McLeod RST

Ricardoduran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
It’s been around a year sense I’ve had this clutch ,and to be honest I’m not sure if it’s the clutch itself or the people that installed it . But it’s a pain to drive ; first gear the engagement point is so high that sometimes the car feels like it might stall. Not only that reverse as well is a pain . I’ve read so many forums on this clutch , especially on how they have to rev it out to 1.5k - 2k rpm’s just to get it out of first gear . And I believed it for a while Till one of friends got the same clutch kit and his engagement is the same as stock . If anybody has had this issue and knows a fix please let me know . Thank you
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It’s been around a year sense I’ve had this clutch ,and to be honest I’m not sure if it’s the clutch itself or the people that installed it . But it’s a pain to drive ; first gear the engagement point is so high that sometimes the car feels like it might stall. Not only that reverse as well is a pain . I’ve read so many forums on this clutch , especially on how they have to rev it out to 1.5k - 2k rpm’s just to get it out of first gear . And I believed it for a while Till one of friends got the same clutch kit and his engagement is the same as stock . If anybody has had this issue and knows a fix please let me know . Thank you
What do you mean you have to rev it to get it out of first? Like it's stuck in gear and you have to rev it to pull it to neutral?

OP
OP

Ricardoduran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
What do you mean you have to rev it to get it out of first? Like it's stuck in gear and you have to rev it to pull it to neutral?
To get out of first gear I need to rev to 1.5k 2k rpms just so I don’t stall .anything less and my car is shaking ,ready to stall .

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
To get out of first gear I need to rev to 1.5k 2k rpms just so I don’t stall .anything less and my car is shaking ,ready to stall .
Ok so you have to rev it up before disengaging the clutch to take off in first?

When you're stopped does it go into first and reverse easy or is there resistance? And does it shift through all the other gears ok once your moving?

OP
OP

Ricardoduran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Ok so you have to rev it up before disengaging the clutch to take off in first?

When you're stopped does it go into first and reverse easy or is there resistance? And does it shift through all the other gears ok once your moving?
Yes , and Sometimes there’s a little resistance that I have to go back in neutral and go into first or reverse again even though my foot is all the way on the floor pressing the clutch . And threw out every other gear it shifts fine sometimes a little trouble with 5th .

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Are you running the mcleod slave cylinder or did you put a new oem back in?

We have lots of problems with the mcleod slave cylinders shitting the bed.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yes , and Sometimes there’s a little resistance that I have to go back in neutral and go into first or reverse again even though my foot is all the way on the floor pressing the clutch . And threw out every other gear it shifts fine sometimes a little trouble with 5th .
Could be quite a few things with these clutches... if the discs were contaminated with oil or grease during install it could cause the shuddering but that shouldn't cause any issues getting it in or out of gear or shifting 5th.

If the clutch is improperly shimmed that could be affecting engagement and causing the shudder.

You could have a part of the clutch that's warpped or bad.... floater plate, Pressure plate, slave...

Your fluid could be contaminated causing the shudder and poor engagement.

I'd start by checking the fluid to see if it looks OK. Not much else you can check without pulling the transmission again. And I agree about the mcleod slave. They are trouble. Stock is the best choice. But if your clutch isn't adjusted right it will take out a stock slave quick too.

OP
OP

Ricardoduran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Could be quite a few things with these clutches... if the discs were contaminated with oil or grease during install it could cause the shuddering but that shouldn't cause any issues getting it in or out of gear or shifting 5th.

If the clutch is improperly shimmed that could be affecting engagement and causing the shudder.

You could have a part of the clutch that's warpped or bad.... floater plate, Pressure plate, slave...

Your fluid could be contaminated causing the shudder and poor engagement.

I'd start by checking the fluid to see if it looks OK. Not much else you can check without pulling the transmission again. And I agree about the mcleod slave. They are trouble. Stock is the best choice. But if your clutch isn't adjusted right it will take out a stock slave quick too.
I think it’s best to get a new clutch because I did check the fluid looked normal , but either way I changed it and not a thing changed .As well as when it was installed the mechanics didn’t change the rear main seal . Which led to me a month later having to re drop my transmission again because I was leaking oil . I really wasn’t aware the trouble that was caused by the McLeod slave cylinders but I think that might be my issue ,I’m not sure . Like you guys said there’s so many things that could be wrong and all of them are expensive fixes . I have about 10k on the clutch and everyday I feel like it’s going to blow .

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I think it’s best to get a new clutch because I did check the fluid looked normal , but either way I changed it and not a thing changed .As well as when it was installed the mechanics didn’t change the rear main seal . Which led to me a month later having to re drop my transmission again because I was leaking oil . I really wasn’t aware the trouble that was caused by the McLeod slave cylinders but I think that might be my issue ,I’m not sure . Like you guys said there’s so many things that could be wrong and all of them are expensive fixes . I have about 10k on the clutch and everyday I feel like it’s going to blow .
I don't blame you. I'm running the lpxhd which is made by mcleod and I wouldn't buy either again. The instructions are wrong, the tech support gives bad advice 2 out of 3 times. I had to drop my tranny 3 times to get it shifting ok. Still not 100% happy but it's pretty good finally. I'm going to drive it as long as it lasts then make a switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ricardoduran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I don't blame you. I'm running the lpxhd which is made by mcleod and I wouldn't buy either again. The instructions are wrong, the tech support gives bad advice 2 out of 3 times. I had to drop my tranny 3 times to get it shifting ok. Still not 100% happy but it's pretty good finally. I'm going to drive it as long as it lasts then make a switch.
Same boat as you my friend I’m driving it till I have to get another one because I spent way more then I was suppose already . Had to drop trans two times plus the cost of the kit

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm willing to bet the floating plate is no longer flat and has become cone shaped. Hope you can report back what you find.
Good chance your right but I think the OP has had these issues since it was installed so if this is the case, It probably came that way.
Sponsored