Sponsored

Mild exhaust (MF Street) upgrade worth it?

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I know I know, another post about exhaust, really?

But what I want to know is, those who have a mild exhaust upgrade like the Magnaflow Street, do you think it's worth it? Is it a noticable enough upgrade over stock? It's quite expensive to just change the sound slightly, without any change in volume.

I really really like the MBRP Race, but I think it'll be just way too loud. I track my car and they usually have decibel limits at like 95-105db so I will probably get flagged everytime with the Race exhaust.

I know there is a Street version of the MBRP, but I don't like that one it sounds way too buzzy imo, not like the Race. They claim it sounds the same but about 20% quiter, but in reality it doesn't sound the same. So my second best option would be the Magnaflow Street, but it doesn't rumble as much as the MBRP Race, it's rather subtle so I wonder if it's worth all the hassle of upgrading? I'm in Europe so it's not like I can just sell/return it and get another, I'll be importing so whatever I get will be the one.

I won't add a downpipe since that requires a tune and I'm not planning to tune. Also I have to be able to revert the exhaust back to stock every 2 years for inspections, so an Axle back isn't an option either.

If you have a Magnaflow Street installed, do you think it's a noticable enough upgrade over stock? Those who have the MBRP Race, is it too loud, more specifically louder than 100db (driving)?
Sponsored

alex9j4m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost
I don't have the MBRP, but as another guy who wanted a mild exhaust upgrade I went with AWE, it's worth checking out. Sound really kicks in around over 3/4k and no drone under that.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I don't have the MBRP, but as another guy who wanted a mild exhaust upgrade I went with AWE, it's worth checking out. Sound really kicks in around over 3/4k and no drone under that.
Heard it on youtube, sounds pretty sweet. But it's only available as an axle back right? My only option is a catback since I can't legally modify the exhaust system. I have to be able to swap back to stock for inspections.

Fibonacci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Walt I purchased and installed the Magnaflow Street catback on my 2019 two weeks ago and am really happy with it.
Tried a different vendors axle back and didnt like it, therefor took a chance on the Magnaflow cat back.
I would answer yes to all your questions, noticeable but not overwhelming change in tone and volume above 3k much better than stock.

I know I know, another post about exhaust, really?

But what I want to know is, those who have a mild exhaust upgrade like the Magnaflow Street, do you think it's worth it? Is it a noticable enough upgrade over stock? It's quite expensive to just change the sound slightly, without any change in volume.

I really really like the MBRP Race, but I think it'll be just way too loud. I track my car and they usually have decibel limits at like 95-105db so I will probably get flagged everytime with the Race exhaust.

I know there is a Street version of the MBRP, but I don't like that one it sounds way too buzzy imo, not like the Race. They claim it sounds the same but about 20% quiter, but in reality it doesn't sound the same. So my second best option would be the Magnaflow Street, but it doesn't rumble as much as the MBRP Race, it's rather subtle so I wonder if it's worth all the hassle of upgrading? I'm in Europe so it's not like I can just sell/return it and get another, I'll be importing so whatever I get will be the one.

I won't add a downpipe since that requires a tune and I'm not planning to tune. Also I have to be able to revert the exhaust back to stock every 2 years for inspections, so an Axle back isn't an option either.

If you have a Magnaflow Street installed, do you think it's a noticable enough upgrade over stock? Those who have the MBRP Race, is it too loud, more specifically louder than 100db (driving)?

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Walt I purchased and installed the Magnaflow Street catback on my 2019 two weeks ago and am really happy with it.
Tried a different vendors axle back and didnt like it, therefor took a chance on the Magnaflow cat back.
I would answer yes to all your questions, noticeable but not overwhelming change in tone and volume above 3k much better than stock.
Good to hear! What do you think of the tips? They look a little bit too big in my opinion, almost ricer looking. I haven't seen them irl though. I heard some people have problems with their reflectors melting because the tips are too close, did you have this issue?

Sponsored

Fibonacci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Good to hear! What do you think of the tips? They look a little bit too big in my opinion, almost ricer looking. I haven't seen them irl though. I heard some people have problems with their reflectors melting because the tips are too close, did you have this issue?
Sure,

One thing to keep in mind,feedback is subjective so what may be appealing to me may not work for you; that being said I was concerned about the tip size before receiving them because of feedback I read.
After the installation I found them to be great; like the looks of them, much better then stock.
Again like you had concerns about melting issues, guess you read some of the same threads,if the time is taken to make sure everything is tightened properly this should not be an issue.

Lastly if we let a little common sense prevail check every now and then to make sure they don't move over the course of time; so when you come up behind the vehicle to admire your baby take a peak.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
I love my MF Street. I only wish the tips were black instead of chrome. No melting issues.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I love my MF Street. I only wish the tips were black instead of chrome. No melting issues.
Yeah I agree I wish they were available with black tips too! Are they noticable louder than stock or more or less the same volume? Did you have to disable the fake noise amplifier to get rid of drone or is it fine without tampering with it?

As they are quite expensive, I'm wondering if it's really worth getting an exhaust for a not so good sounding engine. I've always wanted a better sounding car though, if I can get the exterior sound close to the "fake" sound you get in the interior I'd be satisfied.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I agree I wish they were available with black tips too! Are they noticable louder than stock or more or less the same volume? Did you have to disable the fake noise amplifier to get rid of drone or is it fine without tampering with it?

As they are quite expensive, I'm wondering if it's really worth getting an exhaust for a not so good sounding engine. I've always wanted a better sounding car though, if I can get the exterior sound close to the "fake" sound you get in the interior I'd be satisfied.
Definitely louder than stock, but in a good way. Deeper tone and no burble. Just a smooth, rich tone with no drone at speed. Coupled with the CVF catted DP it sounds pretty damned good!

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Definitely louder than stock, but in a good way. Deeper tone and no burble. Just a smooth, rich tone with no drone at speed. Coupled with the CVF catted DP it sounds pretty damned good!
Have you ran it with the stock downpipe before? How was it with the stock dp, still louder? I'm not planning on adding a downpipe since that'll require a tune. Are there still any pops after break in? I heard that you do get some pops when they are new but it unfortunately dissapears when it's broken in more. I'm looking for that deep sound with some subtle pops when lifting the throttle, much like the MBRP Race but without the obnoxious volume.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Have you ran it with the stock downpipe before? How was it with the stock dp, still louder? I'm not planning on adding a downpipe since that'll require a tune. Are there still any pops after break in? I heard that you do get some pops when they are new but it unfortunately dissapears when it's broken in more. I'm looking for that deep sound with some subtle pops when lifting the throttle, much like the MBRP Race but without the obnoxious volume.
I don't like the pops but I did get some from time to time coming off throttle. Sounds great with stock downpipe. Ran it that way for years.

Fibonacci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sig I'm contemplating the down pipe;how does this change the sound; difference in tone or just louder?

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Sig I'm contemplating the down pipe;how does this change the sound; difference in tone or just louder?
It is a bit louder, not massively, OUTSIDE the vehicle, but definitely louder inside but mostly under throttle. Cruising there's no difference I could hear. I think it sounds bad ass!! just a deep smooth sound!

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Walt, if you have any questions that we can answer, please don't hesitate to shoot over a PM or call us toll-free at 1-800-990-0905! We can say that our streetback is a popular choice for EB cars, but if its worth the price really depends on what you are looking for and how much you care about it. If you are looking for an exhaust solution with a lifetime warranty that can be installed yourself, improve sound, flow & power and meet the restrictions of your local laws/racetracks, then it would probably be worthwhile. If you didn't care as much about that and just wanted a little more sound, then a muffler upgrade would probably be a cheaper route. :like:

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Walt, if you have any questions that we can answer, please don't hesitate to shoot over a PM or call us toll-free at 1-800-990-0905! We can say that our streetback is a popular choice for EB cars, but if its worth the price really depends on what you are looking for and how much you care about it. If you are looking for an exhaust solution with a lifetime warranty that can be installed yourself, improve sound, flow & power and meet the restrictions of your local laws/racetracks, then it would probably be worthwhile. If you didn't care as much about that and just wanted a little more sound, then a muffler upgrade would probably be a cheaper route. :like:
Do you have any dB numbers of the Magnaflow Street? Are you sure it is under 95 dB? If not would you be willing to do some measurements? Just a smartphone dB meter app will do if you don't have access to a meter. It won't meet the restrictions of my local laws though since it does not have an EC certificate. It would be nice if it was homologated but it is not a dealbreaker though I could just swap exhaust every year I go to inspections. I worry more about the racetrack rules.
Sponsored