Sponsored

Nav screen lake display?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
All of my other automobile GPS units display roads but also streams/rivers and lakes. However, the NAV screen on my 2015 only displays roads and streams.

Are lakes simply not included on the NAV SD chip? Or do I have an option shut off?

Here in Minnesota it is disturbing to have the NAV screen display a 20 mile wide blank area surrounded by a highway. It's difficult to orient myself to the map display when such an important feature is missing.

For $100-150/yr, I would expect data better than what I am seeing.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Yep. All in the map data.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I could have SWORE I saw lakes on mine... maybe I am craycray though.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I am sure mine shows bodies of water.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Mine shows lakes. All the lakes around the area. Never any issues with bodies of water being displayed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If NAV does display lakes, does anyone know how to turn that display feature on? I know mine does not, at the present time. I just came back from a trip around Mille Lacs Lake. All my NAV showed was the highway that circles the lake but no lake...just a 20 mile diameter blank area. No other lakes are displayed but streams are shown.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I am sure mine shows bodies of water.
I had to check this morning to be sure. Not only does it show bodies of water it also tags them with their names.

It also shows golf courses, parks and named forest areas.

I was actually amazed how many ponds and lakes I drive by on my commute that I can't see from the road.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
If NAV does display lakes, does anyone know how to turn that display feature on? I know mine does not, at the present time. I just came back from a trip around Mille Lacs Lake. All my NAV showed was the highway that circles the lake but no lake...just a 20 mile diameter blank area. No other lakes are displayed but streams are shown.
A thought of randomness, but have you tried zooming in or out?

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I have mentioned through several threads...it appears that the non-lake display is a non-feature with the A6 SD chip! Not only will my 2015 not display lakes (at any zoom range), but neither would 4 other 2015s my dealer tried this morning using the new A6 chips. The system works okay for routing, destinations, but my salesperson said I may be the first person to actually notice that lakes weren't being displayed, but roads and streams were. Most people could care less about lakes but more interested in setting destinations, POIs, etc.

Update: From comments made...it appears that the '2014' A5 SD has lake/shoreline displays, but the 2015 A6 SD does not. If your A6 SD DOES display lakes, please comment. I am trying to find out why my A6 and others do not.

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
My 15 came with an A5 SD card. Strange that they would remove content.

Sponsored

n813ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine shows them as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've read a few of these threads and I'm not sure I'm understanding what the issue is, so apologies if this is of no use.

Mine came with an A6 card and this is what mine displays.
IMG_4458.JPG

(Sorry about the picture, my phone refuses to focus on that screen).

All lakes are drawn with their shoreline's intact.

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"drbrian722": My A6 card would show the same area roads, etc. but the blue lake shown would be displayed as a single blue dot with a name label. If true, your A6 SD card is the first one I know of that displays lake bodies. My A6 does not and neither does any of the A6 cards that my dealer tried. Nokia/HERE confirmed to me that the A6 does not display lakes bodies. So if yours does, you are very lucky. Nokia recently bought out HERE and there has been a lot of talk about the transition of products. So perhaps some versions of the A6 do display lakes and others do not.
I bought an A5 on eBay and it displays lake bodies...if I then replace it with the A6, the lake bodies disappear and only a blue dot is shown representing the lake.
The new Sync 3 NAV mapping is built into the hardware and any map updates will be downloadable via USB port, rather than having to buy a new SD card.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I got it to focus and confirmed the card.

20150618_205007221_iOS.jpg

20150618_204811440_iOS.jpg

I dug this out of the settings menus;
Navigation version 3.62.5
Ccpu version 4.32.14073
Map version A6

I also have this under software;
20150618_205204042_iOS.jpg

I don't know if any of this helps, but maybe there is something there.

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to talk to a tech at Ford MyTouch. They haven't had any one else complain about the lack of lake body display. He did check and found that my A6 SD card along with a bunch of other A6 cards shipped to my dealer were some of the first A6 cards produced. Nokia/HERE may have scrubbed the lake display to fit all of the update roads and POIs unto the cards. And then had been able to squeeze the lake displays onto a new run of cards. He is going to get back to me...sounded like they may send me a new A6 Card to see if that cures the problem. (My eBay purchased 2014 A5 Card works perfectly fine, it just doesn't have the new 2015 road/POI updates on it).
Sponsored