Need help with switching out Recaros to std power bucket seats

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Ok...going to present this to see if anyone else has thought of doing this and how far have you got with it. Will share my experience so far and hope one of you has the answer to my question. I have the Recaros as I have the Track Pkg on my 16 350. I want to put in some standard cloth powered bucket seats I have. The Recaros are manual seats with only sensors for the air bags and shoulder harness in them. The wiring loom from the car to the seat is a direct fit for the power seats I want to install. BUT and its a BIG but...the 30amp power wire and ground wire are missing from the cars plug. Those wires go into 2 of the 4 larger corner fittings on the plug which are blocked off with some small removable green plugs to fill the holes. Now this is my question....does anyone KNOW for sure IF the power and ground wires are hidden in the loom thats in the car?? Can I strip back the loom covering and find them in there and simply plug them into the fitting that holds the sensor wires and hook up the seats so they would work? I know its a complicated thing but figured you guys know a lot about the car so figured this would be a good place to ask. Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
The Recaros are not powered so the wires to power the seat are not there obviously. You would have to wire it up.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
Jay Leno did this but not that it helps you any....

Molten Orange from NW Indiana
Yes he did. That where I got the idea from. But have had no luck getting any kind of phone number for the Big Dog Garage to see how they went about it.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
The Recaros are not powered so the wires to power the seat are not there obviously. You would have to wire it up.
Well I hear what you are saying. Although I have a hard time thinking FORD would make up all kinds of wiring looms for cars with power seats vs no power. They might who knows?? I would think that they might make them up very similar and just a slight change on the assembly line to tuck the power and ground away with caps over the ends. I know I can run a wire from the fuse box to the seat but was wanting to avoid doing that IF it was in the loom already. Actually running the wires to both seats would be kind of a big job. Just trying to do it the simplest way.:amen:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think Leno just put in some base GT (manually adjusted) seats.
Those still have the power forward/aft adjustment on them.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Well I hear what you are saying. Although I have a hard time thinking FORD would make up all kinds of wiring looms for cars with power seats vs no power. They might who knows?? I would think that they might make them up very similar and just a slight change on the assembly line to tuck the power and ground away with caps over the ends. I know I can run a wire from the fuse box to the seat but was wanting to avoid doing that IF it was in the loom already. Actually running the wires to both seats would be kind of a big job. Just trying to do it the simplest way.:amen:
To save money, wire and weight, the Mustang likely has more wiring harness options than you could believe. For my C6, there were 145 different combinations!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To save money, wire and weight, the Mustang likely has more wiring harness options than you could believe. For my C6, there were 145 different combinations!
Agreed. With how much volume they have for the various trims, they already have plenty of leverage to drive multiple designs. Doesn't make a ton of sense to give away free wire, then pay expensive UAW labor to cut and tuck a 30a hot lead.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
One of the reasons cars come with electronics PACKAGES is because they put different harnesses in the vehicle partially because copper is so f'ing expensive. Having taken apart a lot of cars for stereo work, the only cars I've found that have "extra wires" are trucks and that has to do with a tow package that they did not have in the car but the first stage of power wires (close to fuse box) are sometimes present, just not the harness that goes to the back of the truck. That and older cars, especially GMs. The only way to find out for sure is to research the harness part number for a car that would have come with these seats and see if it is different than your own part number, and likely that will not give away the info you want.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
If you can take a look at the electrical service manual at the dealer, you might be able to find the wiring run for a vehicle that has the Tech Package seats. I'm also guessing the run will be similar to that of a GT with the Premium Package, if no GT 350 manual is available. Then you can run new wires from an unused spot on your fuse block to the under-seat areas.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
If you can take a look at the electrical service manual at the dealer, you might be able to find the wiring run for a vehicle that has the Tech Package seats. I'm also guessing the run will be similar to that of a GT with the Premium Package, if no GT 350 manual is available. Then you can run new wires from an unused spot on your fuse block to the under-seat areas.
Thanks to all...some very good comments and suggestions. Good idea to check with the local dealer and see about the wiring harness part number for each seat option. The fuse box in my car has the terminals and fuses in place for the power seats...but probably doesn't have the wiring exiting the fuse box. I was trying to alleviate having to unbolt the whole fuse box to get a look at it and or run new wires from it to the plug under the seat.:(

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks to all...some very good comments and suggestions. Good idea to check with the local dealer and see about the wiring harness part number for each seat option. The fuse box in my car has the terminals and fuses in place for the power seats...but probably doesn't have the wiring exiting the fuse box. I was trying to alleviate having to unbolt the whole fuse box to get a look at it and or run new wires from it to the plug under the seat.:(
I think the hardest part is going to be sourcing the pins

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Go over to the GT350 limp mode thread. I am sure someone with a tech pack will trade u the harness for your transmission and coolers lol.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
I think the hardest part is going to be sourcing the pins
It's funny but a machinist friend says he has a catalog with all kinds of pins in it. He said most of the major car companies don't make their own pins but out source them. I haven't looked yet but will today a bit later when I'm at the shop. I think its going to come down to us having to run wires from the fuse box to each of the seats. At this point I don't see any way around it.:doh:
Sponsored