Sponsored

New 21.5 compared to 17 observations

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Picked up my new white vert. today for which I traded in my yellow 17 vert for and have yet to get used to the new colour. The car thankfully had only 10.9km on the clock which was good to see. Took it home installed back seat cover my dog and a friend and went for a drive. I expect it is too early to make a comparison to the 17 vert but first observations were that, 10speed auto not as smooth as 6 speed and changes up very early to a high gear – it was in 7 at about 58kph. The biggest or most noticeable difference was even at a constant speed it “hunted” all the time and I could not drive smoothly. The exhaust noise in lowest value, next above the quiet mode, was much louder than my 17 vert..

Do the above change as it gets more kays on or do I get it looked at now. The louder exhaust is interesting in that I would prefer this mode to be similar to the 17 which to my ears was just the right note for the car. Have not driven it in quiet mode yet which will do tomorrow. Have programmed in times for the quiet mode and if I drive it after the time has passed can I select it on the move?
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Picked up my new white vert. today for which I traded in my yellow 17 vert for and have yet to get used to the new colour. The car thankfully had only 10.9km on the clock which was good to see. Took it home installed back seat cover my dog and a friend and went for a drive. I expect it is too early to make a comparison to the 17 vert but first observations were that, 10speed auto not as smooth as 6 speed and changes up very early to a high gear – it was in 7 at about 58kph. The biggest or most noticeable difference was even at a constant speed it “hunted” all the time and I could not drive smoothly. The exhaust noise in lowest value, next above the quiet mode, was much louder than my 17 vert..

Do the above change as it gets more kays on or do I get it looked at now. The louder exhaust is interesting in that I would prefer this mode to be similar to the 17 which to my ears was just the right note for the car. Have not driven it in quiet mode yet which will do tomorrow. Have programmed in times for the quiet mode and if I drive it after the time has passed can I select it on the move?
Probably the easiest way to change it on the move is to incorporate quite mode into my mode. Then it will be just a toggle up to select it.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
With the transmission, maybe try driving it in sport mode. Our previous Jag XE hunted for gears because it was tuned for economy, but in sport mode it keeps gears lower and holds them longer. You use more juice, but that's the tradeoff. Also some transmissions will learn how you drive and improve. My missus says that after I borrow her car it drives more aggressively, I dont know what she is talking about...

But if you find sport mode is the trick you could set sport transmission and quiet exhaust as your "my mode"

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
With the transmission, maybe try driving it in sport mode. Our previous Jag XE hunted for gears because it was tuned for economy, but in sport mode it keeps gears lower and holds them longer. You use more juice, but that's the tradeoff. Also some transmissions will learn how you drive and improve. My missus says that after I borrow her car it drives more aggressively, I dont know what she is talking about...

But if you find sport mode is the trick you could set sport transmission and quiet exhaust as your "my mode"
That is a good "My Mode" setting for when you are currently in a loud exhaust mode and the police appear beside you at the traffic lights.

OP
OP
clive1

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Takes time to learn driving style I wouldn't be too concerned over the trans behaviour it's optimized for fuel efficiency.
That sounds reasonable I was wondering if it was adaptive and if so it would take some time to adjust. I like the idea of MyMode and to be honest was not aware of this. Sounds similar to a camera I have where with one press it configures itself into what you have set it to.

I do not think the earlier auto had this feature but if it had I would have used it. Hopefully next few weeks will be able to get some realistic kays on the clock and wil try a few things.

Thanks for the advise much appreciated. My neighbour just came over to tell me he thinks it looks really good in white and I am getting used to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
clive1

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
ConVERTible
Have a few more kays on it and am really pleased with Mchelins and the extra power. Not sure if this is normal but when garaged opened the hood and almost burnt my hand. it was extremely hot in there. Cannot see those 2 little hood vents coping so am going to try and find bigger ones.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Coyotes run hot, plenty with lots of km so nothing to worry about. Hood vents like that don't vent heat they improve air flow through the radiator by negating air pressure build up in the engine bay. I haven't seen the oem vents on an 18+ up close but suspect they might be largely cosmetic or have minimal venting to serve as above. About the only way you're going to remove heat from the engine bay on a road car is to vent the whole bonnet, also where hot air gets out, water gets in.

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang FN V8 convertable
I have found the main difference with the Auto in the Convertible, is in normal mode it will jump every other gear until it hits about 7th gear. I find normal mode pretty smooth, but I've now got 51K on my convertible.

As for using sport mode, on the shifter just remember the paddles will lock the car into "manual paddle mode" and won't change up unless you toggle the paddle. I find this also to be a pain as the shifting is pretty slow it's no where near instant to make this a practical driving option.

If you select sport + on the toggle switch then it will run through every gear and won't skip, this can be jerky around town - I find if having a bit of sporty fun especially on the open road around a nice twisty area then it's actually pretty good for me it changed down pretty well and placed the car into good power options at corner exit. Was pleasantly surprised nothing better that a spirited run in nice weather with the roof down and no one around on a great twisty road.

As for noise level's I find quiet is actually pretty quiet - while I wish Track would be a bit louder!!

Also line lock can add in a bit of extra fun - easy to unlock with Forescan and pretty simple to use just make sure there are no police around they can get a tad angry about fixing that problem of to much tread.

Have never had a heat problem opening the bonnet but mine is only opened really in the petrol station so that may be the difference.
Sponsored