Sponsored

Mustang Winter Hibernation

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ok I know it's still Summer...well kinda, but as my car is for summer and weekend use only i'm starting to think about what to do plan wise for the winter months, I've never had a car that I won't be driving in the winter time so i'm not sure what the best things are to do to prepare, do I just dump it in the garage and leave it? I'm sure other may be wondering the same and i'm hoping some of you guys have already done this with cars in the past and maybe able to help some of us out with advice.
Sponsored

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If I had Something like an E type Jag, then yes I would hibernate it, but not a Ford.

When I was on RS forum, people used to do the same, it's just a focus

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Being a modern car I'm sure it will be ok to just throw it in the garage and leave it be, maybe start it up every month or so, go for a quick drive for peace of mind.

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To some yes....it's just a Ford, but I won't be using the car over winter anyway so whether it's a Ford or a ÂŁ2 million pound Jag it's still going to be laid up over winter.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Put it away dry (not wet!)

Leave the windows down.

Consider a trickle charger (if you really arent going to use it).

Full tank of petrol

Drive it once per month to rotate the tyres and let it get fully warm.

Starting it and leaving it to idle to warm in the garage does it no good, IMO. If you start it, drive it.

Ps. Get it undersealed, buy a set of all-season or winter tyres and enjoy it! There is no need to hide these cars away in the winter.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If you've got power in your garage, buy yourself a CTEK battery tender:

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en

This will keep your battery in tip top condition (it's designed NOT to overcharge the battery). You could just disconnect the battery, but this becomes a faff when you do want to take it for a spin.

Ideally, still take the car out if the roads are dry and free from salt......you'll be surprised how many days you'll get like this over the winter! My S197 is a garage queen, but she still comes out during the winter if the roads are clean.

The important thing is, if you do start it up, let it get up to full operating temperature. This can take a good 15/20 mins if you're just idling in the garage. This will ensure any moisture is burned in the exhaust......and should also ensure the fluids are kept moving.

Two other tips......if you really are leaving the car untouched for month, over inflate the tyres to prevent flat spots, and brim the fuel tank to prevent moisture getting in there.

Oh, and leave the handbrake off and the car in gear (or park, if it's an auto). Otherwise you may find the pads stick to the disks!

:)

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
If you're not intending to drive it at all, put it up on axle stands or you're likely to come back to it in 4-5 months time on flat tyres, or at the least with a well developed 'flat' spot where it's been static on the tyres in the same position for such a period of time.

Also, leave the handbrake off to prevent it seizing (especially if it's not a heated garage).

Leaving a dehumidifier bag in the car is an alternative option to leaving the windows (slightly) open, especially if you have a good selection creepy crawly things or mice in the garage, and hooking it up to a trickle charger is also a good idea - modern cars have power management but don't tend to like it when the charge drops so low that even that struggles to function.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Most of my "special" cars only get summer use, so I'm very familiar with storing them for the winter......

My method is..

Give the car a good wash and polish
Go for a short drive to ensure brakes etc are all dry
Make sure there is at least 3/4 tank of fuel
Pump up tyres to around 50psi
Connect to battery conditioner
Leave handbrake off
Put on car cover.

Walk away.....
Unlike some of the other recommendations, I never ever start the car and run it, until I'm ready to use it again.. I firmly believe this isn't necessary, but accept that other folk think it's a good thing..... I believe it does more harm than good..

The longest period I've left a car was almost a year (the year of hell) when I was very ill and couldn't do anything car related:mad::(.... Even after all that crap once I was better, I just turned the key, and the car started fine:)

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Mine turned up the second week of January and I used it non stop throughout the winter even on the OE Pirellis.

It was fine.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Mine turned up the second week of January and I used it non stop throughout the winter even on the OE Pirellis.

It was fine.
I'm sure any modern car is easily capable of getting through a UK winter:)...

The only reasons I store are that, I don't need to use my nice car in the crap weather, the wife has a Grand Cherokee, and we share our little Yaris... (14 years old and 24k on the clock) and 50mpg all day long:thumbsup:

I'm on limited mileage (8k).... So might as well save them for the nicer weather....he says living in hope:lol:

Sponsored

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
My GT (when it comes) will be our only car so winter preparation will consist of a set of winter tyres - and me watching the underseal thread as I have concerns about Scottish salty roads on the undersides of the car :(

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So this is all excellent advice but now some real world experience....

My 51 year old '65 spends winter (late October through April typically - winter means salt on the road or raining) in the garage. I do absolutely nothing to it. In spring. once the salt is all gone, I just pump the tires and it starts right on. Granted, it doesn't have anything on board that would have discharge the battery but all the other suggested things to do for a brand new, produced in millions, modern car sort of make me laugh.

OP - if you really don't want to drive it, just store it. Worst thing is you'll have to charge the battery. Isn't winter in UK relatively mild ? How long will you keep it stored ? Month ? Two ? I am sometimes away from home on business for 3 weeks at the time and car is completely fine.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mines a daily, it'll be driven in the winter regardless :)
[MENTION=6364]Twin Turbo[/MENTION] is your man for keeping a mustang in a garage for long periods of time ;) He's the master of it!!!

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Interesting advice - I would never have thought of filling the petrol tank for example (to reduce water condensation).

Other than the unsuitable stock tyres, what's the huge downside to driving this particular car in winter?

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Mines a daily, it'll be driven in the winter regardless :)
@Twin Turbo is your man for keeping a mustang in a garage for long periods of time ;) He's the master of it!!!

Yes TT is well known on the MOCOGB :D
Sponsored