Missed Wipe down spot with CQ Quartz

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
Just noticed a spot I missed polishing out with my ceramic coating which was applied 5 days ago so it is streaky. Not surprisingly it doesn't want to just buff off by hand. The spot is about twice the size of my hand with my fingers closed. What options do I have to clear it up so it matches the rest of the glowing car?
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Try a very light application of the coating over top of the area. That might level it out (some coatings that works, others it doesn’t). If you don’t want to chance it, take your polisher and polish that area out and reapply the coating. The polish and polisher will remove the coating in that section as if it were never there.

OP
OP
ajsfirehawk

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Mags, I appreciate it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Mags, I appreciate it.
I know that's a bitch, and would make me nuts, had I done the same. But that is the very reason I stay away from the sealer & ceramic type top coats.

Everyone should read your post, it is one of those unspoken instances.

They may last a little longer and to my surprise. Reading it is not all that much considering the length of time for prep, and the application.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ajsfirehawk

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Been battling a bitch of a virus so just got around to addressing the ceramic coat spot I failed to wipe clear. A couple minutes of buffing with CarPro Reflect and it came right off. Then I redid the CQ Quartz and viola! Took longer to pull out the cords, the microfibers/kit and put it back then it did to fix it.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
DFB how do you say?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A little bit of background from me in regard to paint protection. Up until recently, I was more than happy with waxes and polymer sealants. That doesn't mean I was not anti-ceramic coating, just that waxes served my needs so well and I enjoyed the regular nature of preparing and applying them too.

The prospect of high spots put me off ceramic coatings for a very long time. But, I felt it was time to learn a new skill after a lot of research, reading and viewing, I have now applied a number of ceramic coatings to paint, trim, wheels and glass. Thankfully, I did not leave any high spots, mainly because I was hyper aware of them and made sure I was extremely thorough.

As the OP has discovered, a high spot is easily dealt with by either applying some more product over the spot and buffing clear or via a spot polish and recoat. The reality is, high spots are small, localized spots, it's not like you have an entire hood to re-polish. And no, you do not need to "sand" off a ceramic coating high spot. Nor do you need to do so when removing an older coating in preparation for a new coating.

High spots are not limited to ceramic coatings. I couldn't begin count the number of times I have left a high spot from a wax or got wax residue stuck between a panel. The difference with a wax or sealant is that these are easily removed with further buffing or with an APC, IPA spray or quick detailer. What is not easily removed is wax and polish residue from unpainted black plastic and rubber trim. That requires strong degreasers or high alkaline detergents to remove. A ceramic coating or even a ceramic spray sealant won't do this to these materials.

Where I'm going with that is each and every product you use on your car will have a pro and a con. Be that soaps, glass cleaners, APC, wheel cleaners, bug removers, tar removers, wax, sealants or ceramic coatings. To write off any particular product because of fear or a lack of knowledge is foolish. I'm not saying there is anything wrong using any of the above, and if you enjoy what you are using and getting the results you want, then that's fantastic. What I am saying is to keep an open mind and choose products that suit your needs. Yes, you can leave high spots when applying a ceramic coating, but that minor drawback is well and truly balanced by the benefits one brings to the table.
Sponsored