Brand new 19 miles when it had the sound. Right now I am at 1400 miles and the whining is pretty much gone.
Used to be able to hear it over radio. Kinda sounded like a supercharger.

OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Brand new 19 miles when it had the sound. Right now I am at 1400 miles and the whining is pretty much gone.
That's funny. For a brief moment I thought the same.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
My whine went away after 500-1000 miles . Made it easier to hear the driveline rumble at 50mph :/

OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
My whine went away after 500-1000 miles . Made it easier to hear the driveline rumble at 50mph :/
Oddly enough, I never heard anything when I was below 1500 miles. Started at about 6200 and it only got louder during the very short time I drove it.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
I think I would try and switch to Royal Purple oil in the trans...

Sponsored
OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
So I got a call on my way in to work this morning that the work on my car is complete. 9 days...seems like a long time, but faster than I expected.

Here are the notes from my invoice:
Input shaft bearing worn. Verified concern and R/R trans. Mount trans to bench for teardown. Teardown and inspect and found input bearing worn and damaged counter shaft. Input shaft case bore where bearing sits is too loose. Metal throughout other gears and bearings. Perform cost cap and results were to replace unit. Replace unit with reman. Post road test pass.

I'm a little disappointed that they used a remanufactured unit, but not surprised. I guess we'll see how she runs when I pick it up tonight.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
So I got a call on my way in to work this morning that the work on my car is complete. 9 days...seems like a long time, but faster than I expected.

Input shaft bearing worn. Verified concern and R/R trans. Mount trans to bench for teardown. Teardown and inspect and found input bearing worn and damaged counter shaft. Input shaft case bore where bearing sits is too loose. Metal throughout other gears and bearings. Perform cost cap and results were to replace unit. Replace unit with reman. Post road test pass.

I'm a little disappointed that they used a remanufactured unit, but not surprised. I guess we'll see how she runs when I pick it up tonight.
i do not think I would sweat a reman. They probably get better attention than the new ones....

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

Was that 9days from when they ordered the transmission ? That's not too bad.

OP
OP
mojo2008

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Was that 9days from when they ordered the transmission ? That's not too bad.
Nine days from dropping it off! I figured they'd take their time since it was warranty work.
Sponsored