Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought a cheap 100 euro gas lawn mower when I moved to Europe 3 years ago. Nothing special simple push mower with no assist features.

So in the Spring time it came to first mow after the winter. I pulled out the lawn mower and started cutting, but after about a third of the way the mower just puttered out like it was out of gas. I check the tank and there was plenty of gas. Not knowing much and never doing my own maintenance I was left in a dilemma. I could A) buy a new 100 euro mower or B) pay someone around 100 euro to fix the old one.

I took C) and watched a couple of videos on YouTube to see the take apart and clean a few brass pieces.

Well plan C) worked and I finished the lawn a few times since no problem.

This weekend gave me another opportunity to kill my mower. I was cutting near so bushes when I heard a terrible sound coming from the engine and I immediately turned off the mower. This sounded like medal on medal. I looked down to see oil pooled up on the mower itself. I looked it over to see that the oil fill pipe had come apart.

I feared that I just killed my mower and I now would have to buy another. So I did what anyone else would do. I reattached the oil fill pipe and filled the mower with the only motor oil I had laying around...5w-50 left over from my BMW.

I was able to finish the lawn and put away the mower. At this time my only hope is to keep this thing going through next summer's move.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
So I bought a cheap 100 euro gas lawn mower when I moved to Europe 3 years ago. Nothing special simple push mower with no assist features.

So in the Spring time it came to first mow after the winter. I pulled out the lawn mower and started cutting, but after about a third of the way the mower just puttered out like it was out of gas. I check the tank and there was plenty of gas. Not knowing much and never doing my own maintenance I was left in a dilemma. I could A) buy a new 100 euro mower or B) pay someone around 100 euro to fix the old one.

I took C) and watched a couple of videos on YouTube to see the take apart and clean a few brass pieces.

Well plan C) worked and I finished the lawn a few times since no problem.

This weekend gave me another opportunity to kill my mower. I was cutting near so bushes when I heard a terrible sound coming from the engine and I immediately turned off the mower. This sounded like medal on medal. I looked down to see oil pooled up on the mower itself. I looked it over to see that the oil fill pipe had come apart.

I feared that I just killed my mower and I now would have to buy another. So I did what anyone else would do. I reattached the oil fill pipe and filled the mower with the only motor oil I had laying around...5w-50 left over from my BMW.

I was able to finish the lawn and put away the mower. At this time my only hope is to keep this thing going through next summer's move.
I think you will have a hard time killing it since you keep saving it. You're doing great at it btw. I am a firm believer in fixing what's broke. Especially since we are currently in a generation of people wanting to buy something new every time something breaks.

Good on ya!

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Given that you catch it when it happens I'm sure you're fine and I use 5W-20 in my riding mower for years. They don't list a spec oil on it like the car does so I use what I have.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I used old oil from my cars that I strain the dirt out of in my mowers. They have been running like that for years. No problems. Stuff like that is usually very tolerant. It is a synthetic oil that I am reusing, and usually only has around 5K miles on it. I change the oil in my mowers about every 20 hours.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I feel that every time I go to cut the lawn from now on there will be something else. Hopefully something that I can watch a DIY Fix-it video just to keep this thing going. At the end, I'll have to figure out how to donate it for parts, since I just cant easily get rid of it like I can in the states. I'll try putting it out on the street with a Free Sign written in German on it. Or ask if the landlord will allow it to stay for the next tenant.
Sponsored