My dealer wants inside my voodoo!!

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Haven't posted for a while regarding my oil consumption log however I keep track of every quart I use. Since 2017 when I was averaging a quart every 475 miles I am now using a quart every 439 miles.I am aware of the 500 mile/quart that ford is saying to be the normal limit. I am just wondering what you guys would do in my situation? I have an 8yr/80000km extended warranty and I am at 41000 km/3yrs into ownership. Would you get a consumption test done at which point they will probably want to replace the motor or wait and rack up some more mileage on the existing one before taking it in?
Sponsored

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I wouldn't wait.

I've owned mine nearly 2 years now and have used exactly 0 quarts of oil. I think you deserve the same quality engine I have.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Haven't posted for a while regarding my oil consumption log however I keep track of every quart I use. Since 2017 when I was averaging a quart every 475 miles I am now using a quart every 439 miles.I am aware of the 500 mile/quart that ford is saying to be the normal limit. I am just wondering what you guys would do in my situation? I have an 8yr/80000km extended warranty and I am at 41000 km/3yrs into ownership. Would you get a consumption test done at which point they will probably want to replace the motor or wait and rack up some more mileage on the existing one before taking it in?
From your posts, it seems your car is showing a consistent trend of using more and more oil as time goes on. I would take it to Ford and make them start an oil consumption test (your documentation of it doesn't mean a thing to them), and then decide if you want to live with the oil consumption or make Ford put a new engine in it/ try for a buyback. Ultimately boils down to how much effort and wait time you're willing to put into it, and what your end goal is.

You could always pull a @Tomster and rip her down for a rebuild yourself lol

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I wouldn't wait.

I've owned mine nearly 2 years now and have used exactly 0 quarts of oil. I think you deserve the same quality engine I have.
Same here.

BKTorch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
I wouldn't wait.

Im close to 0 it seems. 2000 miles with the catch cans and found less than an 1/8 of a qt of oil in them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Guess my point is that the general consensus being that these engines will probably have a shorter life span than most, would I not be better off to use it longer as I heard they will re-start the warranty on a new engine ( or am I mistaken?)

BKTorch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
Guess my point is that the general consensus being that these engines will probably have a shorter life span than most, would I not be better off to use it longer as I heard they will re-start the warranty on a new engine ( or am I mistaken?)
With regards to the warranty i think you may be right. My motor threw the #7 rod at 7k rpm when it was at 2100 miles. New motor is sitting at 1400 miles and actually feels better than the old one. However, Im still waiting on my new shift knob because the dummy techs tore it up when they were dropping the trans/engine.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
From your posts, it seems your car is showing a consistent trend of using more and more oil as time goes on. I would take it to Ford and make them start an oil consumption test (your documentation of it doesn't mean a thing to them), and then decide if you want to live with the oil consumption or make Ford put a new engine in it/ try for a buyback. Ultimately boils down to how much effort and wait time you're willing to put into it, and what your end goal is.

You could always pull a @Tomster and rip her down for a rebuild yourself lol
That was @honeybadger

However, if I had a car that consumed excessive oil (which I don't), I would find out why and have it repaired out of pocket for a numbers matching concern. I'm looking for a spare voodoo BTW

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Wouldn't it be interesting if the builders names were added to the information on the engines on the engines that are consuming oil and see if there is a trend. Might work, might not. Just a thought.

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If someone started a new threat on builders names and whether the engine used oil or not, I'd contribute. Might be interesting to see if certain builders just more commonly produced a better engine or not.
Sponsored