Sponsored

Meth

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
So, In my search for a proper water/meth setup, I have run across a bunch of companies and systems and I'm trying to figure out which one would be the best and safest bang for the buck! I live in Cali and I am limited to 91 octane. The choice to add this is simple, since the only other choices to boost performance through fuel, are running race fuel or octane additives and mixing and matching to get consistent octane every tank of gas. Conversion to E85 is out, not convenient. Mixing seems like a pain in the butt to me since this is my DD and I fill my tank every 3 days, What I'd like to know from people that are running systems either in this state or out is which one works best for you...the pros and cons stuff.

Companies I have looked at are (is not complete of course!)

AEM
Snow
Devils Own
Prometh
Aquamist
NX
Cooling Mist

I know there are more but feel free to let me know if I have forgotten anyone. And Aquamist made a great comparison chart although its dated from 2014
Sponsored

Last edited:

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
In for this as well. Didn't want to have to consider meth but I have the same concerns and reservations about RGA, Octanium, etc....

My last data log showed considerable knock resistance according to Torrie. I'm hoping it was my fuel brand as I had filled up with Shell vs my normal Mobil. Torrie said he would have to dial back boost if it persists.....ugh.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
The biggest pain will easily be the install, the easiest part will be hauling a$$ on command.

Make sure you have a solenoid AND check valve in your system. Always best to be safe

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Most systems integrate the check valve in the nozzle which is basically the function of the solenoid but passively, however they also offer the solenoid as an option.

Most guys I know are not running the solenoid, but you can also add a check valve inline in lieu of one.

The issue I had with my 16 and adding a solenoid is it is more wiring, and with the controller, water lines, vacuum sources, extra switches and relays there already is an abundance of stuff to route all over the place, that is why I opted out of the solenoid and just added another check valve.

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
I would suggest against DO kits, I know a lot of people that have had issues with the controller circuit board actually frying. From the tuners I know AEM and aquamist are some of the more popular ones. Be sure to also install a fail-safe in case you run out of. Tune+ used to have a full kit for our cars but seems to have disappeared from their site, but he has a good video of the install.

Sponsored

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most systems integrate the check valve in the nozzle which is basically the function of the solenoid but passively, however they also offer the solenoid as an option.

Most guys I know are not running the solenoid, but you can also add a check valve inline in lieu of one.

The issue I had with my 16 and adding a solenoid is it is more wiring, and with the controller, water lines, vacuum sources, extra switches and relays there already is an abundance of stuff to route all over the place, that is why I opted out of the solenoid and just added another check valve.
I just run both because if a valve fails, it fails open and if you have a scenario where idle pulls in meth, you could have an issue. If a solenoid fails it's known either by wiring (wired in the pump circuit) or it fails closed which would be found by controller. Obviously having either is necessary, just my preference to have each. I kept my solenoid in the trunk after the pump so wiring was short. Valve in injector at TB spacer (built in)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Check out Alky Control.

They were recommended to me by another member and after looking at them, their kits seem much higher quality than most others. They dont use push-in nylon lines, they actually use braided lines that screw on to attach, and supposedly their pumps are better quality.

I dont have a EB but I figured I could still help here since I've looked into meth kits alot. I plan on going with Alky Control very soon. I have not called them yet but I have heard the owner is very helpful and nice as well, and will set you up with everything you need.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just run both because if a valve fails, it fails open and if you have a scenario where idle pulls in meth, you could have an issue. If a solenoid fails it's known either by wiring (wired in the pump circuit) or it fails closed which would be found by controller. Obviously having either is necessary, just my preference to have each. I kept my solenoid in the trunk after the pump so wiring was short. Valve in injector at TB spacer (built in)
agreed, I am running a second one down stream just felt the active solenoid was a bit much for a casual application. Also tbo I was doing the install and I felt the number of wires was getting silly lol.

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang

Sponsored

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
agreed, I am running a second one down stream just felt the active solenoid was a bit much for a casual application. Also tbo I was doing the install and I felt the number of wires was getting silly lol.
Dude, I don't think I would ever want to do that install again. I'm not new to wiring, tools or good work by any means, do wiring daily for work.

That said, this dunce completed the install in a record 13 hours over 2 days. To be fair that includes the AEM failsafe pillar gauge and o2 sensor

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
How did you find out your nozzle went out?
The first nozzle that went bad the symptoms were subtle at first. I was using a lot of boost juice. I contributed it to my aggressive driving. Then it got worse. After extended idle times like in traffic I would accelerate and the engine would stumble with dead misses and then it would clear up. I didn't know what was wrong, I changed plugs a couple times with no fix. Looking back what I think was happening the water/meth was puddling in the intake and would suck up enough to keep the cylinders from igniting. It was bad. It wasn't until I put straight methanol in the tank and I had below ambient charge temps during normal driving that I suspected siphoning from the meth tank. I put tape at the level in the tank and drove to work with the kit off. In 30 minutes driving I lost a couple inches of methanol. I ordered and installed a new nozzle kit. The second nozzle went bad quick, in just a couple weeks. I started seeing low charge temps again was the sign. That's when I added the inline check valve. No problems at all after that.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info! I have that right now actually but it's not broke (yet..) so ill definitely be ordering another valve

OP
OP

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Any of you, injecting using a manifold spacer or are you using charge pipe or throttle body spacers?
Sponsored