Sponsored

NC emissions testing and aftermarket headers

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I haven't ever put headers on a car, but I'm thinking about it with this one. The one thing that's holding me back is emissions testing in North Carolina. I'm not exactly sure what they test. I believe they plug something into the OBDII port, and they don't use a sniffer or anything. There may also be a visual inspection. Can someone with experience chime in here and let me know if headers will pass emissions and inspection in NC? I would likely get catted headers. Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

JeepN3RD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
That is my understanding, the OBDII port is plugged in and is looking for "codes." So assuming the headers incorporate all of the appropriate sensors, there should not be any codes? I think you will need to confirm that with the header folks / and you may have to get a custom tune of some sort, but as long as those sensors are reporting and the specs are all within set boundries (no codes) then you should be golden. I might would call Tindol Ford in Gastonia, they are the Roush dealer and install all sorts of aftermarket items and would be my first choice. (I am having them put on Roush Axle back for me soon!)

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I have passed emissions here with a bolt on G8 with headers numerous times, and my last Mustang had aftermarket high flow cats and tune and neither had issues passing. If you go catless then that becomes the issues.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks guys! After doing some more research, it looks like all that is done for emissions testing now is the OBD port. Is this taken care of in the tune, or will a car with catted headers pass on its own?
Sponsored