Sponsored

Mustang RS

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
SVO wasnt a name it was a team. like SVT. the team isnt around.. I mean they could assemble a team and just call it SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) but i dont see that happening.
Yes, I understand that, but the car was named after the group that built it. It was called the Mustang SVO, not Mustang-built by SVO...

If you were spec'ing out a Mustang back in '84-'86 you had the choice between the LX, GT and SVO. That made it a trim level.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yes, I understand that, but the car was named after the group that built it. It was called the Mustang SVO, not Mustang-built by SVO...

If you were spec'ing out a Mustang back in '84-'86 you had the choice between the LX, GT and SVO. That made it a trim level.
ya i edited it, i saw they actually called it that.. either way not my main point.. they dont want to compete with price and/or performance of a GT too much.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Hmm, some of you don't seem to remember the OG SVO was 50% MORE EXPENSIVE than the GT. This was ~$5k differential in price. No thank you.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i just dont see someone wanting to pay 40-45k for a modded ecoboost. I would think at that price people will be expecting a v8

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The difference between the Focus RS and the Ecoboost Mustang is that stupid "overboost" function. Instead, they should have just added more power. What a waste.
I'm sure that Ford is going with the overboost function because it's a way they can squeeze a bit more max power (and increase those numbers for marketing) with very little investment (I'm not sure how it works, but it's probably just a programming change I assume?). It would be nice if they put a slightly hotter overall tune in there, but that would negate sales of the Ford Performance tune, and I'm sure their warranty department would be a bit wary of that (not to mention, they don't want to creep too close to GT power & torque figures).

As for anything beyond that, it would be great if they could do a dual port & direct injection setup like with the new Coyote and new twin-turbo V6 truck engine, but obviously that (or any other hard part modifications) would cost significant money, and my guess is Ford wants to milk the current 2.3L turbo design until they debut the S550's replacement in 2021.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Guys, overboost functions give you the power you want while keeping fuel economy in check during the part-throttle drives the EPA does. JFC.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
“We limit peak turbo boost to maintain a wide margin of safety and durability over the life of the car,” Schoder adds. “But overboost is cool in that it tweaks more acceleration through the turbo for brief periods for performance-hungry drivers.”
Sponsored