Sponsored

Mustang (& Others) Photos and Videos from 2014 Detroit Auto Show

DrProctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I wish they had the vert down off the platform so that we could get a good look at the interior a little better...
Sponsored

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Unfortunately no. The commoners such as myself had to stay off the platform :)

What did you think of the interior color of the magnetic car?
I was able to sweet talk the girl at the booth into letting me briefly sit in the gray convertible. I pushed and prodded every button on the dash, and checked out the interior materials to get a feeling of how well this car is put together. Here are my impressions of the interior:

The good:
* The brown leather seats look even better in person, they're a darker shade than the current brown interior (more coffee than tan) They feel soft and fantastic.
* Steering wheel is about the same size and looks and feels much the same as the one on the current Mustang
* The metallic finish on the dash seems to be a real metal overlay, it was cold to the touch like I'd expect metal to be. It has a fingerprint resistant satin finish.
* Turn signal stalk actuates with nice firm clicks, with no looseness or slack in the action.
* The row of toggle switches at the bottom of the dash are my favorite feature of the interior. They look great and have a nice firm feel.
* Plenty of leg and shoulder room (I'm only 5'7" and 150 lb though, even my Solstice has plenty of room as far as I'm concerned!)

The bad:
* Interior plastics still feel very similar to the current Mustang, with a mixture of hard plastics and soft touch surfaces

The ugly:
* The speedometer has the text 'Ground Speed MPH', which in my opinion just looks stupid.

Another criticism I have is that the car has very pronounced front and rear overhangs. Why couldn't they have proportioned it better by lengthening the wheelbase or something?

Anyway, on the whole I love the car. I'm not sure what pricing is going to be like, but if I can get a GT Premium with the track pack for less than $34k, I'm sold! Make mine victory red with the brown leather please :-)

RedRex06

Threads
Reaction score
That's a helluva first post, Abie! Sounds like alot of good stuff in the interior; the "ground speed MPH" is, from what I've heard, a reference to the P-51. I can never remember what the P-51 has to do with the mustang, I think its name, but there it is. :thumbsup:

GTsquid

I was able to sweet talk the girl at the booth into letting me briefly sit in the gray convertible. I pushed and prodded every button on the dash, and checked out the interior materials to get a feeling of how well this car is put together. Here are my impressions of the interior:

The good:
* The brown leather seats look even better in person, they're a darker shade than the current brown interior (more coffee than tan) They feel soft and fantastic.
* Steering wheel is about the same size and looks and feels much the same as the one on the current Mustang
* The metallic finish on the dash seems to be a real metal overlay, it was cold to the touch like I'd expect metal to be. It has a fingerprint resistant satin finish.
* Turn signal stalk actuates with nice firm clicks, with no looseness or slack in the action.
* The row of toggle switches at the bottom of the dash are my favorite feature of the interior. They look great and have a nice firm feel.
* Plenty of leg and shoulder room (I'm only 5'7" and 150 lb though, even my Solstice has plenty of room as far as I'm concerned!)

The bad:
* Interior plastics still feel very similar to the current Mustang, with a mixture of hard plastics and soft touch surfaces

The ugly:
* The speedometer has the text 'Ground Speed MPH', which in my opinion just looks stupid.

Another criticism I have is that the car has very pronounced front and rear overhangs. Why couldn't they have proportioned it better by lengthening the wheelbase or something?

Anyway, on the whole I love the car. I'm not sure what pricing is going to be like, but if I can get a GT Premium with the track pack for less than $34k, I'm sold! Make mine victory red with the brown leather please :-)
I believe they said the steering wheel is actually a little smaller than the current one but maybe not small enough to be noticeable? It does seem like they fattened it a little around the 2 and 10 positions.

Anyway thanks for the writeup. I'd be interested in getting the impressions of everyone that's seen the car so far. I know we have a few on here that have.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Thanks RedRex! I've actually been lurking here for several months now and thought I'd pipe up.

GTsquid, I've only driven the current Mustang on a few occasions, so maybe that's why the wheel didn't feel different to me. Someone like you who drives one on a regular basis might notice it right away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I was able to sweet talk the girl at the booth into letting me briefly sit in the gray convertible. I pushed and prodded every button on the dash, and checked out the interior materials to get a feeling of how well this car is put together.
Cool!

Ihe good:
That definitely was my immediate first impression. This brown (and I am generally not a fan of that color) looked nicely color matched. "Coffee" is a good way to describe it; light roast of course!

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
...I can never remember what the P-51 has to do with the mustang, I think its name, but there it is. :thumbsup:
Similarly, I have difficulty relating the vehicle name Suburu to 'The Sisters' star cluster aka 'The Pleiades'. :shrug:

RBH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Similarly, I have difficulty relating the vehicle name Suburu to 'The Sisters' star cluster aka 'The Pleiades'. :shrug:
You probably know this but Subaru is just the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster.

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
You probably know this but Subaru is just the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster.
Yes, as my inquiry suggests I'm aware of that but why name a vehicle after a star cluster? But on the other hand, why name a Ford after a WW II fighter...or a fish, or a snake, or a...? Oh well, forget it...Ford also had a Comet to keep The Pleiades company in the universe.
Sponsored