Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I think you need to take into account that we're in a transitional period. People (especially many Mustang enthusiasts) still want their internal combustion engines, but we obviously need to transition to electric drivetrains for environmental and fuel supply reasons. I would favor going fully electric over the hybrid approach (even though that means I'll probably lose my manual transmission), but I suppose this is Ford's way of easing the enthusiast crowd into electric power.

Due to this transitional period, I think we're going to see a lot of vehicles offered with both ICE and electric or hybrid powertrains over the next 5-10 years. It is what it is. And Ford can probably afford to offer these varied options on the Mustang since they sell so many.
:lol::lol:
Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
:lol::lol:
So what I said was funny? You do realize that we've been doing massive amounts of damage to the environment, right? Also, you do realize that there is a finite amount of oil, correct?

I love the sound of a V8 and I love rowing my own gears as much as the next guy, but if you think the future of transportation isn't electric than you have your head in the sand. Peace.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Make sure that you're applying the boldfaced thought in an even-handed manner. Just because a certain belief is held by "the masses" does not mean that that same belief must be held by any given individual, either. Like a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways.
I never suggested that it was. My attempt here is to only explain to those that are stating that a hybrid mustang is a terrible idea, something no one wants, the death of the V8, etc etc etc how decision making at a large organization happens, and the factors being considered. There is a lot of misinformation, speculation and knee jerk reactions in this thread. Pre-mature at best some even down right ignorant.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
In like 15 years all cars will be electric or something. Electric Dodge Challenger, Toyota Corolla, Buick Regal, Chevy Camaro, Honda Civic, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX7, Mitsubishi Galant, Honda Prelude/CRX, Dodge Charger, Toyota Previa, Ford Probe, Plymouth Barracuda.....Model T.

When we are all electrified. A Mustang is still going to be a Mustang as long as it is still being produced as a performance car.

Kapeesh?

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So what I said was funny? You do realize that we've been doing massive amounts of damage to the environment, right? Also, you do realize that there is a finite amount of oil, correct?

I love the sound of a V8 and I love rowing my own gears as much as the next guy, but if you think the future of transportation isn't electric than you have your head in the sand. Peace.
I'm just wondering how impactful to the environment the mining of rare earth minerals is. Like carbon-based fuels, there is a finite supply of them, too. As an aside, I believe I read that Honda had developed a battery devoid of any China-sourced minerals, which is definitely encouraging.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So what I said was funny? You do realize that there is a finite amount of oil, correct?
There is a finite amount of everything. Even solar power; the sun won't last forever. The fact that something won't last forever is no reason to waste it. Should we stop using solar and focus on what we will use after the sun is gone?

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
There is a finite amount of everything. Even solar power; the sun won't last forever. The fact that something won't last forever is no reason to waste it. Should we stop using solar and focus on what we will use after the sun is gone?
Do you think we need to plan for the sun burning out?

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Some people need to take a look at the pollution generated by the entire worlds population other than America before they start running their stupid mouths about our ICE Mustangs.

Or the low volume of mustangs and how many of them don't go anywhere. Only have 5K on my 14 and 80ishK on my 86. There are plenty with very low mileage for their age.

If one really wants to start talking envr damage, how big is your McMansion and why is there no mandated maximum allowable YPG (or BTU/KWH, ect...) usage allowed for every house?

If I keep my heat @ 58 during the day (I do), can I use part of my overall carbon credit per person allowance for my ICE's? (oh thats right, the gov't is only hammering cars to death to eliminate choice, all the others ways we supposedly create environmental damage, by excessively using FF's, are just fine).

Then let the electrics stand on there own if you are so sure that is what everyone wants.
Of course a market will go where you force it, when you have 100% of the power to do just that.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Once the sun is done, it's game over for the sol system.

But realistically from a National Security standpoint and Eviromental, fossils fuels are a risk. The sooner we get away from them the better.

Then we can use oil for more useful things like polymers.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When we are all electrified. A Mustang is still going to be a Mustang as long as it is still being produced as a performance car.
It wouldn't be the same and it wouldn't drive the same.

So you might as well name it something else, retire the 'Mustang' name, and be done with it. Find a name more relevant to electrified drive than reminiscent of such past-century historical curiosities as horses and WWII piston-powered warplanes.

Norm

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

your ignorance is showing. You have no idea what we need. Cars arent whats doing the massive damage. So no, we dont need any hybrids. If you were so concerned, those hybrid cause more pollution to make than to drive a v8 or any other non hybrid. More pollution comes from methane gas from cows farts because we have more cows inhabiting the earth than was ever intended. Current beef and dairy consumption is out of control. However the EPA would rather keep your focus on cars because the food industry is their bread and butter not automotive. Its their slight of hand game that has fooled the masses. Agricultural is the smoking gun, not automotive

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm just wondering how impactful to the environment the mining of rare earth minerals is. Like carbon-based fuels, there is a finite supply of them, too. As an aside, I believe I read that Honda had developed a battery devoid of any China-sourced minerals, which is definitely encouraging.
This ↑↑↑

And anybody who thinks there can be no adverse global consequences to the level of solar and wind power generation required to supply all these electric cars in lieu of fossil fuels might do well to think on it some more.

Norm

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
All these calls to retire the Mustang name is utterly asinine and selfish. If you don't like the changes, don't buy it. Wanting future owners to not have a Mustang because it doesn't fit your idea of what a true "Mustang" is petulant, immature and selfish.

Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.