Michigan is a long way from California

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
This isn't a complaint threat just an FYI on what I found for my car. There are certain environmental factors that nobody can control for. My car was on a train for over two weeks, then it sat at the dealer for just over a week. I was hoping just to be able to glaze and wax the car right away, avoiding having to clay bar it since the paint would be new. Unfortunately this was not the case, even after a good wash, the paint was a bit rough to the touch, it needed to be clayed. I put forth the effort and I was glad I did, there were black debris and contaminates being left in the clay, much more than I thought would come out on a new car. I live in LA so the air quality is relatively bad, and has a lot of particulate matter, so cars get dirty quick. My philosophy is claying shouldn't be done to a schedule, it either needs it or it doesn't. In this case, it needed it. I would recommend you guys give it a thought when you receive your cars, investment now up front will pay off later. Give it the basic feel test, with the car clean, and clean hands, run the back of your hand over the paint, it should feel smooth, like glass. After the clay the paint was much smoother, it felt like it should, properly prepped for the next products.

I wanted to see darker blue color options from Ford, but this Velocity Blue has really grown on me and I'm happy with my color choice. The color can't be described as anything other than blue, its a saturated color, but it has no purple or midnight in it. The phone camera in these pictures make it appear lighter in color than reality (HDR on and off). The sky was completely clear, so this is direct sunlight at about 1:30pm. The rear shot is closest to reality. In the very close photo, that is all reflection no scratches! The paint flake is smaller than it was on my S197 in "Sterling Silver".

I used Mother's "California Gold Clay Bar Kit", Chemical Guys "Glossworkz", and Meguair's NXT Tech wax 2.0. All products hand applied. Shout out to the Velocity Blue crew.

20210904_131944.jpg

20210904_132024.jpg

20210904_132059.jpg

20210904_132112.jpg

20210904_135537.jpg

20210904_135546.jpg

Inked20210904_151325_LI.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
That looks sick Adam! The metallic really pops. Congrats on a beautiful car!

Voodoo2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 #3148 700a Race red
I highly recommend to de-iron the car and wheels right away. I did and was surprised how much there appeared to be, given the box cars are covered.
My car can to BC Canada

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
i dont know... but it looks good to me.

Thesauerchise

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Optima, 2021 Mach 1
This isn't a complaint threat just an FYI on what I found for my car. There are certain environmental factors that nobody can control for. My car was on a train for over two weeks, then it sat at the dealer for just over a week. I was hoping just to be able to glaze and wax the car right away, avoiding having to clay bar it since the paint would be new. Unfortunately this was not the case, even after a good wash, the paint was a bit rough to the touch, it needed to be clayed. I put forth the effort and I was glad I did, there were black debris and contaminates being left in the clay, much more than I thought would come out on a new car. I live in LA so the air quality is relatively bad, and has a lot of particulate matter, so cars get dirty quick. My philosophy is claying shouldn't be done to a schedule, it either needs it or it doesn't. In this case, it needed it. I would recommend you guys give it a thought when you receive your cars, investment now up front will pay off later. Give it the basic feel test, with the car clean, and clean hands, run the back of your hand over the paint, it should feel smooth, like glass. After the clay the paint was much smoother, it felt like it should, properly prepped for the next products.

I wanted to see darker blue color options from Ford, but this Velocity Blue has really grown on me and I'm happy with my color choice. The color can't be described as anything other than blue, its a saturated color, but it has no purple or midnight in it. The phone camera in these pictures make it appear lighter in color than reality (HDR on and off). The sky was completely clear, so this is direct sunlight at about 1:30pm. The rear shot is closest to reality. In the very close photo, that is all reflection no scratches! The paint flake is smaller than it was on my S197 in "Sterling Silver".

I used Mother's "California Gold Clay Bar Kit", Chemical Guys "Glossworkz", and Meguair's NXT Tech wax 2.0. All products hand applied. Shout out to the Velocity Blue crew.

20210904_131944.jpg

20210904_132024.jpg

20210904_132059.jpg

20210904_132112.jpg

20210904_135537.jpg

20210904_135546.jpg

Velocity Blue (Mach 1 even more so!) shine up so well.
D6C72E9E-3ED5-4BD9-9E8B-40FFA707A984.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue (Mach 1 even more so!) shine up so well.
D6C72E9E-3ED5-4BD9-9E8B-40FFA707A984.jpeg
Your camera seems to pick up the darker tone of the color more correctly.

This is more representative of what my eye sees instead of the camera.

Damn That looks great thanks for putting it on the thread!

Thesauerchise

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Optima, 2021 Mach 1
Your camera seems to pick up the darker tone of the color more correctly.

This is more representative of what my eye sees instead of the camera.

Damn That looks great thanks for putting it on the thread!
My iPhone 11, donā€™t think I had it in any special mode but I agree it is a great representation of how I see it as well.
Whatever the sun angle was that day really hit it right.
While Iā€™m glad I stuck with the base wheels, that old school look is what I love, seeing yours does make me question it.

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

20210904_131944.jpg

20210904_132024.jpg

20210904_132059.jpg

20210904_132112.jpg

20210904_135537.jpg

20210904_135546.jpg

I have the Velocity Blue as well. Really amazing look!

Sorry you had a rough time with the delivery, but really sweet and with the trials, yes?

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I have the Velocity Blue as well. Really amazing look!

Sorry you had a rough time with the delivery, but really sweet and with the trials, yes?

More I research the more people I see who say, its pretty common to have to clay just from transport, as a user mentioned above even in closed rail cars, there is a ton of iron dust they are subjected too...

The car has exceeded my expectations, it feels different from the GT PP cars, and the Shelby GT350. Initial quality for me has been high, no fit and finish issues. Its good that we are hard on manufactures and demand the best, it pushes them to make better products. At the same time we really should give credit when it is due. I think it was Atlas1 who said it best (paraphrasing here) the disappointment in the Mach 1 stems more from people's own expectations rather than what Ford said the Mach 1 was meant to be. I think Ford hit their target for what they said it was going to be. In this day and age its really amazing that Ford has produced the GT350 and the Mach 1, superb cars. My dealership experience was great too.

Initial thoughts on the trials, I drive the car majority of the time in "Normal" mode, the roads are generally poor in my immediate area, and the Mach 1 soaks up the bumps beautifully. I'm really surprised how comfortable the ride is and the regular leather seats are. I'm 6ft, and 195lbs, 38-40 waist in most pants. The magneride is fantastic, and from my memory it feels different than the GT PPs I drove with magneride, they say its different tuning, or perhaps its just placebo, but it feels more compliant to me. Sport + definitely stiffens up the suspension noticeable with just the flip of the switch, sharpens the throttles inputs too. Normal take off in first gear feels different on the gas pedal between the two modes.

The transmission and engine play so nicely together, the rev match downshift works perfectly every time at different RPMs. This feature is definitely going to be a matter of taste for people, but I will say it works as designed. Of course I haven't been able to drive the car more than 5/10ths but so far it works great. The Tremec is not a feather light shifter, its short, and heavier than most. I like that. I like firmer inputs in a sports car, pedals and shifter. Its not broken or anything, I'm not saying that at all, just don't expect super featherweight throws, there is a positive engagement feel between the gates that is heavier than most transmissions I have drove. The exhaust sound track is great, the perfect auto revmatch throttle blips on downshifts is cool. You will feel, look, and sound like a super star with it on!

On handling, I was going back and forth over HP and Non HP, I spent a lot of time thinking about that. On street driving at least I think I made the right decision for me, NON-HP is just fine on the street, the car doesn't overwhelm the tires and suspension (S197 problem I fixed with suspension and wider tires, and mine was even a Brembo PKG to start with!), again I haven't done some really hard driving on them, but for street driving with a bit of spice thrown in, they are perfectly fine. I will not be widening the rubbers at all. Perhaps I will feel differently when I track it, we will see....

I'm kicking around the idea of HP wing in the back, more for aesthetics, but I'm more focused on Fog Lamps. On that issue, in photos I felt like the car looked "unfinished" with the absence of for lamps, in person it doesn't look nearly as bad as I felt the pictures did. I still think some fogs in there would be better, but my motivation to screw with it is less than before, so plus one there.

The way the car market is headed and government regulations are going, I see myself in this car for a VERY long time. It checks all the boxes, has two personalities, the blend of performance and comfort that hits the spot for me. Even if it doesn't hit my expectations at the track I still don't think I will be dissuaded, there are remedies for track day deficiencies after all.

I'm in the camp that thinks the availability and relative affordability for cars that offer this much performance are numbered. If I had to guess within 10 years, cars like this will be uber expensive, out of reach for a guy like me. V8s will be relics, or something that is super rare and unaffordable. I hope I'm wrong because I want fun cars to exist!

Appreciate the compliments on the paint, I did spend some hours on it.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
More I research the more people I see who say, its pretty common to have to clay just from transport, as a user mentioned above even in closed rail cars, there is a ton of iron dust they are subjected too...

The car has exceeded my expectations, it feels different from the GT PP cars, and the Shelby GT350. Initial quality for me has been high, no fit and finish issues. Its good that we are hard on manufactures and demand the best, it pushes them to make better products. At the same time we really should give credit when it is due. I think it was Atlas1 who said it best (paraphrasing here) the disappointment in the Mach 1 stems more from people's own expectations rather than what Ford said the Mach 1 was meant to be. I think Ford hit their target for what they said it was going to be. In this day and age its really amazing that Ford has produced the GT350 and the Mach 1, superb cars. My dealership experience was great too.

Initial thoughts on the trials, I drive the car majority of the time in "Normal" mode, the roads are generally poor in my immediate area, and the Mach 1 soaks up the bumps beautifully. I'm really surprised how comfortable the ride is and the regular leather seats are. I'm 6ft, and 195lbs, 38-40 waist in most pants. The magneride is fantastic, and from my memory it feels different than the GT PPs I drove with magneride, they say its different tuning, or perhaps its just placebo, but it feels more compliant to me. Sport + definitely stiffens up the suspension noticeable with just the flip of the switch, sharpens the throttles inputs too. Normal take off in first gear feels different on the gas pedal between the two modes.

The transmission and engine play so nicely together, the rev match downshift works perfectly every time at different RPMs. This feature is definitely going to be a matter of taste for people, but I will say it works as designed. Of course I haven't been able to drive the car more than 5/10ths but so far it works great. The Tremec is not a feather light shifter, its short, and heavier than most. I like that. I like firmer inputs in a sports car, pedals and shifter. Its not broken or anything, I'm not saying that at all, just don't expect super featherweight throws, there is a positive engagement feel between the gates that is heavier than most transmissions I have drove. The exhaust sound track is great, the perfect auto revmatch throttle blips on downshifts is cool. You will feel, look, and sound like a super star with it on!

On handling, I was going back and forth over HP and Non HP, I spent a lot of time thinking about that. On street driving at least I think I made the right decision for me, NON-HP is just fine on the street, the car doesn't overwhelm the tires and suspension (S197 problem I fixed with suspension and wider tires, and mine was even a Brembo PKG to start with!), again I haven't done some really hard driving on them, but for street driving with a bit of spice thrown in, they are perfectly fine. I will not be widening the rubbers at all. Perhaps I will feel differently when I track it, we will see....

I'm kicking around the idea of HP wing in the back, more for aesthetics, but I'm more focused on Fog Lamps. On that issue, in photos I felt like the car looked "unfinished" with the absence of for lamps, in person it doesn't look nearly as bad as I felt the pictures did. I still think some fogs in there would be better, but my motivation to screw with it is less than before, so plus one there.

The way the car market is headed and government regulations are going, I see myself in this car for a VERY long time. It checks all the boxes, has two personalities, the blend of performance and comfort that hits the spot for me. Even if it doesn't hit my expectations at the track I still don't think I will be dissuaded, there are remedies for track day deficiencies after all.

I'm in the camp that thinks the availability and relative affordability for cars that offer this much performance are numbered. If I had to guess within 10 years, cars like this will be uber expensive, out of reach for a guy like me. V8s will be relics, or something that is super rare and unaffordable. I hope I'm wrong because I want fun cars to exist!

Appreciate the compliments on the paint, I did spend some hours on it.
Extremely well said! Especially about the fog lights or lack there of. If diode dynamics comes out with something good for us Iā€™ll do it. Otherwise Iā€™ll still be happy. In person the car looks better than pictures. And you are totally right that we are fast approaching the time when these cars will not be sitting at dealers for us to pick from. This is definitely a car worth holding long term!

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful M1. Good luck with it i did the same with my GT/CS. Did not have dealer prep exterior. clay barred mine after first wash and started my polish regiment using Zaino products. Velocity Blue is great. I would have like Kona Blue but it wasnā€™t available for 21. The antimatter blue was too dark for me. I had an 06 GT That was Vista Blue Metallic. VB is in the same family.

891929BD-0D17-495A-9F70-B698658280A7.jpeg

F4E21C1C-B2E4-4B61-9A36-814279711424.jpeg

3CED6293-F570-49D8-A2DD-B08316273BFC.jpeg

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Beautiful M1. Good luck with it i did the same with my GT/CS. Did not have dealer prep exterior. clay barred mine after first wash and started my polish regiment using Zaino products. Velocity Blue is great. I would have like Kona Blue but it wasnā€™t available for 21. The antimatter blue was too dark for me. I had an 06 GT That was Vista Blue Metallic. VB is in the same family.

891929BD-0D17-495A-9F70-B698658280A7.jpeg

F4E21C1C-B2E4-4B61-9A36-814279711424.jpeg

3CED6293-F570-49D8-A2DD-B08316273BFC.jpeg
Look at that, serious gloss! I felt the same about the blues you mentioned. I always liked the tri-bar pony logo in the front of the CS cars. I liked it so much I equipped my 2014 with the Boss 302 grille to get it, plus I liked the honeycomb on the 302 grille.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at that, serious gloss! I felt the same about the blues you mentioned. I always liked the tri-bar pony logo in the front of the CS cars. I liked it so much I equipped my 2014 with the Boss 302 grille to get it, plus I liked the honeycomb on the 302 grille.
Thanks. My CS was transported to NJ by truck so no rail dust or nasty stuff found when I clayed it. Was happy about that. The front grill sold it for me. Boss grill is awesome. I love the look of the M1 with fog lights, even though faux. Thatā€™s the one thing I miss from my 06, the fog lights in grill. I would want functional fogs on a M1.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Bobn57, out of curiosity did you hand or machine polish the car?
The end result is outstanding.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bobn57, out of curiosity did you hand or machine polish the car?
The end result is outstanding.
Thanks, all done by hand. Iā€™m thinking of getting a polishing da. Itā€™s getting harder the older I get šŸ˜ thinking about chemical guys torq polisher. Ive been using Zaino products since 1999. After clay I used ZAIO which is a cleaner and base for the detail polish Z5. It just takes so long to do it by hand.
Sponsored