Sponsored

Mustang GT4 [ ford parts dept ] and Ford GT race results. Daytona.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
[MENTION=9562]TNcoupe[/MENTION] That was one of the most miserably cold, wet...raw times I have ever been through there. I did sleep like a baby in my reclined Recaro from 2AM to 6AM. I ran out of clothes to put on and at one point resorted to wear my driving gloves to keep warm. The crews and teams were all miserable. Corner workers froze their asses off.

The rain tires wouldn't work because the track was so cold, the tires would not come up to temp so everyone was the grass in T3. The drivers were being told to drive faster. The aero dependent P cars had it the worst, no weight, no speed so no downforce. Tires that were dead cold. They struggled trying to get the release agent of the tires so the drivers were just waiting to crash.

The Production classes were a little better off, but still a handful. The P cars were using a lot of brake to try to radiate heat to the tires but the track temps were only in the 50's so this was likely one of the longest 24's for most of the teams.

Usually the rains come off destroyed but all the tires(except one) I saw were like new which means they didn't do much.

I did speak to Dave P in the pits and when I mentioned how impressive the operation was his response was "We are Committed" so if they do not get BOP'd to death expect all 4 cars to be fighting for podiums at every race.

Ford and Corvette/Cadillac had all the top tier execs behind pit wall for most of the race. If anyone doesn't think that Ford and GM are dead set on beating each other and everyone else you can not be any more wrong. When you see the the principals that run these companies all 24 hours talking and joking around (I assume trash talking each other) in the cold and rain the products we can buy reflect that.

I showed Dave a picture of my car( this was around midnight, cold, rainy, he pulled me into the Ford Pit Tent to talk to me) running at Daytona and he lit up, I thanked him for designing such an awesome capable car out of the box. He genuinely get's excited about the products. He seemed extremely happy with the GT4 Mustang's first real test on Friday.

The amount of factory racing support today parallels Corvette Racing at a minimum. The amount of people staring at data, spares etc. is overwhelming.

That said I did my 24, next year i'm going back to my previous method of being at the track from 9PM-3AM if Florida continues to decide to 'winter' for this race again.

I am extremely happy for my two Karting Buddies to finally get their watches running for Dad.
I think it's funny when people from the south complain about being cold.
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] thats pretty sweet. I didnt venture off into the pit area/ garage area too much this year. Attendance was insane this year and the pile of people standing at #10 garage waiting for Gordon to come out was just dumb. I did manage to get my Ford GT print signed by all the drivers of all 4 cars.
This is bad ass! Nice score!
She needs framed.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Cold weather is stupid. No reason for it except for killing our pterodactyl size misquitos.
Lmao. Tell me. I live in Michigan. You don't know how good you have it. This winter has been fair, but last few years we had some -20f days.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
[MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] thats pretty sweet. I didnt venture off into the pit area/ garage area too much this year. Attendance was insane this year and the pile of people standing at #10 garage waiting for Gordon to come out was just dumb. I did manage to get my Ford GT print signed by all the drivers of all 4 cars.
NICE! I didn't even get to say hi to the Taylor's at the Roar or the 24 because of the crowds for Jeff. Same thing happened when Dempsey raced. But it brings new fans to the sport which is what US Sportscar racing needs.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I think it's funny when people from the south complain about being cold.
120" of snow in Massachusetts the year before I moved to FLA. Why I moved to FLA. 40+ years of growing up in NE was starting to get old. :cheers:

OP
OP
5.0 435

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
It was great to see all the displays that The car manufacturers had. The most I've ever seen @ Daytona. That is what the sport needs to draw in more fans young and old. The crowds did seem larger then years past. The Mustang GT4 sounded really good and strong. Hope Ford sells a bunch and expect to see more in the conti series.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Thanks for all the accounts of the race that you all attended. I have to add this to my to-do list over the next 2 years. Maybe 2018 when I plan to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed. That would be an epic, first six months of the new year.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I was do happy to see the #66 gt win, was hoping for a 123 but 1 is still great. Anyone know how the mustangs did?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I was do happy to see the #66 gt win, was hoping for a 123 but 1 is still great. Anyone know how the mustangs did?
Well the finish doesn't really tell the story on the Mustangs. First of all it was very clear the Mustangs were definitely the fastest and dominant cars in that race. WIth 27 minutes left, Maxwell in the Multimatic #15 was holding 1rst easily. During the race, he was assessed 2 pit drive through penalties. The first was for speeding +5mph on pit road, the second because his wheels spun while on the jacks. Later he explained he was still adjusting to the paddle shifters. The 2 Mustangs both posted the race's fastest lap times.

Final result was the #15 finished 5th. He came out of the pits from his penalty dropped from 1rst to 9th place and in just 2 laps advanced to 5th. The other GT4 had problems with the half shaft but was able to finish the race.

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I agree with you that the Mustang should also run in the Daytona GT class or GTD. The current Ford GT could still run in the GTLM which is one step up. It's fords decision. How many people see the Ford GT and say yeah I'm going to get one. I'm not sure people identify with it like they do a mustang.
The current coni race is second fiddle to the weather tech championship race.
One last question where the hell is the great Camaro been lately ?
Remember the original 65 mustang Gt350 ran against corvettes and beat than in prod B. Ford wanted to improve the mustang image as a performance car. That's why Ford gave Shelby $25k.... "before he bites someone" his words back then.
I told Raj Nair back at the Monterey Historics they should build Mustang GT3 and GT4 race cars to race world wide. (That was before they announced that GS was going to GT4) Well he listened, and they've done half already. Maybe we will see a Shelby GT350-GT3 soon, to go with the Mustang GT4 we already have? :headbang:

I wish they'd build something to compete against Corvette that those of us making less than 8 figures could afford. 500 or so a year $400K Ford GTs are not the ticket. They are Super Cars. We need a Ford 2 seater sports car, for under $100K! I guess I should have told Raj that too. :lol:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I agree. Ford needs an affordable Corvette killer. They should of never fked up the thunderbirds. Should of kept them a 2 seat car and evolved them into a sports car. Not a freaking family car.
Thunderbirds killed the Corvette in the 50s.

OP
OP
5.0 435

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
When the mid-engine corvettes comes out in 2019 what will ford do ? You are right Ford needs a $$100/$145k corvette killer. Not a $450K ford GT. That car is soooo over priced all you have to do is look @ the market. Plus most of us weren't even given a chance to buy one.
Sponsored