Sponsored

MY18: Who wants digital dash (yes or no)

Would you like digital dash in MY18?

• No: Keep cost low and give me analogue

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Yes: If it does not effect cost too much

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Yes: If premium for it is under £500

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Yes: Even if the cost add upto £1000

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is a very cool feature, but I do like current layout wit the big round binnacles, even if the typeface on the dials is a bit plain.
Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
It's like comparing an apple watch with an Omega. As for costing more, really??
I'm fine with reading dials... and clock faces
Very salient points when you think back to the digital revolution in, for example, watches back in the '80's and '90's thanks to the likes of Casio... but look in any jewellery shop window or on any website that sells watches now, and where are we?... back in the realm of the analogue/dial readout, with barely a digital display to be found, especially in the more premium brands...

Of course not everyone will agree... but I find digital displays appear cheap and tacky (just like the watches of the '80's and '90's ended up being), whereas analogue displays (and yes I know they're basically digitally controlled) maintain tradition and class... but maybe I'm just being a snob :shrug: !?!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The smart watches especially Apple have some of the most expensive watches on the market and they are digital. So agree with your other points but no sure on the watches point. Anyway I don't wear a watch, don't see the point from a practical (rather than fashionista!) point of view with a mobile phone, so what do i know!

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
It's a TFT screen and software. On balance, why would it cost any more than analogue anyway? :shrug:
Exactly. A digital cluster like this is significantly cheaper to produce than an analog one. Ford would never do this on a car like the Mustang if it were more expensive.

It's another great example of fancy looking stuff that in reality is just cost cutting. Like start buttons, capless gas fillers and blinker repeaters in side mirrors.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The smart watches especially Apple have some of the most expensive watches on the market and they are digital.
Using the words Apple and expensive in one sentence is a pleonasm :cheers:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The smart watches especially Apple have some of the most expensive watches on the market and they are digital. So agree with your other points but no sure on the watches point. Anyway I don't wear a watch, don't see the point from a practical (rather than fashionista!) point of view with a mobile phone, so what do i know!
If you're spending 15k on an apple watch then whomever you are you need a slap. Mind you, Digital 'tech' is a bit of a pain as eventually it becomes obsolete. Take a Phone, Apple Watch etc etc etc for example, they become dump after 2-3 years when software improves and needs 'new' hardware.
As for apples 'most expensive watch'. I'll take my Hublot and throw it in the bin, Enoch will take his Rolex's etc etc.

(P.S there's far more expensive watches on the market in each of Apples bands, and I'm not sure anyone who'd have 15k to drop on apples fake gold 'gold' Apple Watch, would do it without being clueless).

Anywayyyyyy I digress, yes, Digital will 'Get worse' with time, but only if Ford start pumping more strenuous software into the dash, which they wont, therefore, it's fine :).

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Very salient points when you think back to the digital revolution in, for example, watches back in the '80's and '90's thanks to the likes of Casio... but look in any jewellery shop window or on any website that sells watches now, and where are we?... back in the realm of the analogue/dial readout, with barely a digital display to be found, especially in the more premium brands...

Of course not everyone will agree... but I find digital displays appear cheap and tacky (just like the watches of the '80's and '90's ended up being), whereas analogue displays (and yes I know they're basically digitally controlled) maintain tradition and class... but maybe I'm just being a snob :shrug: !?!
The Digital were cool, the stars were wearing them, even 007 for one film had one, only even film no Omega or Rolex.
But as for class, 100% agree the analogue is way ahead, that is why its says "ground speed"
I liked it on the Supra but many did not, of course its not a patch on today's version, but it is just something that is different
As for watches, well talking about Apple I have a Fitbit as it even measures my heart rate, very good for watching the Arsenal :D
But I have always loved a classic watch. So I have my classic for the time, and the fitbit for my life !
and what i mean by that is: jogging, running, cycling, going up flights of stairs, steps.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. A digital cluster like this is significantly cheaper to produce than an analog one. Ford would never do this on a car like the Mustang if it were more expensive.

It's another great example of fancy looking stuff that in reality is just cost cutting. Like start buttons, capless gas fillers and blinker repeaters in side mirrors.
the indicators on the mirrors makes perfect sense, as by law over here you have to have them. And all the older imported Stangs had to have them fitted.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
If you're spending 15k on an apple watch then whomever you are you need a slap.
Anywayyyyyy I digress, yes, Digital will 'Get worse' with time, but only if Ford start pumping more strenuous software into the dash, which they wont, therefore, it's fine :).
but that depends who you are? People with enough money, to them its like £10
With enough money, you can control time
I mean if you are powerful enough, any shop will open for you, even at midnight, than end up giving you the items for free, as its great publicity
money makes money

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
but that depends who you are? People with enough money, to them its like £10
With enough money, you can control time
I mean if you are powerful enough, any shop will open for you, even at midnight, than end up giving you the items for free, as its great publicity
money makes money
yes, but in terms of why you'd buy a watch which only has a perceived value of 15k for it, rather than having anything actually worth money in it. Take diamond encrusted watches, watches with actual precious metals, tourbillons, etc etc etc list goes on - but they're worth money because they have actual expensive materials, the 15k gold I watch is a p1sss poor price, however stupid asshats will end up buying it.
I personally love a good watch, but I can't justify swapping one of my watches over for a smart watch (of any kind), let alone 15k of a fake gold one :doh:.

Who shops anymore, all about online ;)!

Sponsored

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
With recent advances in resolution, brightness, 3D and so on, a Digital dash (which bears no resemblance to those old LCD displays) can mimic an analogue one very well; plus the ability move the relevant information to the fore.
Most old watches were LCD; now with LED/OLED and E-Ink displays, there are almost unlimited possibilities (until it breaks... :p)

However, that all takes planning and more development than most companies are probably doing, and what is fresh today, is old hat tomorrow (in technology).

There was a very good PH thread recently about 10 year old cars that are obsolete by technology (think high-end Mercs from the mid-2000s); that's the problem there. Dials never get "old".

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
yes, but in terms of why you'd buy a watch which only has a perceived value of 15k for it, rather than having anything actually worth money in it. Take diamond encrusted watches, watches with actual precious metals, tourbillons, etc etc etc list goes on - but they're worth money because they have actual expensive materials, the 15k gold I watch is a p1sss poor price, however stupid asshats will end up buying it.
I personally love a good watch, but I can't justify swapping one of my watches over for a smart watch (of any kind), let alone 15k of a fake gold one :doh:.

Who shops anymore, all about online ;)!
Yes but Steve, to these people 15k is like 15 pound. would you pay £15?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but Steve, to these people 15k is like 15 pound. would you pay £15?
I've paid more than that for a watch, nor would I do it on a fucking crapple I shite watch :lol:

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
That is another caveat... think of how tech from the past (and with the acceleration in development now even the very recent past) looks so outdated now...

At one time these were considered futuristic and cutting edge...

Remember the Austin Maestro?

Maestro.jpg

And the Corvette?

Corvette.jpg

Edit: OK for those with a serious desire to be a modern day Hasselhoff :D !!!

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
my question is how low can you turn the brightness down? the center info screen is already too bright, even when interior lights are turned to lowest level. I can't imagine a stupid, bright LED screen in my face all night long will be pleasant. I'll never understand digital dashes.
Sponsored