Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The best way on a car is to drain it hot, wipe off the pan before you start, pull the plug and have your sample bottle ready. Once the initial surge stabilizes stick the bottle in there. Its a little messy, wear gloves :) Normally you can use a sample hose with the pump but the dipstick tube diameter is so small that you risk scraping the goo that collects in the tube. Then you pull that into the sample.

The Industrial units I work on have a Parker type test port which you screw a hose on while the unit is running to get a clean "as operated" sample. Of course the sample hose is cleaned and get in a sealed bag in between uses.

You could install a tee on your engine with a test port but it's getting a little too scientific for a street car that gets the fluids changed likely way more than needed.

I have actually taken a sample from a "clean" Mobil 1 bottle as a new comparison and had it come back with excess dirt. :headbonk: Keep in mind that all packaged oil once opened and sits around your garage can still collect contaminates. A good Lab will detect it. So now when I send in a control sample I use the new unopened oil that I'm putting in or if I change product I use an unopened bottle of the product I'm taking out.
This is exactly the same process I use on our customers equipment.
Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I changed my oil (dealer) for the first time at 1500 miles last April. Surprisingly last week I got a "Change Oil Soon" message on the dash at 4500 miles. I checked the level and it was close to the bottom of the dipstick. Had it changed at the dealer. Yesterday I took it in to have the vibrating shifter replaced under warranty. The mechanic noticed oil seeping from the drain plug so they ordered a new one and will change it again. He said the plug is pretty light duty and should probably be replaced at every change.

OP
OP
Mike02z

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I changed my oil (dealer) for the first time at 1500 miles last April. Surprisingly last week I got a "Change Oil Soon" message on the dash at 4500 miles. I checked the level and it was close to the bottom of the dipstick. Had it changed at the dealer. Yesterday I took it in to have the vibrating shifter replaced under warranty. The mechanic noticed oil seeping from the drain plug so they ordered a new one and will change it again. He said the plug is pretty light duty and should probably be replaced at every change.
The dealer simply forgot to reset your oil is the likely cause.

hacktracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Great info, thanks! I did an oil change at 700ish miles. I'll do another at 50% oil life and then have a sample analyzed at the 3rd change (which would be when the OLM suggests the first change).

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I always test my oil and send them to BlackStone in all of my cars. It's great to see how different oils affect wear metals and how their viscosity changes due to miles and track days. You can easily send a sample of oil for a Virgin Oil Analysis or Google the oil you want to see if there's already a VOA posted online.

I'm surprised there isn't a sticky or long thread on oil samples for the GT350 or even 5.0 Coyote.
Sponsored